3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robin Hood  (Read 1182 times)

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Just had an epiphany (sp?).

To us trad archers, the movie is/should be about archery because that's what interests us and that is the aspect of the movie that we tend to focus on. We look at the leather hand guard thing he wore to protect his fingers while shooting off the hand. We look at the bows and try to decide what kind of wood they used to make them. We look at the arrow fletching and how it's attached to the arrow. We notice the size of the arrow shafts and the self nocks. We notice how Maid Marian strung her longbow at the first of the movie. And I'm still intrigued by Robin's leather finger wraps ... only on two fingers.

Most movie goers never notice these things. I doubt seriously my family even did. To the general population it's just an adventure movie.
Romans 8:28

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I plan on taking the wife to see it tonight. Hope its as good as you guys say it is. I'm going for the action and bows she going because she likes watching movies from that era.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
We're headed out in a few minutes for a 4:40pm showing. Us old folks can't stay out late any more..lol

I'll give my report on it afterwards.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
There was a full page article about the movie in a recent newspaper. It stated that Crowe was shooting 200 arrows a day for several months to prepare, and even went bowhunting barefoot once. Of course hunting to Hollywood types might be stalking Sparrows in the backyard. It did say that Crowe really took to the Archery aspect of his part. I'm not a fan of his personality, but he does prepare intensely for his work and is very good at it. I'm anxious for it to come out on DVD, as I never go to movies.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Me and the missus will be seeing an afternoon showing tomorrow and look forward to it. Going for entertainment purposes only. I'm sure I will watch for the same things we all would watch for, but Im a big fan of Crowe movies. This one is right up my alley. His shooting prep for the role was intense. I saw it on OPRAH  :banghead:  in the film.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I have a 10 and 6 year old, both boys.  Would you say this movie is too intense for younger viewers?
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
No I wound not say it is to intense.  There is some violence in the battles scenes. I think that children can handle the violence since it is presentd in a realistic manner and is not just gratuitous.  I always talk with my kids about it before and after the movie to help them understand what they saw.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks Clay!!! I know where I am going tonight.

(this was my 100th post!!!)
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
MIKE, you guys didn't invite me to come up and go too, HA!!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
The wife and I just got home from the movies.(Robin Hood) It was well worth watching but I'll be even happier when they come out with the sequel. I'm sure they will, it's too well set up for one to miss the chance. One way to measure how good a movie is, how long does it feel? This one is 2 hrs and 20 minutes but sure didn't feel like it.

I believe they gave two hints to a sequel. I will hold off on giving those hints so as not to ruin anything for those who haven't had a chance to view it yet.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

My 2 cents worth.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
just got back from the show. i liked it but was lost. byron fergeson said he did a robin hood for the movie in one of his seminars but did not see one. i was kinda dissapointed of that. did enjoy it and me and my wife just rented the old one and are getting ready to watch.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm with POWDUCK,

that was some sweet archery gear and I loved those heads. Wonder if I can get those in 190 grain LOL

Mudd, I was thinking the same thing at the end of the movie that they set it up for good for part 2.

I really like those kind of movies anyway so you know I couldn't resist. My papa used to call me Robin Hood all the time cause I was shooting a bow and hunting with a bow while everybody else was shooting guns.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Just got home from watching it and my and mama give it a 10 out of 10, very good movie.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I cant wait for the second one.  It will fit us archers a little better I think.  I believe it will be more like the stories we read and saw in the previous years.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Saw it last night with the wife, and I enjoyed it.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Robin Hood has been my Hero since age 6. Every movie on him is in my library or at least they were until my grandson came along. These movies are a great way to pass the love of the bow down to the next generation. I'm trying to find a time my Grandson and I can get together to go see it.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
It was a pretty good movie. I was hopeing to see more archery and more longbow shots in the movie. But it was a good movie.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
As a history buff, I really appreciated the research into the true story of Robin, the archer in King Richard's crusade army. I liked the new corrected story and the way the movie tells the story of how Robin becomes an outlaw in Sherwood forest.

As a kid who grew up in archery in the 50s~60s we talked for hours on end about Howard Hill's trick shots in the Erroll Flynn version. Unfortunately all the "trick shots" in the new movie are CGI but the movie is great.

My favorite shot is the Sheriff asking for a nail to nail the outlaw notice of Robin to the tree  :D  

I'll probably go again this week - it makes me feel like a kid in archery again   :thumbsup:
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline coffee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
What are the chances this movie could be like the movie the River Runs Through It and focus a lot of attention on the longbow and possibly bow hunting?  I think the River Runs Through It had a huge effect on fly fishing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©