3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got in trouble while shooting!!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got in trouble while shooting!!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Put up a real tall fence around your yard and continue shooting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 8Charles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
You moderators need to look at some of these replies!!!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
There are reasons for the law and shooting bows might be safe in our hands but in someone younger a arrow can be dangerous and travel a long ways.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Do some homework as these guys have suggested i had the same issue with a neighbor so I respectfully stopped shooting walked to city hall asked if there was an ordinance against such acts and then proceeded to call the county deputy's office to check with them(which town ordinances trump any and all except for state laws) and after I knew i wasa covered I proceeded to shoot and the neighbor again threatened to call the police and did so.  When they arrived I explained that I had done all necessary prep work and I knew I was allowed to shoot and they agreed and went on their way.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
As said by several already, many cities have adopted broad language which bans bb guns, bows, air-soft type guns, along with regular guns.  I have a decent sized garage that if I shoot diagonally can get up to 15 yrds.  Can always give that a try.

One possibility for you; a lot of cities have county jurisdiction within the city-pockets where the city ordinances don't apply.  Does your 'village' have forced annexation of county areas as it expands?  If not, just find the nearest chunk of county property and if needed, talk to the landowner and you have a nice, legal, hopefully close to home range.  Good luck

Jeremy

P.S.  As for those who don't like/get irritated with the cops, the reality is the folks elected in by the majority make the city ordinances that the cops are obligated to try and enforce.  If someone else knows it's illegal and watches the police drive right on by, guess who starts getting complaints...?
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Sometimes these laws don't make any sense. Where I hunt in small town Wisconsin it is illegal to target practice with a bow within the city limits unless it is at an approved range, but you are allowed to bow hunt within the same area as long as season is open.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Well you got some good information to follow up on.  The cop bashing is out of line and needs to stop.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
stik&string-

Perhaps more trust is put into hunters who have had to take safety courses vs. the possibly untrained person target shooting?  Either way, I can see your frustration...  Would be nice to get an ammendment to practice if you hold a valid archery permit?

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by stik&string:
Sometimes these laws don't make any sense. Where I hunt in small town Wisconsin it is illegal to target practice with a bow within the city limits unless it is at an approved range, but you are allowed to bow hunt within the same area as long as season is open.
Simply Unbelievable!!!    "[dntthnk]"
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
I can see having laws in a suburban area where homes are close together.  The laws are there to protect us from the few idiots and unfortunately can keep some of us who would take proper precautions from being able to shoot our bows.

By the way, maybe the posts were pulled, but I haven't seen any bashing of police officers.  Maybe a small knock in saying he was just bored.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Matthew,

Officers are sworn to enforce the law, even if they themselves don't think it makes sense (been there, done that).

If city law says "No discharge of a weapon" then bows, paintball guns and even beany-flips apply.

The officer probably could have written you a ticket, or even arrested you.

Sit out front of the house and wave him down next time you see him. Appologize (and mean it!) for having possibly committed a violation and ask if he knows of any place close to practice. He may bowhunt himself and have a great place to shoot. At worse you still have to make a 5 min. drive to practice and you stay in the "good guy" column with him.

He backed up because he decided he couldn't let it go. If by some freaky accident you did some sort of damage or, Lord forfend, hurt someone, what is he supposed to say? "Yep, saw him doing that but I figured he was okay."

If there is a law and you don't like it, get enough folks together and change it. If the law says it's OK only at an approved range, get some folks together and have the city designate a range.

The guy was just doing his job. If he had over-looked something that you didn't want your neighbor doing (and it was against the law) the shoe would be on the other foot... so to speak.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
I was just looking for that myself and couldn't find it. Anyway... I also live in an area where it is against a city ordinance to fire a projectile weapon. Not even slingshots. I have also had conversations with three different cops while shooting my bow and none said a word about stopping. Good for me! I guess to do it right I would take the formal road and go through all the hoops and red tape. Having said that, I think I will shoot tomorrow. Good luck!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
While all you cop haters are at it, maybe he should get loaded before  he drives there, itll be fun shooting cock eyed.He "Probably" wont run anyone over, only a slight chance.And why not shoot clear across the street? As long as he doesnt see anyone coming he "Should" be fine.Not bashing you Wis Teacher but some of these replies are offensive.If the cop was wrong let him know but its your responsibility to check your local ordinances.If hes correct thats the way it goes and your lucky he didnt cite you. and take your bow.Not too many police have the extra time nowadays to flex their muscles just to show that they have more authority than the rest of us.

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
After reading this I am Glad I live in a area that allows me to shoot in my Yard without worrying about it. I feel for you and everyone else that can not shoot in your own Yard. Packing up just to fling a arrow Takes Practice to a more dedicated Level.

Whew, Glad I don't have to travel to shoot.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Read my signature.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
When I lived in Seattle Washington area I had to stop shooting in my back yard when a new neighbor moved in and complained. But now I live in rule Alabama and I can even shoot my muzzleloaders in the back yard, now that’s what I’m talking about. Just move to a better area......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
I'm lucky where I live - have an open farm field behind my house.  I'm in the county, but the house to the south and the houses across the street are inside the city limits where shooting any projectile is banned by city ordnance.

I work for the State Patrol (Communications)and while not a sworn officer, the disrespect towards law enforcement bothers me.  For some reason - even the word 'cop' tends to raise my hackles.  More often than not those calling in and using that term - usually get a lecture from me.  Anyway, good luck - I know how nice it is to be able to step out the back door to shoot a few arrows.
Craig
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to have a prived fenced and secluted home where I can practice everytime I want.Otherwise up here could be a problem since you must obtain a permission to have a shooting range for archery,checked by the Police and Fire Dep.To fire some rifles you have to go in certified shooting lanes only.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Yep we lived in a golf community a few years ago and I was shooting in my backyard.  Got a letter from the city asking me to stop or I'd get in trouble.  It was funny because the neighbors hit golf balls across the road too each others yard.  I hit my target, they hit everything.  LOL

Oh well, I can shoot anything here now.  It's the price we pay to live where we want too.  If the ordinance is no discharge, it's no discharge.

Give the officer a break, he was doing his job.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Been there!!!! Archery is such of an important part of my life that I moved to where I could shoot uniterrupted. Maybe that's taking it to the extreme, but I am relieved.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©