3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF Metal riser question  (Read 367 times)

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF Metal riser question
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I am looking to get a metal ILF riser.  I want to try using a plunger and rest, just to see how I like it.  I may just end up shooting it off of the shelf. My concern is that I do not like the squared off risers where you feel the edges of the squared off portion in the opposite side of the grip.  I have a Tradtech Black Onyx that I purchased and did some re-shapng and got it the way I like it by adding some epoxy putty and sanding it to make it more round.  What metal risers are out there that feel the best in terms of not having the real squared of front edges opposite the grip?
Thanks,
Mark

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF Metal riser question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
That problem is solved by most of the newer ILF risers (Belcher, Morrison, Dalaa, etc) via use of changeable grips. The Jaeger Poly grips are very comfortable.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I agree with Vermonster, with all the grip options it shouldn't be to hard to find one.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Mark,

What David said.  I haven't gotten to try a Belcher, but I own the Morrison and DAS and they are both excellent choices. If you like to tinker... the DAS allows a whole lot of adjustments.

Let me know if you want to borrow one of mine to try out?  

Barry
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Mark,

I'm not familiar with the Black Onyx, but of the metal risers I've owned or shot, the Titan has the most comfortable contours to me.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
We should be getting our 17" Metal ILF this week.
Making 3 ILF metal 13",15" and 17"

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Bob, will you be posting pictures of all three risers ??
                  PB

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
i have Bob's 13" metal no compliant

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
I'll post some pics of the 17" for you next week Pat. Bob is being kind enough to let me play with one for a little while after they get back from anodizing. Going to see how the Wave ILF limbs work on the riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
That sounds super, thanks a bunch...

I still have a couple of sets of WinEx limbs that are begging for a riser !!

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by azhunter:
My concern is that I do not like the squared off risers where you feel the edges of the squared off portion in the opposite side of the grip.
In my experience, the interchangable grips won't have any effect on the area that you are referring to.  Regardless of which grip you install, the squared off edges are still going to be felt.

You don't say whether you wanted to stay with a 17" riser but if so, in my opinion say the SKY and the Morrison are pretty squared off.  Unless things have changed, the edges of the Titan riser are probably the most "rounded."  The 17" Dalaa is different altogether as it has the finger grooves machined into the riser.  If your fingers don't happen to match up, it can feel quite awkward.  The 21" Dalaa doesn't have the finger grooves.  If you are OK a 21" riser, the Hoyt Excel is probably the most rounded of them all, partly because of the way the grip is set into the riser.  This makes for a nice transition. but also limits what grip choices you have.  The Excel also is less adjustable than any of the others.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I had 3/16" reduced from the front of the grip making the grip flow in the metal smoother, It feels much better than before.I don't feel the corners very much if at all.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
I had 3/16" reduced from the front of the grip making the grip flow in the metal smoother, It feels much better than before.I don't feel the corners very much if at all.
Sounds good, especially for those that prefer a smaller grip (throat).  That's one thing that I like about the Hoyt Excel.

Back to belly, I'd say the Excel is the narrowest, the Sky, Morrison, and Titan seem to be about the same and the Dalaa seems to be quite a bit thicker.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I made a change to the holes for a sight or quiver busings, So it will be early next week. This a change is one that Blacky recommended, and I agree is right. I will have pictures of all 3 sizes I will have, I'm not into the target shooting but into the hunting so 13" to 17" is all I'll offer in metal. And if bullet proof is what you have to have metal is it... I'm still a wood man backup is metal....

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Bob, I'm glad to hear you are taking your time and getting them just right before shipping them. I am exciting about getting my 17" riser!!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Allen,

please let me know your thoughts? I bet you'll love your Morrison riser!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
Will do Barry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©