3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple hard earned Goats  (Read 360 times)

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple hard earned Goats
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Thought I would share with you guys a local hunt me and my hunting mate Luke had a couple of months ago. It took 5 outings total to get the end result. It was Luke's first larger game taken with his Tolke Whip and the blooding in of my new Jim Jones Firefly Longbow.    

As the pain shot through my fingers from the stinging nettle I had just placed them on, I thought to myself, what the hell are we doing out here in the 35 degree heat crawling along a river bank getting stung, pricked, scraped and scratched. The answer was simple, doing what we love most, hunting with stick and string. It all started about 2.5 hours ago as my mate Luke and I made our way along the cliff top glassing for our quarry. They were here somewhere we just needed to find them. No we weren’t hunting monster Red stags in the Brisbane valley or big Sambar stags in the Vic High Country, nor were we hunting massive tusked boars in the top end or big horned billies on the western plains. What we were doing was hunting a small mob of nanny goats I had discovered the week prior, in my rabbit spot. There were no great coats or horns just the promise of a freezer full of great tasting game meat and another trad bow adventure.      

Three other outings over the next three weeks with the same results as above saw us busted at varying ranges. Fast forward another week to the 5th week and we are around 100m from our quarry once again.

I had only gone about 100 metres when I rounded a small boxthorn bush and saw the tan cloured nanny on the cliff top standing guard. Luckily she hadn’t spotted me as I ducked back behind the boxthorn. Not knowing exactly where Luke was I decided to stay put and just see what they did. Soon I could see they were getting nervous and figured Luke must be close when suddenly they bolted my way. I ducked under the cliff face as they stopped directly above me not more than 10 metres away but I couldn’t get a shot as I still didn’t know where Luke was. With the afternoon thermals carrying my scent up they soon winded me and bolted back the way they had come. The goats stopped about 100 metres along the gully face and the standoff began. They were intent on looking back in my direction which must have allowed Luke to close in again as suddenly an arrow streaked down from the cliff top taking the white nanny perfectly through the shoulder on a steep downhill angle. At the hit all three bolted my way again and I was very nearly bowled clean off the cliff face as the hit nanny unexpectantly came low around my box thorn at full tilt. I whipped off a shot which needless to say got nowhere near her and I still can’t figure out if it was in self preservation or actually trying to hit her.

The hit nanny went about 100 metres before I saw her go down at the bottom of the cliffs. I waved to Luke to come over so I could give him a big slap on the back for an outstanding shot. Watching Luke’s goat expire we saw the black billy turn up and stand over his fallen mate. I said to Luke if he stays put I might actually get a shot on him but wasn’t to fussed. I casually made my way along the cliff top until I was directly above him at about 40 metres. Being too far for me I decided to drop down a level which would put me at about 30 metres with a steep downhill shot quartering away. A loose rock saw me end up on my backside and nearly join my billy below but with Luke laughter ringing in my ears I regained my composure and steadied for the shot. Coming to anchor I picked a spot high up on the billies should and released. The arrow flew true hitting high up and penetrating out the middle of the brisket. The billy bolted back up the cliff and laid down about 50 metres off. Confident in the shot I told Luke to go down and we would get the photos done and the meat taken off his while I waited for mine to expire. With the sun going down I decided to head up to mine and start the butchering process. As I approached he got up and somewhat wobbly, walked off around the cliff face only to stop 30 metres away broadside. With the months of practice I had been doing at home at this range I was very confident in putting a good shot in to finish the job. Bringing the Firefly to anchor I picked a spot mid way up the chest and sent a perfect shot clean through his chest. He went about 5 metres and was down for good. On inspection it seemed like my first shot had only taken out one lung due to the steep downhill nature of the shot hence why he got up when I thought he had expired. A quick photo session and the legs whipped off we packed up and started walk out reliving our shots over and over again. Although there were no huge 40 inch horns Luke and I both agreed that both goats would rival any we had taken in the past in the trophy stakes simply due to the whole process in getting to that moment. Something I would gladly do again in a heartbeat.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline johnis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple hard earned Goats
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
you had a good day outdoors,you hunt with your bows and took your game.No huge 40 inch horns
 needed,just pure fan
  Well done mates!!  :thumbsup:

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Great story and photos nice goats.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
great stuff mate
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing your hunt with us! It was a nice journey.

Congratulations on your goats.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
That was fun and exciting just reading it!!!

Congrats to both of you!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Neat!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Great Stuff!!!  Congrats to both of you!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
bolong

Offline Fishycatfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Sounds like a blast

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Enjoyed that story. Congratulations   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Great story!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
Thanks guys. They are all trophies to me as they all tell a different story.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Very well-done! Many happy returns of the day to you.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Dang that looks like fun. How do they taste? LCH

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Good story!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Thats Awsome you guys are hunting and I'm sitting here reading(closed season)You done good mates congradulations  :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Well done and thanks for sharing your story,..and oh yea nice shooting by both of you!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©