3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some help with Elk Hunting Clothes  (Read 351 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some help with Elk Hunting Clothes
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I'll be hunting Colorado the first week of archery season and I'm getting together a clothing list. I know that cotton is out. My biggest concern is that I won't have enough warm clothes in the event that the weather takes a really bad turn for the worst. Also, trying to keep cost as low as possible as I'll be buying for me and my son.

Here is what I have in mind:

Socks - Smartwool or Costco Wool

Boots - Mid-Height, Lightweight, waterproof hikers

Base Layer - Patagonia Capilene, lightweight top and bottom

Shirt and Pants - Microtex, non-insulated, water resistant

Other Shirts - Long sleeve, synthetic, camo t-shirts

Vest - Fleece Vest

Bacalava - Fleece

Sock Cap - Wool

RainGear - Lightweight, military poncho

Am I missing anything? Do you have any specific recommendations? (I'd like to buy everything from Cabelas). Can I substitute something cheaper for the items I've listed above? Do I need to add a jacket like, for example, the Cabelas Outfitters Wooltimate Wind Shear?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&id=0033630932572a&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Altavista&cm_pla=Cabelas%20Outfitters%20Wooltimate%20Win d%20Shear%20jacket&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help with Elk Hunting Clothes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
sgrogg,
 I'd say you are pretty close.  But, I would go with a a set of good, lightweight, quiet raingear.  I hunt the opener most every year, and I don't wear long underwear (even though I take a pair).  When it gets cold, I put on all my layers, and my rain gear.  For several years I got by with a poncho, but having a nice set of light raingear makes all the difference, and helps block the wind.

Good luck,
Bret

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Good to see socks and boots at the top of the list where they belong  :thumbsup:    If there is any piece of clothing to not scrimp on those would be it.

A good outer layer coat should be part of the plan.  Elk season in CO can at times mean cold and snow.  (And at other times hot and sweaty)  A good plan is to layer up to be covered for the extremes at both ends of the spectrum.  Wind shear is great stuff, but some of it is noisy, so choose carefully and don't buy anything that is not absolutely silent.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks bowbert.  Do you think I need the jacket for the first week?

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
A good KOM whool jacket is a must.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Microtex rules. Looks like you are good to go if you add a wool vest or heavy wool overshirt.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
You will be a lot more comfortable and considerably less smelly (nothing personal, but you are in the mountains) if you can find some merino underwear in good drab colors instead of the Patagucci.  Duofold, Minus 33, Cabelas, and steepandcheap.com for the premium wool brands (like smartwool, icebreaker, ibex, patagonia, etc.) may bring it into your price range.  Some people have itching problems with the cheaper brands, but they don't bother me.  Minus 33 in gray in a light or medium weight is a good, relatively inexpensive bet.  I bought as many gray merino zipneck Duofolds at $30 as I could find when they apparently discontinued them.  REI sales may be another bet.

You might consider a neck gaiter and hat instead of the balaclava; there's a little more flexibility there.

Great choice on the microtex, by the way, but be careful around campfires.  All my microtex looks like it was hit by a shotgun.

A very light windshirt worn under the outermost fleece layer can be a lifesaver; I have an OD one I got off a military website that I use constantly, but you can get gray or green off the outdoor websites.  If you do go for wool outerwear, keep it light!  Sleeping Indian had a half-reasonable over-run special on a light shirtjac awhile back; don't know if they are still available (just looked; the price is back up).  Day One camo has some good-looking wool and fleece in ASAT at excellent prices, but I don't know how light they are respectively.  For me, I would not buy wind-lined stuff; most of the time you are working too hard, and if you need it it's better to have it separate.

I wouldn't carry separate base layers and long-sleeved synthetic camo tee shirts, unless the latter is for really hot weather.

Finally, the guys in the photo above are smart to have brimmed hats.  A little shade on the face goes a long way toward camo, and a brim is great in snow and rain.  I think Day One has a crusher, but I haven't seen it.

I agree with a light rainsuit (ponchos are tough in high wind, but pretty valuable for an emergency shelter).  I often carry both, with the poncho being a light, expensive sil-nylon OD one by Integral Designs or GoLite.  You don't want to go cheap on your emergency stuff.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Depending on the elevation you are hunting, it will be quite warm the first week of the season.  It can even be warm at treeline and above.  I rarely wear my wool until late in the season.  Although I like wool, it is heavy and bulky.  I used cotton and polar fleece earlier in the season and carry some packable rain gear for the afternoon thunderstorms.  I'm just saying don't over do it on the wool--especially the first week of the season.

Mike

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Oh, one other thing.  I like a little wool for durability, comfort in rain, and because it's so dead in terms of light reflection, but it's always heavier and slower to dry than fleece.  You will have to carry it much of the time you're hunting.  Being in exceptional condition is likely as or more important to your comfort than sweating the details of your clothing too much.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Funny I usually wear cotton, because it's usually hot.  Didn't know it was out.  I do have wool in my backpack.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I wear smart wool socks all year long I have not used cotton sock other than to clean my guns with , google the sock depot great place to by socks
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
First week of the season, 80% of the time, I wear cotton.  That is if I am not backpack hunting and have a place to dry out and warm up if it gets wet.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Patagucci - that's pretty good. Although I do find their quality to be very good. I buy mine at a local thrift store at $4-5.00 per piece when it shows up. Feels like I'm stealing it.
I don't know anything about Elk hunting, but have spent the last 35 years working outside. I find cotton a poor base layer, but we all seem to have likes/dislikes that guide us. I always have a synthetic undershirt on and having a spare is no problem as they weigh nothing. Dry extra fast too. I like the light weight rain wear as outer wind/dirty conditions protection. Cabelas have the MTO50 that they claim to be the best anywhere. They say quiet too, but I have to try it to believe it. Our cover is pretty thick here in Nova Scotia, so you're always brushing up against something. Wide brim hat and best footwear/sox you can find. The big price will fade from memory when those pieces perform.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
As kadbow has already stated,the first week of elk season is usually hot during the day,but it can be chilly at early morning or night.If I am climbing the mountains,as you have to do in most Colorado's areas I wear cottons because i don't like to sweat to much and I replace my T's as much as I can.When I stop glassing or waiting I like to wear my KOM shirt so I don't get cold and still my skin can breaths.I like fleece but when you are climbing you sweat to much and in case of a thunderstorm or high winds it is not of enogh protection.When it is really cold at the end of the season I like to have many layers of whools and on the top I can have a fleeced parka.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks everybody.... a lot of good suggestions here!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
This is what I wear or carry with me in the pack. All put on I can handle almost anything. And there are a lot of possible combinations I can use for almost any temp or conditions.

1) Thin summer camo pants. Mine are a pair of Ol' Tom's that are supposed to be for turkey hunting but are great elk pants bow season. I got them on a sale rack for 25 bucks! I have a thin pair of long underwear to put on under them if its cold AM/Pm or a front moves through and it rains/snows.

2) I like the almost windproof vests. Mine is stretchy  and semi tight fitting but moves with you and is comfy. Nice really high collar if you want it up and it stops almost all the wind. ALmost as good as a windbreaker. Mine is Powerstretch by Lowe Alpine.

3) Capaline zip neck undershirt. I like having my neck covered a lot of the time.
4) Technical t-shirt for the hot days.
5) One wool jack-shirt- thin.

I do carry one gore-tex pull-over for the worst. I am willling to carry the weight because I hate being caught in a wet snow 3 hrs from camp in the dark. A dry core=a happy me.
Anyway, with this kit I can handle anything from the 70's down into the 30's and wet.

Oh, and a very thin pair of light gloves. A real thankful thing to have sometimes and they weigh nothing to carry.

Later in the season I add a down vest by LL Bean that is "the little toater that could", but weighs onces. It is one of those "packable" types.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Oldruffedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I would get the 1,2 &3 thickness layering system in Capilene they are great for layering and also depending on temp you can switch out plus they pack very well. Also First Lite Wool has some great underwear and tops too. I've used both and I really like both. I believe footwear both boots and socks can make or break a hunt. Don't skimp and make sure your boots are broke in good too. You've got a good list started. Brian

Offline sndmn11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Don't forget about considering some good quality sock liners, I think they are very important.
I personally wear wool pants, and first lite's lightest shirt.  On top of that goes my microtex shirt.  I like the wool pants becasue I can sit down and not worry about if the ground is wet.  When I wore microtex pants my rear-end always seemed to get wet from sitting down.  
You might also consider raing gear that is designed more for hunting than a poncho.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
While some guys will say never wear cotton, I've used it everytime I've been elk hunting. When its hot, and you're doing a lot of walking, I wear cotton pants,long sleeve T and carry my windstopper lined fleece vest in my daypack, along with a spare T and spare sox(I never use cotton socks). If the weather is cool and/or breezy, I carry a fleece pullover to throw on as needed.

Cooler days I wear poly-prop long johns in a med weight, and if needed I have my favorite hunting pants, wool military surplus pants, a wool sweater, and can layer as needed with the other stuff.  i have taken a insulated jacket every trip, and have never used it.

Keep in mind if you are moving and climbing, you'll keep warm. If clothes get wet, they dry out fast in the dry mountain air. I keep 2 or 3 sets of clothes in camp.

If its wet and rainy, leave your cotton clothes in camp. Wear wool if its not too hot out. I carry a light weight set of cabelas rain gear that stuffs into a pouch the size of a beer can. Weighs nothing. I rarely need it, but if I see a storm coming in, I throw it on while it rains.

One thing I am for sure going to add is a set of leg gaitors. They will keep your pants from getting wet below the knees walking is wet grass etc.

Buy the best socks you can get. Same for boots. Always change your socks at mid day, your feet will love you for it. Happy feet=happy hunter.

I have never had a problem with that system, although I am inthe process of upgrading a lot of my clothes, and wool and fleece will play a big part of it. Layering is key.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I've never hunted in Colorado, but here in Oregon during late August and early September it's usually hot and dry.

About all I wear that time of year is cotton pants and long sleeve T-shirts. I have a sweater I wear in the mornings and evenings, and it usually ends up in my pack during the day. I have King of the Mountain wool and fleece, but it rarely comes out until November when I hunt Blacktails.

One thing I don't go without is sock liners, I prefer the silk ones I got from Cabela's. I used to get blisters from sweaty feet, even in well worn boots.

In late summer I prefer a ball cap or camo "dew-rag" on my head. The wide brimmed style hats play havoc with my hearing, and my ears are very important when elk hunting.

Usually have 2 pair of gloves (light and wool) in my pack, but seldom wear them unless it's real frosty or windy.

I usually hunt out of a camp next to a road, or from my house. So if the weather gets too wet I retreat for the day and wait for more favorable conditions.

Good luck and have fun!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©