3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another snake boot question  (Read 1021 times)

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
another snake boot question
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Seeing the previous snake gaiter question, would like to ask another one.  I simply want your input if you have them (boots, not gaiters)...
Do you like yours or not, and what brand/model?
Looking for comfort on long walks through the swamps, as well as "water proofness".  
Thanks in advance.  Dan

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: another snake boot question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I have the Rocky Snakeboots and actually like them a lot. I put SuperFeet inserts in them and they are very comfortable. They're not too heavy and were great for stomping through cactus and thorns in south TX. I wore them in Canada in the swamp and they weren't much on "water proofness". I'll be swamp hunting in snake country this weekend with them again.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Al Snow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
I have a pair of Bass Pro Redheads that I like fine.  Very comfortable.  They've only been in water a couple of times, but didn't leak.  I ordered them 1/2 size large and am glad I did.

Used to have a pair of Rockys that I ordered at my regular size.  When they arrived, they were a bit snug, but I thought what the heck, they'll stretch some.  NOT!  That material doesn't stretch a fraction of a millimeter.  The farther I'd walk in them, the tighter they felt.  Ended up giving them to a friend of mine.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
al snow is right about the rockys being a bit tight. I wear the wide also. I have there wellingtons and love them I am on the third pair and have abused the heck out of all of them.stand in water no problem.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
I have a pair of Rocky's that I like a lot.  I found some knee high warm weather socks and they are comfortable even in dove season.  I haven't had any problem with them leaking.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I bought a pair from Cabelas to go on a hog hunt this winter.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_812082&id=0047522812210a

UNBELIEVABLY comfortable.  I dont know what size you wear, but these are on clearance for even less than I payed for them.  If you happen to be a 10 or 10.5 D, these are one heck of a bragain.  I did a lot of walking on this hog hunt and they felt like tennis shoes.  Totally waterproof also.

KPC
KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Every pair of Rocky snake boots I have owned (7 or 8) have leaked within a year.

I now own a pair of Danner Pronghorns which are great wearing boots and they don't leak..........yet.  I also have some zip up Irish Setters that are very comfy too.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
I like the Rocky Snakeboots after I got them broke in.  They were uncomfortable the first few outings...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
I wear redhead and they wear well. Haven't had to try them for water proof yet. They just make me feel more at ease where ever I'm hunting.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks, please keep them coming!

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I've got a pair of the Rocky's that I really like. Haven't had much of a chance to check out the waterproofness much yet. I'm with Van, good comfort after break in, but break in was a struggle!
I also have a pair of the Justin's slip on's. They were great right out of the box. But then again I wear Justin's everyday.
The Rocky's give better support for rocky/broken terrain.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
got rockys they ok but not for runnin ridges in the mountains
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Ive got a $275.00 pair of Chippewa lace ups that I bought for Sweat Hunt #3. Wore them one day and they neally killed me! Felt good in store, chewed my heels to shreds in one day! So that would be a big no for boots for me. Check out Turtle Skin they make snake pants for $150.00 good to the knee and not stiff like gaitors.
hunt it

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
I've got the Rocky Guide Series boot and they are extremely comfortable fit and wear wise, but they are hot.

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Here's one to ponder, Insulated snake boots....Why? Must be for that rare albino snow snake up there north of the border ay?.....
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I've been using a pair of Russell's lightweights for the last couple of years and really like them. Expensive but sometimes you can find your size on their sale list.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm going on my 9th year on a custom pair of Russell Laceup 16" Turkey Plainsman boots.They are snake resistant. You trace both your feet and give several measurements and they make the boot to your foot/feet.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Hey Joey,
I've been looking real hard at the Russell TurtleSkin Turkey Hunters. How do they hold up in the water? I paid $189 for a pair of Rocky's and they leaked the first time I wore them. I've used them about 5 times over the last 2 years. I'd rather be dry and take my chances.

I just about stepped on another cottonmouth yesterday afternoon when I was hog hunting. I see one at least every other hunt. Here's picture of him.

Missed a hog right at dark. It was moving, solid black, and just about too dark to shoot. It's tough to pick a spot in those conditions!

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Orvis sells Gorkey snake boot but rather expensive.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Hello Chris old friend, they leak also. I have tried different dips but...they leak to...but they are so comfortable. I'm personally into comfort than dry but I usually turkey hunt Fl,Ga, Ms and TX every year so piece of mind is pretty important. Call them and see if they have improved the waterproofness. Mine are old and broke in. I barely had the money 9 years ago but glad i purchased them now.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©