3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got in trouble while shooting!!  (Read 1720 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Got in trouble while shooting!!
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I have been shooting where I rent for 2.5 years and have never had a problem. Tonight I was out shooting my recurve and the village cop stops me and tells me I have to quit and that I can not shoot anymore due to village rules. What I don't get is in the 2.5 years, I have waved to many cops as they drove by and I was holding onto my bow. So now I have to drive 6 miles if I want to shoot my bow. Man this sucks a small village in northern Wisconsin and you can't shoot a bow. What would you do?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Got in trouble while shooting!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Check the village regs first.  Get any new neighbors lately?  Someone probably saw you shooting and complained.  Or, perhaps the cop just felt like exerting some authority.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Do you have a basement?  I've been shooting in the basement of an apartment complex that is in the middle of a busy northeast town for the last 3 years.  I would guess that I am breaking all kinds of rules, but better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
1st thing I would do is go to city hall. It might not change anything but I'd suggest you explain yourself, your history, and your safety record there.

Good luck!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
I would request a copy of the town/village ordinance stating you cannot fire your bow.  As a small town cop, I can tell you that at least in the south, most town ordinances specifically state that you cannot fire a gun/firearm withing the town/city/village limits.  Then go speak with the Chief of Police on the matter.

Sorry, had to edit...left out a few words! LOL
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I would request to see the city/village ordinances. If they are telling you that you cannot shoot a short range weapon, PS: if you do make sure what it specifies WEAPON or FIREARM. Abow is not a firearm. just my 2cents

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Tell Barney Fife to suck it.He is probably new and trying to show authority.
Possum the other white meat

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Not unusual, most communities do not allow firing a projectile with in city limits. Not to say it does not happen! In most cases the cops just tell you this is against the law or the ordinance and as yourself we have to find some place else to shoot.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Most likely the law will say something about discharge of a weapon. Unfortunaltly a bow is a weapon. I had that happen to me. The cop just told me to get behind a fence- out of sight out of mind.
SL

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
He's either new or there was a complaint called in. See if you can tell when his beat is. Then you could shoot at other times. If a different cop comes by, someone complained.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
He was driving by saw me kept driving 50 more yards then backed up.  I have talked to all the neighbors to let them know what I am doing and when I am shooting so that we are all on the same page.  He is not new, he works the 7-3 shift I think but today was driving around at 6 pm.  I am guessing he picked up a shift or something.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Who do I talk to to get a copy of the law?

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
wow... that sort of thing is simply beyond my comprehension....   :eek:
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Do you guys have a City/Town/Village Hall or some other type of municipal building that houses your governing body?  There or the police department should have copies of the ordinances on hand.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Go down to City hall.  Ask for a copy of the firearms and any other weapons ordinances for the village.  Make sure to ask for the documents that define what a weapon is under the ordinace.  You will want to check with the City Attorneys Office for these documents.  Read them and then ask specific questions about what they really mean.  Do not tell them what you are doing.  If it says firearms in the ordinace then you can shoot the bow they are not a firearm.  If it says weapons you need to know if a bow is defined as such.  Not to knocks cops here but a some of them don't have a clue what the law really says in a lot of cases.  I work with them all the time at the City I work for.  Some of them are totally out of touch with the ordinaces they are enforcing.  Most are fully informed and are awesome at their jobs.

If you can shoot the bow, have a copy of the ordinance at the house.  If an officer stops to chat again, politely show him the ordinace and definitions and he will then leave you alone.  Never be rude to a man with a gun, much less one with a badge.  Save any arguments you may have for the judge.  They make all the decisions.  The officer is just doing a job just like you do yours every day.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
In my township your not allowed to have those little open fire pits that everyone has now for their decks and patios including myself i was wondering if they were legal to have or not since they are open burning .One of the local cops said he wouldnt purposely stop and cite someone ,but if a neighbor called in a complaint,he would be obligated to enforce the law.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Sounds like the cop was bored. Sometimes they have to drum up something to do.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
If it is like a lot of laws, they don't enforce it until someone complains.

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
in my town I cannot shoot at a park or from or over a town or village maintained path or road.  It says nothing about my back yard or driveway!

So far a few concerned neighbors but no police.  Good luck WI Teacher.

PS you can shoot at the rib mt bowmen if you are close. I got my archery merit badge there.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
It is against the law where I live too.....fortunately there is a lot of tree cover and no neighbours nearby.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©