3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help going real trad  (Read 294 times)

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
help going real trad
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
looking into either wood or bamboo arrows is one better then the other, also anyone in tn. know if its legal to hunt with stone knapped broadheads, where would be the best place to buy these items?
john 3:16

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help going real trad
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
not sure on bambo but its out there ...  www.arrowwoods.com,  bill is a great guy he will help you pick the right shafts
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
thanks for your help,but do you know if one is better than the other.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Have I posted this in the wrong place or is there no one out there that knows the pro and cons of bamboo and wood arrows please help, or does anyone know how I could pm and ask.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Wrong forum dude. Try asking in the Pow Wow.

Oh, PM on the way.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Wood arrows are more uniform and consistent, also heavier. I have never seen a true bamboo arrow but cane, yes. I have a number of river cane arrows that work fine but are light and very inconsistent. The biggest draw to cane is if that is what is available to you.
Dav

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
The bamboo and cane arrows are usually used by the primitive shooters.  They can work very well, but are going to be quite a bit more work.

Commercially produced wood shafts are what most wood arrow shooters, including myself, use.  There are several sources and species of wood being made into arrows.  Port Orford Cedar has been probably the most common for many years.  It is still a good arrow wood, but finding quality POC shafts can be an issue.  I've been a big fan of Douglas Fir for several years and have been shooting some Sitka Spruce recently.  Other woods include pine, poplar birch, ramin, ash, hexpine, maple and hickory.  Each wood species has its particular characteristics and pros and cons.  Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
thanks robtattoo,tradgang has moved this to powwow,and thanks Davt, did you make your own cane arrows or buy them, I was thinking that a supplier would have better uniform arrows, if I go wood what wood arrows are the best.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
TO be truly "Traditional" don't you need to build it all yourself? Just asking.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
If you get well made cane arrows the only thing that shoots better is carbon,imo, they are a lot of work, but I have found a guy who makes some of the best cane arrows I have seen for a little 100.00 a doz. I am picking up a dozen next week. these arrows weigh around 540 grains with a 125 gr point.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
vermonster13, in a way your right and as soon as I learn enough I will make my own I made the bow and I will learn to knap my own points. thanks hill hunter would you share who you got your cane arrows from.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
RB; I just sent you a PM
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
ok it seems there isn't many here that know alot about this post I have one that prefers wood and one that prefers cane if they are done right, and one that prefers wood but also sells wood arrows,I decided to go with tonkin cane arrows.If there is anyone that would like to send me say 3 wood arrows I will test them along with the cane arrows and give a fair report,I am new to this there for will not be bias one way or the other.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I bought some bulk tonkin cane "tomato" stakes this year. I like the way they look and shoot. The biggest drawback is the amount of time it takes to build one. I'll bet I have close to 1 hour in each arrow by the time I get it completely finished. A hundred dollars for a dozen completed tonkin shafts would be cheap as far as I'm concerned and a good deal!
 I have posted some pictures of mine on some other threads if you want to do a search.

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I've found a couple suppliers of good cane shafts that come already straightened.
The tonkin cane "that I've worked with" seemed to be more inconsistent than other types available.
I normally get 2 dz shafts at a time that are matched in spine. I weigh them myself and generally can come close enough to match sets in 1/2 dozens. Any oddballs are put aside until I get enough to match up a set of stumping arrows.
The great beauty of cane is that they are hollow centered. If weight is off by 10- 20 gr or even more, you can insert a nail in the point end and get them coming all in around the same total weight.
I remain using wood also and have found terrific shafts available. Superceders, Surewood, Sitka Spruce and Douglas Fir being my favorite in that order.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
If you go "Real" Trad, can you even discuss it on the Internet? Wouldn't that be "Cyber Trad" or something like that?  :bigsmyl:
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
earl e nov...mber , you so funny, yeah you are right I'm selling my house makeing a mud hut.I like your tag line its so right.

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Mr. Brewer,

I cannot do a compare and contrast since I've never shot bamboo, but I've been shooting wood arrows since 1962. I did buy a dozen fiberglass arrows, but as they were lost or broken, I went back to wood.  Then I did buy some aluminum arrows, but the same cycle, and currently, I have four dozen wood shafts in the shop that I'll be making into finished arrows this spring/summer that will keep me in arrows the next four or five years.  Fiberglass, aluminum, and carbon (that I've never shot) all have good things going for them, but they're not wood shafts.  I don't shoot beyond twenty yards and don't hunt beyond ten yards...wood is where it's at !!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Ken, Now I know how to describe myself when asked.
Cyber Trad type a guy.  :biglaugh:
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Cane Arrows tend to be light in weight vs. Cedar
Cedar is more predictable with finished Arrow weight and it has a wonderfull aroma.

Just a preferance

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©