3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winds effect on arrow point of impact?  (Read 316 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Winds effect on arrow point of impact?
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Ok, I read something on an archery book, the blue one with all the arrows in the bullseye. It was saying how wind effects arrow flight.

It states that an arrow will hit in the direction the wind is coming from. At first this forgoes my common sense, but the more I thank about it the more  I can understand that there is probably some physics going on that I can almost understand.

I went out and tried it today, rather breezy not "windy" and I have to say I think its true haha.

So someone please school me on wind, its effects, maybe a formula, and some real world experience.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winds effect on arrow point of impact?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Regardless of projectile, the ability to dope the wind is what separates a "shooter" from a "Master Marksman."  There is only one real way to learn.  As you live in Texas, you will have ample opportunity for practice.  H    :archer2:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Only if the wind is coming from behind you.  A wind from some degree of left will blow the arrow off course to the right, and vice versa.The stronger the wind, the thicker the shaft, the larger the head and feathers, the greater the effect, etc.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I plan to learn to shoot it. I want to learn why its doing what its doing. If I can understand something that will help me better learn how to control it.

So does an arrow actually fly into the wind and hit left if the wind is coming from the left? Or is my shooting form and arrow tuning that horrible? haha
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Which way does the grass blow?  H

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm going to have to claim apples and oranges on that one ground hunter, sorry.    :)

I'm looking for hard facts. I'm a physiologist not a physicist. My theory is that with a crosswind the path of least resistance becomes into the wind causing the arrow to strike left with a left wind.

It's hard to explain without a diagram but when the arrow equalizes pressure on both side of the fletched end, the arrow points a certain degree into the wind. Following forward motion and the path of least resistance the arrow moves slightly into the wind. If there is no forward motion, or not enough to overcome wind speed, the arrow moves  to the right with a left wind.

Eh?   :D
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
The fletching is on the back and steers the arrow, if the wind drifts it left, the point is now headed to the right. Clear enough?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I know the passage of which you speak. Suffice it to say that every credible archery book I've ever read states the exact opposite: that an arrow will drift downwind...which is correct.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
AHH    :help:
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Are we talking constant wind or gusts?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Practical application and factual reason why. I have talked to several people and its about fifty fifty.

Tell me what it should do in both situations.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
It makes sense to me that that overall drift of the arrow would be in the direction that the wind is blowing......however, as vermonster illistrates the fletching is the area that would catch the most wind and is the lightest end of the arrow, therefore would make sense the arrow impact at an angle opposite of the wind direction.  If I am wrong, please correct me, I've been wrong before!!!!!!!

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Maybe I havn't thought this through.... I was assuming that the arrow was tipped with a field point.  Maybe not.  If there was a broadhead attached, and it had enough surface area to catch the same amount of wind force that the flecting is catching, if it was a certain weight, and it was rotating such that it would not change any of the "other" factors, then maybe there would only be a drift in the direction that the wind is blowing.  Or maybe I'll stick with my first post.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
It gets more complicated the more you think about it doesn't it Bob. I was thinking field tips for now.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
I've been thinking some more..... If you balance an arrow perfectly, with a field point, and turned on a fan from either side, wouldn't the arrow spin with the tip going toward the fan?  But at the same time wouldn't the arrow travel (roll) away from the fan?

BOB

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Given no friction by the floor the arrow would work like a wind vane and point to the wind. Add a little forward motion to the scenario and what would happen?
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
David nailed this one slam dunk. Only 2 days ago I spent 4 hours at intrevals with different bows and arrows outdoors with 35-50 MPH winds.
Consensus says point of impact marginal crosswind between 15-20 yds. with 15 to 23% forward.
Tailfeathers tell the true story on this one.
If you've never tried it with heavy crosswinds, you owe yourself an experiment with nature.
Point of impact actually surprised me. Tailfeathers definitely took a spin.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Can't say that I've ever experienced that phenomona. Yesterday I was shooting at the range. The wind was strong enough to flatten out the surrounding brush and knock branches out of trees. At 20 yards my arrows were impacting a good 4-6" off my point of aim. Wind was blowing perpendicular to my arrow, R to L. Arrows hit... left of center. Didn't even go past 30 because the wind made it too difficult to place arrows.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
The laws of physics have not changed at least not since I got my engineering degree.  If you are shooting at close ranges you will have a bit of an illusion of shooting a bit left in a wind from the left.  The wind effect on the fletch help push the butt of the arrow to the right and the tip to the left.  If we were all perfect shots we would see that an arrow shot with no cross wind would hit slightly left of one fired in a light cross wind from the left.  Most of us are not good enough shots to tell any difference in our groups at 20 yards.  

It is physically impossible for any mass to avoid being impacted ( moved ) to the right in a wind from the left.  Step back and try it again from 40 yards.  The affect on the arrow is more obvious at further distances.  A left wind moves the arrow right.  A right wind moves the arrow left. They are called the "Laws of Physics" for a reason.

A properly tuned arrow will not fly left in a left wind no matter what the head is.  An improperly tuned arrow might plane, but it would plane with out the wind too.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I agree Lowell, but would the "angle" of impact not be opposite of the direction the wind is blowing?   Assuming a properly tuned arrow.

BOB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©