3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spanish main  (Read 407 times)

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
Spanish main
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I returned from a trip visiting family on the Caribean Coast of South America and have a few pics I'd like to share.
The area I managed to hunt was about 4 hrs inland from Cartajena, one of the first old Spanish cities to be built along that coast. (Colombia)

The land was within a mile of the banks of the mighty Rio Magdelene that seperated the departments of Magdelena and Bolivar.

Lots and Lots of fish but too much sediment in the powerful turbulent waters for bowfishing.

My first visit was more of a scouting trip to get a feel for things.

14k of bone shaking down trails like this.

I arrived at the farm and did a circuit around one of the small senegas (lakes)

Lots of birdlife, including this Eagle............

and a whole array of others.......

Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spanish main
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
At first impessions the area looked green and lush but the reality was harsh bone dry earth.

Rainy season was still weeks away.

These spikes were Sharp!!......Hunted a different farm one day and some innocent looking bushes had me trussed up like I was caught on fish hooks!

Saw some sign, disturbed a couple of Vampire bats from an old log (so thats what caused the brown blood stain on the horses neck) and headed back to the farm for something to eat.

Carve off a slab of beef.........

and kick back with the rancher and his family..

Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Next time I was there I set up in the dark above another water hole and waited for what may turn up.

The noise of the birds and other animals at dawn was almost deafening, great to be in a new country sampling the wildlife.

I saw a few red squirels and a grey fox that came to 10 yards, shorter legged than ours with a wider muzzle, decided against shooting him as I was waiting for the elusive Benado (deer) to turn up, brocket family, standing about 3 feet high.

Saw some interesting spoor which I was later informed was 'orso migera', Giant ant eater, big powerful animals, one of the farm dogs was later to loose an eye and a get a hole through its ribcage about an inch in diameter from getting too close to one.

I moved closer to the water in the hope of spotting something coming for an afternoon drink in the heat of the day...

but was only visited by a mare and its foel.

some interesting birds.....

that had some incredible nests, constructed better than some of the housing here...
and lots of mosquitos!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
keep them coming Andrea,it is very promising.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Later on I still hunted, came across my first deer spoor, probably a day old ...

Then just had to find some shade...

Now I know what a slug feels like with salt on it!
Temps in the 40's everyday.

As evening approached I made my way to another trail intersection and came across this fellow..

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
and set up to wait for my quarry....

who did'nt materialise........although as dusk arrived I was I was joined by the rest of the new world monkey's troop
for an evening display.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I like your skins on the limbs; I saw them in a previous pic,but on the woods they look better.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
After a clammy night under a blanket in a hammock fighting off mosquitos and worrying about vampire bats I returned to the waterhole in a cacophony of sound to carry on my vigil. ( going to take a 'Hennesy hammock next time')

I was suprised to see the monkeys were still there and managed to get some better snaps....

They are know locally as 'Monocoton', I found out later they were howler monkeys

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
cacciatore, the skins work well, one of natures best camo's (though these are manmade)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Great pics and always interesting to hear and see other places.

Really like the Bear TD and those skins are sharp!

Question: was the hammer for the bird if it got too close to the food???
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
While still hunting I closed the distance on a lone adolescent male monkey,probably been booted out by the big boy.

He was very trusting of me and proceeded to show me how he scratched his back, sure he was showing off.

Some of the locals in the more rural villages eat the brains of these.
To me it just did'nt feel tight to do them harm as they were so fascinating to be around.

Wish I could have got close to the Giant anteaters that were around,
lucky to see them as they spend lots time just sleeping.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I settled down near water after clearing some tinder dry leaves and waited in the hope something would be forced to come to drink as the day reached its hottest,
the deer have been seen taking a drink between three thirty and six at this hole...

Birds and Iguanas running through the tree tops ...

spot the Iguana....shows up my camo!

Some of these are three feet long and have claws to match..

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
This was the closest I got to 'Benado' on this trip....

but we have a date, and will dance again.

The property holds lots of animals, Agouti, Watinaha (pacas), smaller non equatic and striped relative of Ponche or Capibara, as they are know in Brazil. The next farm less than 500m from this one holds a population of Capibara that are market hunted at night with lamps, using shotguns that look like they are made from conduit and 3x2. Making them very wary.
Would need to track and pattern these for a week I think, to get a chance at them with my bow, but will give it a try next time.
Various cats stalk the trees and grass lands along with Caimen in the rivers.

If it rained, Vehicle access was impossible and you had to use these...

Or just walk .......

and pass the time in the company of the people that live in this fascinating land.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
jcar315,  the parrot did like to pinch your rice but I think I'd have been strung up if I'd have flattened it,lol.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks for taking us along!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Looks like a fantastic holiday to say the least.

Did the monkeys do any "howling" while you were around?

Thanks again for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Your welcome,
I was tempted, part of me wanted to but a bigger part didn't, glad I just shot with the camera now.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Great pics great trip.I love South America away from the tourist trade.Kip

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing,I love this kinda stuff.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Cool, I'm in for the next time in case you need a translator.
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©