3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robin Hood  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Robin Hood
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Took the boys to see the new movie with Russell Crowe as Robin Hood. Excellent movie, and some great longbow shooting scenes.

Any time I see that hail of arrows raining down on the intended targets, I am amazed at how deadly that tactic was. Truly the longbow was the original assault weapon. Plus i always love watching those crossbow shooters gettin their butts kicked.

This was a good flick, I highly recommend it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I was planning on going to see it this evening but got caught up in shooting my bow and missed out on the times when I could see it and be back home by the time my wife got home from rocking little babies.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the review.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Great flick.  Thought it would be more about the bow though.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
I just got back from watching it with Reed.  We both enjoyed it.  There was not as mjch archery as I thought there would be but it was still a good movie.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Sliver Sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Saw an interview with Crow about the making of the movie...he shoots a 38lb. self bow (insert grunt here)and seemed quite proud of that. "Spent a few days shooting it before filming started"
So...he's got that going for him.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Went with the wifey tonight.  We both really enjoyed it.  No trashy sex scenes and usual Hollywood junk, just a very pleasant and tastefully done movie.

Crowe was great as always.  Those lonbow scenes as the French made their amphibious landing were excellent.  The action scenes were also not overdone, making it credible, except for just a few shots that I won't eloborate more on; for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Oh thanks alot Buckmeister.....no need to see it now. Why waist time and money if I already know what's gonna happen.    :smileystooges:
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sliver Sticks:
he shoots a 38lb.  
I find this hilarious, considering people of those times could have possibly been shooting 4x that weight.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Really interesting.
A couple guys on another site I visit saw it and were thouroughly disappointed by the show.

I doubt I'll go see it. But then, I don't like Crowe and don't often go to the movies anyway.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I was gonna go tonight, but got held at work too late. Looking foward to seeing it.
Russel Crow was a close friend of the Crocodile Hunter, so I would imagine he is nay on hunting, but you never know..

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
I didnt see this thread,before i posted another,concerning why this is a taboo topic on another site.Is there something i should know about Crow?The Thread is,"Does Anybody Know?" if someone cares to share their insight.
Oh,And i noticed that too Guy.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Chris O youre exactly right I chuckled myself im anxious to see it now boys!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Probably,because they are actors first and recent archers,with a bit of Training.Maybe their coach saw fit to start em light,to develope good form,so they would look like they knew what they were doing and could actually hit somethin with it.LOLI doubt they wanted to wait the time it took to build up to the weight that those early archers used.Im probly the worst at nitpickin a film to death at inacuracies,but Cmon guys,lets be practical.LOLIm not usually up in arms about any movie,especially when it deals with history of which im familiar.Im usually very dissapointed but,i saw an interview on Tv with Crow,promoteing the movie,and was impressed with his genuine enthusiasm toward the history and craftmanship,pertaining to early archery.I mean the Guy was Genuinely exicited about it and forced the cameraman to do a closeup of the bow as he described the difference between the sapwood and heartwood and the why of it all.I can tell the Guy may be hooked.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
Me and the wife just saw it today.  It was a real good movie, just wish it would have been more about them shooting instead of just the war aspect of it.  But it did do it's job to tell the story up till, and why he became an outlaw.  
  I think the the next one will be more what I would like to see.  Stuff like the guys just shootin' and havin' fun, you know "Merry Men" and all that kinda stuff.  Some tournaments, and some good archery scenes instead of the war tactics of just letting waves of arrows darken the skies.  It was good though, but I think the next will be more enjoyable.  Hope so anyway.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
The boy and I just got home, awesome movie! Probably go see it again here soon! I'm hoping for a part 2 of some sort!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
This may interest some.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
Brothers of the Bow do Robin Hood. I just got back from the movie with my two brothers and Gene and Barry. We took a break from editing our sequel to Primal Dreams. RH was entertaining, but I guess it also depends on who you go to the show with. Ha!  Now its back to editing. Mike

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
I'm with traxx I havnt seen the movie yet but I did see that particular interview.  I was impressed he had been given a thorough working knowledge of the bow and it's use, etc.
My guess is, we as Avid Traditional archers, are going to naturally be WAY too Judgmental of what we see on the big screen. Especially when it comes to our passion.  We must understand This is a hollywood portrayal of Robinhood and not a lesson in the selfbow and how he used it.  I say sit back and enjoy and maybe this will Spark the interest in someone to pick up a bow and learn to shoot..

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
I'm with you, Matty. I went to see it last night. My wife and adult daughters accompanied me. They, of course, would have preferred one of the new chick flicks playing but went with me for my birthday. They all enjoyed the movie and I was thankful for them going.

I would have liked to have seen more archery, too. I thought the wraps he wore on his fingers were interesting. Never seen those before.

They certainly left it open for a sequel but I'm not holding my breath.
Romans 8:28

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
Probably,because they are actors first and recent archers,with a bit of Training.Maybe their coach saw fit to start em light,to develope good form,so they would look like they knew what they were doing and could actually hit somethin with it.LOLI doubt they wanted to wait the time it took to build up to the weight that those early archers used.Im probly the worst at nitpickin a film to death at inacuracies,but Cmon guys,lets be practical.
I'm not putting him down or anything. I think its great to get some light on trad archery and I would never expect them to shoot accurate weights of the time. I just thought it was funny since there is such a large difference. I wish I could shoot a 150# bow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©