3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got a weight problem  (Read 345 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got a weight problem
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
Great info in this thread. Many of us have run into this problem more than once.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I think I'm lost or not understanding the problem. I thought he was trying to get a glued insert out and not wanting to use heat. Are you saying a drill bit stuck in through the nock end punched out a glued insert with no heat?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
KentuckyTJ

The nock is to removed. The blunt end of a drill bit is to be inserted first into the shaft. The drill bit should be just small to slide freely within the shaft but large enough to maximize mass(could use longer bit). Then you hold the arrow above your head and quickly swing or whip the arrow towards the ground. The cetrifical force of the bit is sufficent enough to remove the insert. May take several attemps. Need some sort of cushion device(such as a blanket) to catch the drill bit when it pushes out the insert and exits the arrow.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
A friend takes the nock out and rams his rifle cleaning rod through the shaft to pop the insert out.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
you can still cut them out we do it at work all the time.  most people dont glue the very back of the insert so you can carefully cut around the arrow without cutting insert then id bet you could pull it right out and have your arrow at the length you want

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I've removed inserts from dozens of carbons and never damaged one yet. I screw in a field point to apply heat to, but don't tighten it all the way flush. I leave a gap. That way it will transfer the heat slower, reducing the chance of overheating the shaft. I use a small vise-grip  to hold the insert. Pull directly away from the shaft, do not twist!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
KentuckyTJ-

Yup, you've got it right.  A few of the inserts took a couple swings (you could see it start coming out, though), but eventually just popped right out-no heat or anything.  The friend helping me said he'd also heard of putting the end of the arrow into really hot water to possible loosen the glue up a bit, but we didn't even do that.  I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to do.  No damage at all and it took just a few minutes to do all 12.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©