3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: short bow vs. longerbow  (Read 544 times)

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
short bow vs. longerbow
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I have been told that a longer recurve is easier to shoot and maybe more accurate ( for some shooters ) than a sorter length bow. Just curious if anyone has any has experienced an improvement in accuracy after switching to a longer bow?? Is there less stacking with a longer bow??

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: short bow vs. longerbow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I for one could never shoot a short bow well. Come to think about it I don’t shoot a longer bow very well either. I just like longer bows better.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
In most cases a longer bow means more working limb and at a given poundage it would be smoother/easier to draw. Longer bows have less finger pinch than short ones from the angle of the string. As far as stacking, depending on your draw length even long bows can stack if their design is not right. Short bows work well from ground blinds, tree stands, tent blinds and such. bows of longer length can be used in the same places but you have to watch your limb clearances. As far as accuracy.......it's mostly the shooter, not the bow!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Even when I shot com#@&nd, I liked a longer bow. I've had bows of different length, and in my opinion, longer has always been smoother to draw. If smoother to draw makes you more comfortable, you will probably be more accurate. This may be elementary to some, but I'm no brain surgeon!   :knothead:
Bret M. FullER

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I'm new so take this for what its worth. I shot short wheelie bows so uneducated I bought a 48" recurve.  Three years I shot that little thing thinking I was pretty good, then I found this site and started wondering what could be. Well I ordered a 62" td. longbow and my first 5 arrows (that weren't even tuned to the bow) shot at 15 yrds. all arrows were touching and I'm only getting better. The down side is gonna be getting used to hunting with the bow , but the way I'm shooting this thing, Boy things are gonna die this season!!  Go LONG!!!!!!!   :archer2:
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Longer is easier to shoot well. Shorter is easier for many hunting situations, especially in tight quarters. I shoot a lot of short bows and love them. They are not competition bows; nevertheless, I can shoot a short bow just fine for most situations. Life is a compromise, and so is a bow.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
The longer the better for me.My draw length is only 27".I prefer bows from 60" on up.More forgiving and less finger pinch.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Longer bows seem to be more forgiving.  I tend to have a cleaner release on longer bows.  Arrow tuning is easier and consistent.  Shorter bows are more difficult for me to tune an arrow through paper.  Probably has more to do with my release of the string.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I agree with a lot of the above, I'd say I found a compromise between short and long.  Meaning 48" - 72", I like 60" +/- 2".  Short enough to get into most hunting situations and long enough to work with my 29" - 30" draw depending on the grip of the bow.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
Lots of good info above but for me and my 28" draw combined with the type of hunting I do, a 58 or 60" fits the need. What you really have to consider too and it is just as important as length, is the grip. If your not getting exact hand placement every time, especially in hunting situations, your accuracy will suffer. This was so important to me, I took a file to the handle of the bow I shoot the best, and had for 8 yrs or so recently, to get it just right. I fit that baby to my hand so when I grab the bow to shoot my hand lays in there the same everytime. It made a big difference and my groups and my accuracy have improved considerably. ymmv

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
man you guys are hating the short bows!!
I shot a 60" recurve for about 4 years until a few weeks ago I was given a 52" recurve made by ben pearson. I love it and am shooting just as good, if not better than with my 60".
I think its mainly in the shooter.
I'd rather hold a recurve than shoot a compound

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I just ordered a 54" Lost Creek Longbow. Love short bows but they are not for everyone. My favorite hunting bow the past couple of years has been my 62" Mikuta recurve. Shoots and draws so smoothly. Shoot as many bows as you can and decide what works for you.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
I like longer bows.
62" recurve,68" longbow.
Very smooth drawing.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
Two good articles in Trad Bowhunter by Fred Asbell several issues ago spoke to the question quite well, I thought. The Case for the Short Bow and The Case for the Long Bow. At the end of each, you're thinking "I'm going to get a short/long bow!"
I asked this same question a bit ago here and the answers seemed the same. Long bow more accurate/easier to shoot, but the short bow guys are happy too. If possible have a one(or more) of each, depending on circumstance and use.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Thanks guys,,, I know I can always count on Tradgang when I have questions.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Another vote for longer bow here.   :)  I believe in using the longest bow that will fit in the place you need to go.Short bows have there place in enclosed blinds of course but I want a longer bow everywhere else. Never seen the need of using a short bow in a tree or on the ground.I had rather have the extra accuracy and performance of the longer bow in most cases.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Longer bow for me too since I've got a 30" draw length. If there is one thing I can't abide, it's finger pinch.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Myself, I can shoot a short bow as well as a longer bow when I'm shooting in the basement, my backyard or at the range. When I can take my time and really concentrate on form and release. In a hunting situation I opt for the longer bow which is much more forgiving when "perfect form" isn't always possible to get the shot off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Recently got my 56" tanjavur longbow, have always shot 60" recurves, don't feel any difference w/ shorter bow pulls smooth, shoots very accurate, could just be well designed bow just my two cents. Todd

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Well I shoot from 46" to 64" bows.  For snap shooting I really like the short ones.  Also like 'em for confined or real brushy spots.  The string angle just doesn't seem to bother me.

The longer bows are fine, but have limitations, for me, in confined areas. They may be a little more forgiving, but I believe if you do your part the short bow will do it's part.

My wife just went from a 68" bow, cause that's just what we got a good deal on first, to a 46" bow.  After waiting on a bow for her since Christmas that just couldn't get finished as promised by the "bowyer"   :banghead:  we were able to get a great little bow from our own Brad Jansen here. :archer:    She shoots this better than any other bow she's shot. That is after Big Jim turned us onto the right arrows for it.  Thanks Big Guy, and thanks a ton Brad.   :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©