3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how heavy is too heavy gpp.  (Read 325 times)

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
how heavy is too heavy gpp.
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
well this was inspired to me by my other thread . as to gpp. how much do you shoot i like 9-10gpp . at what point does weight have a negitive effect on ke.does ke. really and acurately define penatration?  :campfire:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how heavy is too heavy gpp.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
im sure someone has the link to enter your data and see what our ke, is and what we can adjust to get the max . if it really matters.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
click here for some techy stuff  

See if this helps.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
When they achieve the glide angle of a brick, they're too heavy.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
When you get tired of shooting under everything.

Eric

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Anything over 10 gpp gives me a trajectory that is unacceptable for me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Another personal preference thing.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
GPP is a compromise.  I'm pretty comfy in the 10-11 gr/lb range,and have been there for several years.  Over 12 is too much for me.  Just because it works for me, tho, doesn't mean it will be right of you.  My suggestion would be to find the spine perfect arrow flight and experiment out from there with different weight arrows and FOC's.  You don't have to do this all at one time.  Take some time and spread it out and enjoy the journey.  You'll learn a lot in the process.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Iam new to trad archery and am shooting a 47 pound bow at 25inch draw my arrows range from 475 grains to 630 grains and all fly straight the heavier ones drop a lil sooner. so i guess its just a personal choice but wouldnt go under the 10gpp rule!!
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Personal chouice.  For clarification on the KE question.  KE means absolutely nothing to penetration.  KE is a measurement of the energy stored in the arrow during flight.  It tells you nothing about how that energy is released into the target.  KE is a number used to sell compound bows.  A well tuned high foc arrow with a razor sharp broadhead at low KE will outpenetrate a similar much lighter, and much higher KE arrow.  Impulse Momentum is what gives you an accurate measure of penetration of an arrow.  Read thru the appropriate Ashby reports for a clear understanding of impulse momentum.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
There are are many factors which impact penetratrion. GPP is merely one of the main factors and is not on the top of the list per DR Ashby. The following is some exerts taken from one of Dr Ashby's studies.

ARROW LETHATLITY DEPENDS PRIMARILY ON PENETRATION                                      

PENETRATION ENHANCING FACTORS IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE(per Dr Ashby)

1.Structural  Integrity- from BH tip and edge strength to nock
                                                  - tiny tip bend results in an average penetration loss of 14%

2. Arrow Flight- the ‘ENABLER’ permits other factors to work at full efficiency
-- Poor arrow flight squanders arrow force
-- Even with every other factor in place, w/o good arrow flight you’ll still have poor arrow performance
-   
3. Extreme FOC ( >19%)   - 1st notable gains are manifested at levels >19%
- Normal FOC - < 12%
- High FOC - >12 % to 19%
- EFOC contributes to a 40% to a 60% increase in penetration having most of the enhancing features
-   
4. Mechanical Advantage - BH MA ranks this high because it has a more pronounced influence on the outcome penetration of a perfectly flying and structurally sound arrow

5. Shaft Dia & ferrule Dia  - 10% penetration gain when shaft dia is 5% smaller than the BH ferrule dia
                                                        - Aver penetration decrease of 30% when shaft dia > BH ferrule dia
                                                        - 40% difference in tissue penetration when comparing a favorable ratio to one w/unfavorable ratio

6. Arrow Mass - Greater mass increases bow efficiency, absorbing more of the bow’s energy when fired.  That means more arrow force.
                                                        - Arrow’s tissue penetration is directly proportional to its momentum

7.    Edge Finish - A smooth, beard shaving sharp honed & stropped edge works best
                                                        - 26% advantage over smoothly filed sharp edge
                                                        - 60% advantage over serrated edges

8. Shaft Profile - Tapered shafts show 8% penetration advantage over parallel shafts and 15% over barrel-tapered shafts
                                                       -  Parallel shafts show 7% advantage over barrel-tapered shafts

9.BH/Arrow Silhouette - Rough & irregular surfaces increase arrow drag in all tissues and is more pronounced during bone penetration

10. Type of Edge Bevel - Single bevel – No down-side to using single bevel BH on any type hit

11. Tip Design - Tips design greatest importance on shots impacting bone. Tonto Tip demonstrates 27.5% better over  2nd best performer(round).

12. Arrow mass(wt) above the heavy bone threshold -  this factor jumps to very near the head of all factors, excepting only structural integrity & perhaps fight arrow quality
                                                                                               -  Bone impacts of one type or another occur on most hits, and bad hits can occur at any time
                                                                                               -  the threshold is at, or very near 650 grains

13.  Arrow force derived from the bow  - substantial gain in arrow force from your bow requires either obtaining a more efficient bow or increasing draw wt            
                                                    - penetration gains obtainable by increasing draw wt pales in comparison to that achieved through better arrow design
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Thank you, I've read that before but sometimes a short quip is better than a long drawn out sermon.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
very nice: friend , i like your answer its very involved and seems to be reserched well i asume its from Ashby? some time ago i read his reserch on foc. lol i printed it out and its actually in front of me now though i havent read it in yrs.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
when i was doing water buffalo arrow development testing with my 69# recurve, i found that i had diminishing momentum figures once i reached 1000gr of arrow mass. after that that point, more arrow mass resulted in the momentum figures going back down. that's 14.5gr/#
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I prefer 10-12, and see diminishing performance at 15 and up.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Yep...as some have stated...heavier isn't always better.  There is a diminishing return...and also a point of negative return in either too light or too heavy.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
When you let go the string and feel a sharp pain in the top of your foot,you probably got carried away with your arrow weight.   :D  

I am only concerned with arrow weight as far as what I feel I need for the animals I hunt.Something in the 400 to 500 range works well no matter what weight bow I shoot them from. If I shot an 80lb bow as long as it was quiet enough I would still shoot no more than 500gns for what I hunt.Any more is just a waste of good trajectory since I am already shooting through everything.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Cyclone2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Glad to see the smart A$$ remarks removed by the parrot with no real experience.  An occurrence that is way too frequent these days on chat forums.

Most time 9-11 grains per pound will get the job done all day long, and in some cases you might want to go to 12.  Once you get over 12, you might want to revisit the numbers on momentum to see if you are loosing ground.  Don't worry about KE.  Momentum is were it's at.

Also, if do move from 9 or 10 to 11 or 12, you WILL need to practice burning that new trajectory into your brain or you will shoot under your quarry.

Best of luck to you, and just remember to use common sense.

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
i prefer to shoot around 11 (gpp to insure penetration.  trajectory seems to take a big turn over 12 gpp for me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©