3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: river cane  (Read 435 times)

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
river cane
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
Does river cane grow in Ontario (Canada)?  I've tried the Martha Stewart cane, but have had limited success.  I guess I'll check out the local garden centres again this spring.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: river cane
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
No it won't grow that far north
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Umm..er..well... I'm in the southern-most part of Ontario. My parents' house is close by. Here's some cane in the pic from my Pa's backyard. It's the stuff surrounded by chicken wire. Didn't get there naturally, of course. He ordered it online from some place in B.C., along with a coupla other varieties, including giant. The pic is just after the first year. There's alot more there now. Before winter, you have to heavily mulch it, and then cover it with a big plastic sheet to keep it from getting wiped out. But each year it starts up again and spreads a little farther. He put up some chicken wire to keep the bunnies from eating tender new shoots. One of these days I may see him make a finished arrow with one of those cane.

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
well shut my mouth. According to the books it doesn't grow that far north ha ha
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Hee Hee. Well technically you're right. If you wander the countryside here, you'll never find any.It can be "imported" here. And then it needs protection for the winter. And it'll never get quite as impressive as elsewhere. The giant variety will never get to the point where you can back a bow with it. But the odd person here/there will try to grow it for something unique in the yard. Plus, the county where I live is called the "banana belt" due to milder winters and really hot/hazy summers. Lake effect, plus humidity from the Ohio Valley. I suppose that helps grow 'boo.
The older I get, the better I was.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©