3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Fishing Question  (Read 172 times)

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Fishing Question
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I'd really like to try bow fishing this year but I know nothing about it. How do I tune the solid fiberglass arrow? I can't find one with selective spines. What point should I use? Should I buy those rubber fletching products? Any help would be appreciated because I'd like to get out this summer.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline brmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Fishing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Dozer
I just started bowfishing last year with a longbow.  Had previously used an old compound.  I use the same arrows...just the whole length fiberglass arrow.  I don't use fletching.  I like to use the carp points, good penetration easy to remove from fish.  I do recommend the safety slides.  I have shot without the slides without problems, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure to avoid snapback.  The only other recommendation I have is to make sure you have plenty of arrows.  When the shooting gets wild, it's easy to miss something and standing with a bow and a lost arrow sucks.  Good luck.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
You don't tune fishing arrows.
You don't need the rubber fletching.
You  DO need the slides for safety sake.
You can get everything you need right here:  http://www.shopatron.com/products/category/182.0.1.1.1934.0.0.0.0
You  WILL have a blast!
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Where to start?  You won't need to tune the fish arrow.  It's weight and the string will keep it straight.  The rubber fletch thingy works best in the trash.  There are several good points to use.  I like the Muzzy or Cajun Piranha for bigger fish and a Shure Shot Penetrator for carp.  The nice thing about the Shure shot is that the barbs can be reversed easily by just unscrewing the shaft a couple of turns so you don't have to handle the stinky fish to get it off.  The newer type with the Muzzy style point is best.  Sully's or Backwater Bowfishing are good suppliers.

The reel option is up to you.  Nothing shoots as nice as the AMS Retreiver.  It seems kinda pricy, but will outlast several pushbutton reels.  The big pushbutton reels work pretty good, too.  There big advantage is that the reel in fast and you can sort of fight the fish with them.  Just make sure you push the button before you shoot.  The drum style reels are the cheapest and slowest.  They are simple and effective and you do all the work.  I think Bohning makes one that you can you can crank the line back in with.

The last thing you will need is a pair of polarized sunglasses.  Plan on having lots of fun, too.  I shot 6 or 8 carp this afternoon.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
I plan on shooting from a canoe. Will this work out ok? You guys have me pretty excited now.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Oh I strongly beg to differ, I definitely tune my bowfishing bows and arrows, but then again I am a little more extreme into it then most, but you want the arrow coming off the bow as perfectly straight as possible when it hits the water or else it will veer off in that direction and can make deeper shots very difficult to hit.  Ever wonder why your shots on some fish always appear to be right on but you still miss, that could be your answer!  I bare shaft tune my bowfishing arrows the same as my hunting setups and when I shot heavie draw weight bows I did have to cut down some arrows to get them flying better, but for the most bows in the 40-60# range, full length will work well, but definitely fine tune your nock height for the best flight.  I just use a arrow with the barbs removed to tune with but you can use some dock foam to shoot into with a barbed head but never shoot it into a broadhead target or you will not get it back out.
Layafletch is not needed on a bowfishing arrow as the line will keep it straight, they just cause erractic flight and do not use them.  Good luck!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I have never tuned my arrows. It is not a bad idea though. I own 3 rigs,AMS retriever,Bohning drum/reel and a Cajun screw in drum. I mostly use the Cajun screw in on my Kodiak Mag for the convienience. Muzzy points work the best for me. There is a interesting article in the latest Traditional Bowhunter on bow fishing from a canoe use a milk jug tied to the string rather than using a drum/reel on the bow. Gander Mnt sells a fiberglass arrow with a muzzt tip and safety slid for about $19.00. I usually but a couple a year.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©