3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Differences between R/D and D shape  (Read 173 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Differences between R/D and D shape
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I'm sure this question has been asked.  I couldn't find an answer though using the search option so I'll ask it again.  Putting the un-strung shape aside, is there any difference between a R/D longbow vs. a D shape longbow?  I've been going back and forth looking at different models and was wondering.  I've looked at Northern Mist (Baraga), Apex Predator(Cumberland) and a Howard Hill.  Is there a difference in hand shock?  The feel of the weight when pulled?  Thanks guys.  And I'm not trying to start any arguements please.  Just lookin' for personal opinions.  Thanks.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Differences between R/D and D shape
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I have not shot a lot of longbows, I had a
D long bow several years ago that had a lot of handshock, I now have a Martin D that has some handshock, I shot and ordered a Big Jim Thunderchild that I could not feel the arrow leave (R/D) I don't know if this is because of
D vs. R/D or not.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
A straight or "D" shaped bow will have more felt handshock than an R/D shaped bow will, in general.  I really haven't noticed much difference in the feel of the bow on the draw though.  R/D bows will also normally be faster than "D" shaped bows.  If you are not sensitive to shock, properly tune the bow and shoot a fairly heavy arrow, most "D" bows are very pleasant to shoot and I think they are the coolest looking bows.  In reality, all bows have shock or vibration, some bow designs just dampen it better than others.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I shoot a D bow but have ordered a R/D bow after 3-4 months of research and talking with a bunch of bowyers. From what I have gathered from their talks is the R/D bow bridges the gap between recurves and D bows, thare usually smoother so you can shoot a shorter bow(in my case I'm going from 66" to 62" and felt no pinch or harshness) you can get a different style grip( main reason for me due to injury)and a better amount of stored energy. These were main reasons given to me.  :archer:

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
As always, thanks for the info gentlemen.  

-Jeremy

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Check out Apex Predator's website...Marty has a great set of bows he offers.  "D", slight r/d and full R/D.

I just got my 66" Cumberland "D" yesterday and I love it!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I had a D shaped bow and a R/D from the same bowyer. The R/D shot smoother but I could shoot the D bow better. To each his own. I like the thump of a true D shaped bow. It feels alive. I just recieved a Northern Mist Classic and it is a fine shooting D bow.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
And here lies the dilema.  I've been lookin' at the Cumberland by Apex Predator as well as a used Northern Mist Baraga.  What to do...

-Jeremy

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Both?  LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
If you are comparing two bows that both maintain a "D" shape when strung but one has straight limbs and the other is an R/D you can make a couple generalizations. Normally, the R/D bows may be a little quicker, may be pulled farther without stacking for the same length bow, may have less handshock (subjective), might be a little noisier.

If you are comparing the "D" shaped bow vs. strung bow that shows the R/D shape (hybrid/longcurve/etc) the differences will be more pronounced.

In terms of shot feel much of that will be subjective. A well balanced "D" bow with limbs that are timed correctly will pull smooth, shoot quiet, and have minimal thump. A well made hybrid will be the same. The ones you've listed are all well made bows so pick the one that you think will fit your shooting/hunting style best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©