3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another snake boot question  (Read 1020 times)

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: another snake boot question
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
My russells havn't leaked during several creek crossings but mine are also double vamped.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »
I guess I have an odd foot, but I honestly can't stand my rocky snake boots. The first time I wore them they leaked, and to me they are not comfortable at all.  I am thinking about trying a pair of the rubber snake boots cabela's sells.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 05:53:00 AM »
My Rockys are very noisy.Get them damp by walking through wet grass and they will sqeak all day.I am going to go with the zippered Red Heads this year I think.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Do you think any boot labeled "GORE TEX" will be more waterproof than other similar products, I understand they are very strict on their licensing and the use of their material?

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
All of my 34 years of professional forestry has been in S. Georgia, S. Carolina and Louisiana.  I've encountered a couple "no shoulders" over the years.  Snake protection is part of our personal protection equipment [ppe].  

Russells have been the most comfortable and durable of any I've used.  They are the only boot that I've tested.   :)   They work.  My company allows me to purchase any snake protection on the market and provide reimbursement.  Currently, I have a pair of Rocky's that work well, but with retirement looming, I do believe it's time to order another pair of Russell's.   :)

In the last 10 years, four folks of my acquaintance have been snake bit, the latest a friend's college kid, last week.  A cotton mouth got him twice on the foot while swimming with friends in a creek.  Several days in the hospital and 16 anitvenom [yes, 16] at $6,000 a pop...fortunately he has good insurance.  My wife's cousin [a doctor] and his father, both got tagged by copperheads on the arm and hand fooling around in out buildings.  Neither enjoyed the incident.  

A local forester got tagged above his leather boots by a timber rattler and will always have a reminder of that incident.  He was only going a short distance to check something and didn't take the time to change boots.

When I worked the turpentine woods of S. Georgia in the early 1970s, I met several old woods riders and hands that had the experience of being tagged by eastern diamondbacks.  Believe me, you really don't want to experience that.

When I enjoy a walk in the woods, be it work or pleasure, three things always accompany me...my osage walking stick, my Silva Ranger and snake boots.

Snake protection is good insurance...nothing macho about going without.  There is a good selection on the market nowadays...in shouldn't be difficult to find something that suits you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©