3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Elk ?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Elk ?
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey Guys,
     I am gonna head to colorado to hunt elk this year. I have been on the phone with the a few people from the division of wildlife there but my question to "actual" hunters is. How is the hunting during thier muzzleloader season. We are all bowhunters but would like to try and hunt them during the middle of the month during the rut. Would we be better off being there opening day and hunting until the muzzleloader seaon starts? We are thinking nw colorado. The other 2 guys I am hunting with are ages 60 and 71. What should be expect for terrain?
 Thanks and any help would be much appreciated!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Elk ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Jamie

It all just depends on what unit you are in, but I have noticed that with the new in-line muzzle-rifles, muzzle loading season has gotten more and more popular.  It only lasts a week, which is good, so I would recommend you go after it is over if at all possible.

Terrain again depends on area, but elk in that part of CO tend to like the oak brush areas, which can be a bear to hunt the you won't find alot of high elevation steep mountains if you are hunting the oak brush.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
You are going to get a variety of opinions on this. Personally after many yeaRs hunting elk, I prefer opening day. The animals have not been harassed andare more accessable.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I agree with Bill. elk get harded to find and call as pressure goes up. also opening day elk arent herded up completely and its easier to get on bigger bulls. after muzzleloader season i usually have to go a long way to find elk because they have been pushed to the more remote areas

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Find out if there are a lot of ML tags available for the unit you want to hunt.  If there are (or if they are Over-the-counter (unlimited in number)then I would hunt before or after ML season but after could be bad too as the elk will be spooked. Also, I would try to find an area that has little bowhunters because if there are a lot, sometimes they bugle all the elk away.  If you can get a leftover tag for an undersubscribed unit or find a spot that no one else wants to hike to (read rough access) that might be a good spot. IMO, if the elk have not been harrassed, the last 2 weeks of the archery season is the best time to get into vocal bulls that will respond to the calls.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Oh, as far as terrain, your going to have to look at maps of the area you want to hunt.  The terrain for elk can be plains or rugged peaks from 5,000 to 13,000 feet in elevation.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
For a first time elk hunter not familiar with the hunting unit the most important thing to begin with is to actually find where the elk are. The elk are less pressured earlier but not nearly as vocal. If you don't find them you can't kill them. My buddies and I have gone to unfamiliar areas early before and it seems like the majority of our hunt was spent just trying to figure out where the elk were. It is very frustrating finally fiding the elk on the last day you have to hunt. My advice is get as much time off as you can and hunt as late as you can since the elk will be loudly advertising there location at that time. It may be harder to call in a herd bull at that time but I think the satellite bulls are very vulnerable. Good luck and have fun!
              Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Well James, coming from a flat lander, (Ga.) hunted Co. over 10 yrs. for me its been really hard finding an area that does not have a lot of hunters. One yr. just scouted for several days an wound up just driving home without buying a tag(too many people).  Terrain goes from very steep to mild, too a flat lander its all up hill!
My opinion is later in the season, found much more bulging at that time.  You have got to locate elk before you actually hunt or you will be hunting areas that the elk have been in, but not now.  Good luck an remember if you think you are in shape, lol, you probably are not. At least its been my experience.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I know alot of folks who hunt right alongside the muzzle loaders. In my unit, however, I tend to avoid them - there are just too many, and they tend to be the 'ride around on an ATV' crowd - not saying there aren't bowhunters who do the same, but they are fewer.

Alot depends on how you want to hunt. If you're primary interest is calling & hearing elk - I would go Muzzleloader or the last week of the season - granted the elk may be reluctant to actually come in because they'll be herded up, but at least you'll hear them.

Early on is a good time to use passive hunting methods - tree stands, ground blinds, or quiet spot & stalk. If you go early, I would suggest going a couple days before the opener with the hopes of having some elk patterned for the opener - I think this is one of the best times to get one as you can hunt undisturbed animals. Also, if you want to shoot any elk - this IMO is the best time, since they are in smaller groups, and  a little more disbursed, you have a little better likelyhood of bumping into one within range.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Call Vince at MOHAWK Bows.   :thumbsup:   He lives in Conifer. He's a sponsor here and can help you out!    :archer:    :archer2:

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. It is truley appreciated.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »
I learned my leason on exactly that. Stay away from any gun season, it's nuts.
This year I'm skipping the first couple days and won't hunt untill the first through the tenth. The full moon cycle will be ending in late Aug and I don't like the full moon.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
ttt, it's getting close to crunch time! Thanks again guys!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©