3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easiest to sharpen?  (Read 397 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Easiest to sharpen?
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Geting ready to buy my first broadheads and I'm one of those "sharpening challenged" folks out there.  I like getting knives, etc. good and sharp, but don't necessarily enjoy it and frankly, I'm not that great at it.  I've read a lot of the broadhead threads trying to decide what to get and I know there are a lot of opinions on which are better than others.  I've also read that some note that a particular model or brand was more difficult to get sharp.  One thing that seems universal though, is a VERY SHARP b.h. put in the right spot is the best.

Question is, which b.h. is the easiest to sharpen?  For some reason, I would think a 2 blade single bevel might be included?  Only one side to try and get the right angle?  I watched a video on this site with someone using a file to sharpen a 3 blade (I think) where the file rested on two blades at once, making it seem like a cinch to get it right.  Would that be the way to go?

Thanks

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easiest to sharpen?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
For 2 blade get a KME then they are all easy.  Three blade file then stone.  H

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ground Hunter:
For 2 blade get a KME then they are all easy.  Three blade file then stone.  H
I'd only add a few things to this....
Some of the less expensive heads like the grizzlies and tuskers come out of the box REALLY dull. Great heads just need more work in the beginning.

Also, the heads with straight edges are easier than the curved ones whether you use the KME or not.

I personally don't regard a single bevel or double bevel as easier to sharpen.
You basically do the same thing...get a burr..take it off.

Single bev: 98% of work on 1 side 2% the other.

Double bev: 50%/50% each side

Just make sure if you go with single bev heads you use left bevel for left feathers or vica versa

Good luck buddy
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Buy a pack of Woodsmans or Snuffers for your 3-blade needs. A DMT diamond stone to sharpen them (a file works well, but I've found the DMT to be easier)
For your 2 or 4 blade needs, go with the Magnus 1 & buy a wheelie/carbide sharpener & a crock stick.
 Out of the packet, I guarentee you'll be able to have hunting sharp heads in under 5 minutes each.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
I wouldn't bother sharpening too much, get some STOS in 145 or 160 grain they come extremely sharp from the factory, and only need a diamond hone passed over them a couple of times for a finishing touch.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
As Rob said magnus heads sharpen easily! Easy to touch up in the field also. Grizzlies are hard to get sharp but once they are they're easy to keep that way.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
IMHO snuffers/woodsman/VPA terminator heads are easiest to sharpen.  Just push a file accross two blades at a time...viola. Can't roll the edge or change the angle.  Just use light pressure with a grobet 6" file.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Get the steel master sharpening kit from Simmon's archery. It will sharpen all 2 blade double bevel broadheads and isn't that hard to use. PM me if you want more info. LCH

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I highly recommend getting a KME Broadhead sharpener and some Magnus two-blade heads. Then watch their video on their website and you will have razor sharp heads in minutes. The KME is the greatest thing I've ever used for this task, period. I had six dull Magnus heads and I had them shaving sharp in about 30 minutes. And this was my first time using it! I'm sure I could have done it faster if I'd had more experience with it, but what's the rush!?

Do yourself a favor. Buy a KME.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by gudspelr:
 I'm one of those "sharpening challenged" folks out there.  I like getting knives, etc. good and sharp, but don't necessarily enjoy it and frankly, I'm not that great at it.
Right there with you, Brother. My experience - if you just aren't good at sharpening, nothing will be EASY to do. I recently bought a paper wheel sharpening system and can get hair splitting sharp in a very short time. I haven't spent a LOT of time with the thing yet but looks like that'll be my method.

Using this method poses the question - What if I need a touchup in the field? Well, I hope I have extra broadheads to use instead of the dull one. I guess I'm just out of luck. Carry an AccuSharp for double bevels or the single bevel sharpener for singles.
Romans 8:28

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I wouldn't bother sharpening too much, get some STOS in 145 or 160 grain they come extremely sharp from the factory, and only need a diamond hone passed over them a couple of times for a finishing touch.
I agree and if they do get dull they are vey easy to get hair poppin sharp.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
My two cents. Buy a KME sharpener then buy any broadhead it will work on. Which is a two blade head are a four blade head with removable blades.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I'd say to figure out which broadhead works best you and flies best with your arrows and set up and learn to sharpen them. Once you learn how any broadhead will sharpen well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I love being able to cheat a little and go off of more experienced guys' info  :) .  The woodsman, vpa's, and snuffer all look pretty great as far as ease-plus I wouldn't have to worry about left/right wing fletching as for the single bevel...  Snuffer's seem relatively cheap all things considered...

Guess I just have to make a decision-thanks again.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Anybody can sharpen a 3 blader! Get yourself a 6" file and do even amount of strokes from back to front doin 2 edges at a time goin from medium to lighter pressure toward the end! That will set the edge angle and will leave an edge that can be hunted with! You could go a step farther and use a jewelstick or a diamond hone if you want to, or even strop if you want a razor edge!

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
for any two blade heads or knives this is by far the best setup!

http://grizzly.com/products/8-Razor-Sharp-System/G5937

careful if you try it you might regret ever bothering with anything else
-just add effort.

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
for 3 blade heads i like the big 16" file laid flat on a solid surface, it's almost 2" wide so you can do 2 edges a once. finish with a ceramic rod a very light strokes. you can't hardly do it wrong!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm fortunate to be able to sharpen things rather easily.  The easiest I've done lately is the VPA Terminator.  A few light strokes with a smooth cut file and they were READY!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I agree with some of the others that have already posted...Woodsman (6 inch file with or without a  stone)if you want a 3 blade, Magnus I or II with an Accusharp for either 2-blade or 4-blade models.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
I have to aggree with getting a KME sharpener, they work great and are virtually fool proof.

As far as BH choice, hard to go wrong with the Magnus line, personally I like the Stingers, straight, strong and generally ready to hunt out of the package.  Plus, all the Magnus heads have a lifetime warranty, bust one and send it back, they mail you a new one.  

The STOS are made by Magnus and are good, strong BH's as well, though I have to disagree about them coming sharp from the factory.  I just opened a package purchased last year and they were dismally ground at the factory, all 6 needed some serious elbow grease to get an edge on them.  The tips were dismal as well and needed to be reshaped into a cut on contact tanto style.  Don't take this as a slam against STOS, I love the design and will be using them a bunch this year.  All broadheads should be checked for sharpness when new, even the supposedly pre-sharpened ones.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©