3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some help with Elk Hunting Clothes  (Read 352 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help with Elk Hunting Clothes
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Why is cotton out ?  In Colorado, first week of the season, you are more likely to see 90 degrees (daytime) than you are snow.

I wear one pair silk socks and one pair wool socks with boots of my choice.  Never had a blister with that arrangement.

I wear a pair of cotton camo cargo style pants, a cotton camo long sleeve T shirt, and a cotton hat.  I have a pair of light gloves, more for cover up than warmth.  I wear a pack and carry a duofold long underwear top and a wool vest or maybe pull over wool shirt).  Walking in the morning will get you hot and sweaty if you wear your stuff in.  Save it for when you stop to start glassing.

I also have some sort of plastic sheet for a poncho.  I went thru all the rain gear and none are wonderful for all uses.

Be able to carry lots of water (and drink it) or to make water up in the hills. Dehydration gets you sick.   Carry a compass and a small flash light. .  check out Barry's..  it is awesome.

Enjoy yourself.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
You also might want to check on some of the lightweight nylon clothing that is on the market.  I still hunt in Microtex a lot of the time but after trying some quick drying nylon I can see where it has its advantages in early season in the high country.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
I 2nd everything Mr Whip said in post # 3!!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Ditto on the warm weather in September. I've rarely worn anything other than cotton camo pants and long sleeve poly camo shirt, with camo fleece vest in the mornings. I wear thin, stretchy camo gloves, just for the concealment of the hands. One year though it rained for 9 days straight. Full rain gear all day.

My primary input is the importance of a good, higher (not ankle high), well broken in pair of Gore Tex equipped boots with good tread.

I wear a camo waterproof boonie hat, but headgear preference is very personal.
BW PCH III

His servant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©