3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather Rest  (Read 357 times)

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather Rest
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I viewed a thread awhile back about a member who was making feather rests for sale.  I believe his name was Trap.  I would like to try one of these rests.  
Thanks!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather Rest
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I believe I purchased mine from Kustom King. FYI, mine wore out EXTREMELY quick.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Check out the sponsors classified add section.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I've had hundreds of shots through my "Trap Feather Rests" and still look like new.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I love Trap's rests-great product.

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Trap's rest are the best. Mine have held up well, and are cheap if you need to replace one.
Keith Karr

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I'll add another vote for Trap. I've used them on at least 8 of my bows and they hold up very well.
But the telling story is that I've purchased numerous used bows from the classified section already installed with Traps' featherests.
How do I know they are Traps?
I can tell by the quality of the craftsman that made them.
Fred Arnold
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I will 2nd and 3rd what others have said too. TRAP rests are the way to go. Top notch guy to deal with all the way.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Repeat of above.  I do have one that needs to be replaced after I took about 2,000-3,000 shots on it.  I don't know how many times Kenny shot on it before we bought the bow from him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Just in case nobody mentions it..   :rolleyes:   .....TRAP's are the best. PERIOD.

PM him here, but I know he has been taking a break from the boards for a while enjoying some great Missouri weather with his family.

If you PM me your info, I will either get you in touch with him ASAP or I'll talk to him and arrange to get you taken care of at the BBTC if you are going. I have a small inventory of his rests, and you could just send him the $$ if you want to pick one or two up at Baltimore, if thats cool with TRAP.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks.  Does anyone have the link to the spot in the Sponsor Classifieds?  I cannot find it through searching.
John
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Sounds like I need to try one of Trap's feather rests! What I said earlier about the lack of durability was in no way a commentary about Trap's products. I, apparently, was using one of the lesser quality feather rests.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Dusty, I have been "charged" with the responsibility by TRAP to see how much abuse one of his rests can take. Kind of like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" type of deal. I have been using (abusing) one of his rests for the better part of almost 2 years now. Thousands of shots, including using vane fletched arrows and several bowfishing trips with a wet fiberglass arrow.

I have backup rests, but have not had to replace it yet. It is like the Energizer Bunny. I keep trying to find new ways to ramp up my rest abuse level.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Trap's rests for sure.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
been shooting one of traps rests as well....maybe 1200 arrows across it.......works VERY well. I'm going to order a few back-ups and outfit 2 other bows as well. Let him know right or left hand...(he'll ask !).....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
How do feather rests hold up in rain???
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments fellas.  Even I am amazed at how well they hold up.  I know I sell alot less now than I used to.  Maybe I should make them a little "cheaper"  ;)  

"How do feather rests hold up in rain???"

I get asked this question quite a bit. Feather rests hold up about as well as arrow fletching does.  When they are soaked they lay down and then when they dry out they take their shape back and keep performing.  In a drizzle they are fine.  In damp situations they are fine.  

When it's raining hard enough to cause your arrow fletch and feather rest to lay flat, you should be more concerned about being able to follow blood trails under such conditions.  

I hunt hard and in really crappy weather sometimes.  I havent had one fail yet.  

Again, thanks for the nice comments, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Trap,  are yours different than the ones 3 Rivers sells?  I bought a couple from them and they didn't last 1 day.  I guess I'll have to get some from you and see.  They look good, and I thought they were worth a try.  Guess I'll have to try again.

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I ordered one feather rest from Trap and he sent me a left and a right. I forgot to tell him which side so he sent me one of each.These are great additions to your bow. I am surprised how durable they are. Personally, I think Trap does not charge enough.By the way, Trap, I will pay you for the other one you sent me.
Living the Dream

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Don't sweat it Brian,  Just pass it along to someone that can use it.

Keith, I think the biggest difference is wild turkey feathers vs. domestic turkey feathers.  A turkey that makes his living outside is just a tougher beast and has to have better "gear".

I'm sure adhesives, material, construction and a lower profile make a difference as well.  I've disected several original Bear feather rests and have tried to get as close as I can to those.  Hey some of them have been on bows for 50+ years.  They had to be fairly durable.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©