3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My mentor  (Read 461 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
My mentor
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
I have been lucky I guess that I was born into a bowhunting family. I can't even remember "before having a bow". Dad always made sure we had a bow and and room to roam and shoot from the time we could walk.

But there was another person who I considered my mentor, Charlie "old timer" Martin. One of my Dads hunting buddies and close freinds who took me under his wing as a little guy and taught me tons of archery and woods lore. Whitetails, turkeys, and small game I owe alot of my success over the years to paying attention to what he had taught me.

Thats Charlie closest in the picture, and me to the left and my hunting buddy Tim  behind Charlie, this picture was taken on the way to elk camp quite a few years ago (1998).

Charlie was the type of guy that was always keeping me with trasures as a youngster. A couple times a year from the time I was 5 or 6 until I was a teenager he would bring me a five gallon bucket of his old arrows. These were like gold to me back then, I would spend hours cutting shafts down, refletching, and adding nocks and such making shootable arrows out of his damaged ones to keep me going! I had no clue about spine or arrow weight back then all I knew was that those things could shoot! Lots of small game, empty cans, and stumps were harrassed by those arrows, and I bet a guy with a metal detector could still find some now back behind my parents old house! Tree stands, old camo, I still have and use alot of the gear he has passed along to me over the years.

Charlie, Dad and me got to do a lot of deer hunting back in the day, When I shot my first deer it was his house I stopped at first on the way home! He was as proud as I was! Same thing with my first turkey and strangely enough charlie had killed a turkey within 50 yards from the spot I shot my first just the day before.

We spent time In Colorado chasing elk and mule deer and just enjoying being away from it all. I have no idea how many hunts we have shared in the last 30 plus years but it has been a bunch!

Here is Charlie on the right and Dad on the left being silly acting like they were scared of a drop off in the high country.

Thats me and charlie up high glassing for Elk on a long past hunt.

Well, I guess this post is as much for me today as it is to share how great a man he was, you see Charlie passed away a few hours ago after a long battle with cancer. I guess I just needed a place to vent and remember...........
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My mentor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Best Wishes sir, Thanks for sharing

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Damn good man. Thanks for sharing.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss...sounds like he will live on for years to come in the good memories you have..I bet he is hunting the best of all hunting grounds tonight with the ultimate guide!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss, but happy you had such a friend.  You will always have the memories to bring a smile to your face when you remember him and all the hunts.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
Thank you Dennis for sharin' about the good memories of Charlie!

May his legacy live on - through you - as you share with others!

God bless, David Camp
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Charlie Schweikert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
You do your mentor great honor.  Sounds like you were blessed to know each other.  Thanks for sharing.

Take care  -  Charlie Schweikert

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
A very fine and fitting tribute, Dennis!

I pray for God's comfort for you and his family.

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
I am so sorry to hear that Charlie past away! A long time ago I had a mentor too. He passed away much to soon. I am still gratefull for all the memories. They bring a smile on my face every now and then. Thanks for sharing.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
A good mentor and a good Man

sorry for your loss
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:00 AM »
I am sorry for your loss, he will be next to you on your hunts,thanks for sharing.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your memories, & I'm sorry to hear about the loss but know that he is waiting for that next Elk in GODs land now.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Obviously Charlie will live on in memories for a long time to come.  Very nice tribute to a fine man!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
As long as we remember no one is truly lost to us. Glad you have some fine memories.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Sounds like a great man. Sorry for the loss but, Keep the great memories you have of him.

Had a neighbor who was there for me growing up as my second father. Took me hunting and bow shooting. Passed away with cancer also.

We need to get that cancer taken care of so we are not losing the great guys to it.

Tim

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Sorry to hear!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Cancer is a terrible disease. Sorry for you losing such a valuable friend.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I offer my sincere condolences. Sounds like a wonderful person.

It is also a prime example of how the size of a man's heart leaves a legacy that far surpasses the size of his game.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Sorry for loss bud.Fine tribute to your friend.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Wow how fortunate you were to have such a awesome mentor, great memories.

Sorry for your loss.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©