3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stu Miller spine calculater  (Read 248 times)

Offline otter64

• Trad Bowhunter
Stu Miller spine calculater
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Are you guys having good luck with this tool?The info Iam getting from the calculater doesn't work for me.The bow and arrow combo that works for me is #10 different.Anyone else have same results?
Thanks

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stu Miller spine calculater
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
The calculator is just a starting point to get you in the ballpark.And some bows can shoot a little heavier or lighter arrow. No 2 bows are exact so this helps to get you close.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Stu's program has always worked for me. It gives me a variety of tunable arrows and then I tweak the arrow by lowering or raising the brace height of the bow plus the use of 5 grain brass weight washers added behind the field point.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
I got lucky and started out with a arrow setup that was flying great. Checked it with the calculator and was n one point of perfection.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
My arrows with the calculator are 8 to 12# low figured it was in my style release. I bare shaft tune then put in my dimensions. I like to use it from there to compare other shaft options using my results. If arrows fly great without fletching, should not have any problem with them.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I have tuned multiple combinations using Stu's calculator and had only one new bow with a large discrepancy like you mention. I was wrong. After shooting the bow a couple of weeks and giving into the way the bow wanted to be shot and a bit of tweaking found the calculator's suggestion flew better then my choice.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
I used it and it nailed the right arrow setup for my spot on.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Most of the time it's the data put in for the bow that messes up the stats.

The center shot factor is the key number.  Also some bows perform better then others.  I've found with our Orion Longbow that if you use the stats for the performance recurve you hit the arrow on the button.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I love it. Works awesome for me. Gives me an arrow that's just a touch stiff so I can either go up in point weight a little, or add and inch to arrow length.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Wingnut is right! You gotta know your center shot factor and number of strands of your string. Stu's Calculator works for me... Even when I'm thick headed enough to not believe it.   :rolleyes:   It set me straight.

I'm one of those guys that owns too many bows and wants one arrow to shoot well from all of 'em. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Even though (they) are all within three pounds of each other. Just did a point weight change and Bingo! Nice heavy arrow for hunting that shoots well, and is quiet to boot.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Rackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Stu's chart has been bang on for me as well. As long as you match dynamic spine of arrow to bow, arrows fly awesome.  I wish I had this chart years ago, it would have saved me messing around with alot of different arrows.
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Stu's calculator alway worked great for me. Be sure about the right value of the center-shot option, your drawweight, strands and type of bow. Some longbows may fall under high performance recurves...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Stu's calculator is awesome!!!  It has not let me down yet.  Your center shot and string must be correct for it to work properly.
54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Offline otter64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.I'll try tweeking my bow set-up.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Like they say.....garbage in = garbage out!

When you take the "human element" out of the picture (in other words....put in ACCURATE information), this excel spreadsheet should get you VERY close.  Like others have said....make sure you are plugging in accurate information, like center shot, etc.  If in doubt, measure.

It's been an absolute eye-opener for me.  Not to mention a time-saver.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©