3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Great Afternoon!!  (Read 351 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
A Great Afternoon!!
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
I had just got off the Mower, and Rounded Up My Tackle to do a  Little Target Practice  in the Back Yard. When I noticed one of the Neighbor Boys that live Just behind the Alley from Me, and Warned Him what I was going to do. I hate living in Town.  Except  for Times like This!!  :scared:    to them, which ended up in Me Standing Right Beside them as They shot for  2 Hours!! It was Great to Watch and Kind of Guide them  AT  the Paper, and when one Hit the Target, it was like a Home Run!! It was Great!!  I  was as Excited as They were!!  :saywhat:    
      They Each did a Fine Job, for  "THEIR VERY   FIRST TIME!!"  Made me get the Warm & Fuzzies. hahaha Anyway, No  REAL  Damage Done, Little Luke bounced an Arrow off the Garage Siding, just a Dent, and was getting to the Point where He was  SO  Wound Up he would not listen to Me anymore.
      Oh yeah, Mom Trusted Me so as to Leave and Start Dinner, Leaving her Precious Boys with Me! I took that as a Pat on the Head. Nowadays if you wave at a little kid in a shopping cart in line at the Grocery, the Mother suddenly gets Between the Child and  YOU . Only being Safe, I understand. Its just too bad though, we live in a World like We do.
      Anyway, the 2 Boys Helped me gather up the Gear, and I walked them back home. Mom met us at the Back Door, Laughing and Glad the Boys "Didnt Shoot the "Coach"!! I heard Luke in the House,  "THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST DAY EVER!!!"  Mom looked at Me, and said, "You made their Day You know, because Luke doesnt say things like that very often."
     "Awwww Shucks Ma'am...T'werent Nothin'", making Circles in the Dirt with My Toe Time. haha I told Mom that Any Time I was Out Shooting, the Boys were Welcome Back!! She Truely Appreciated the Time I Took with Her Boys, and Thanked Me. "No Problem" I must do something about a Couple of Short Type Bows.
      I Think I have just gained a Couple of "New Archery Crazy Younguns" from the Neighborhood. It was Very Cool!!I saw a Couple of the Neighbors Out, Clapping with All of Us when the Boys Hit the Paper!! People I dont "Know", but live close. I do believe  WE  entertained just about the Whole Block!! Little Luke has Quite a Large Voice when he gets Excited!! hahaha It was "Hours Well Spent" to Me!!  :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Great Afternoon!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
Sounds like a great day for everyone.  Well done.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
That is awesome! It really is exciting to see the thrill in their eyes. I took my four year old daughter out 2 days ago to shoot the pine cones that had fallen from our trees. My uncle had found the little kids bow to let us borrow and she had a blast. It really is neat to see them for their first time. Hopefully there will be many more times for the both of us.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Bill that's really, really cool of you to take the time.  I teach a class of alternative ed students and I know that some of them would be in a better place if they had strong, CARING mentors.  Good on ya!

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Heartwarming. Those boys will remember you forever and always smile when they see a bow and arrow. Great job.
PS you will have a grin on your face for a while too!

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
Always knew you were a good egg, there Shakes. Keep it up.   :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
How cool is this?        Way!!!

Thank you Shakes for showing the world what a true bowhunter looks like up close and personal.

"You da man!"

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Well done,Shakes. You took the time and cared enough to light their fire. Nothing like intorducing new people to our world. Good on ya,man.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
You have captured the spirit of archery here!! Nice!!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
Great work Shakes!! I made a kids bow for my 5 yr. old nephew. He shot it last week for the first time and had a blast!!

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Good job !!!!!

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Well done!  Touching a young ones heart is what it's all about. Again, well done.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
bolong

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the Kind Words Everyone!! They Really Mean a  LOT  coming from You Fine Folks Here on  TRADGANG!!!  
  I have some Red Oak, and some Hickory "Tool Handles" I just may be Making a Couple of "Short People" Bows!! One Right and One Left Handed!!
  I thought I might " PRESENT"  Each of the Boys with a Short HomeMade "Silver Arrow"! With the Date and Name of the Boy on Each One for being "Brandly New Archers" and their Ages!! Of course, Gotta Check with Mom First and Foremost!!   :thumbsup:  
   So, now I have a SummerTime "Project" now!! I would Love to take them to the Indoor Range we have close by,  "The Lil' Arrow Shop".  Everyone There is More Than Willing to Let the Boys Shoot!!  AND  Offer to Share Their Knowledge and Assistance!!   :thumbsup:  
    Question Concerning Bows for Little People: About What Weight should I go for? I figure I can make them LongBows that are just shy of their Own Height.
     Yes, I am Still  Riding That Happy Wave  that they want so bad to Learn, and did Pretty Darn Well for their "First Time"!! I am  VERY Proud  Of Them, and Thankful Mom feels Safe & Secure in leaving her Boys with Me!!!    :biglaugh:      :archer2:  
       Again,  THANK YOU ALL  For the Encouragement and Approval!! It Means Much More to Me than You Will  EVER KNOW!!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Great job thanks for sharing.
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Bill, I think the going rate for baby sitting is $10 an hour. Times three for two hours is $60 total. Send that bill to the Mom and then go buy them some kiddy arrows. LOL.

Seriously though good for you brother.

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Good for you helping these boys get a taste of what we all enjoy, and is such a big part of our lives. Get ready to be blessed! Like you say, "What goes around, comes around".

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Now thats how you do that, It only  takes a spark to start a fire. Well done sir Very well done indeed.    :thumbsup:    :jumper:
Jeff Couture

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
100 years from now...
it will not matter...
the type of house I lived in...
the kind of car I drove...
how many bows I shot...
but the world may be different...
because I was IMPORTANT in the life of a child!

Well done, Shakes. Thanks for trying to make a difference.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Awesome!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers