3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robin Hood  (Read 1179 times)

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
coffee I think like the Erroll Flynn Robin Hood movie, this movie is going to bring a lot of new folks to archery. I don't know if it will bring them mostly to traditional archery? but it's going to get some new folks to try the sport.
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
I just saw the live Crowe interview with Oprah where he gave her a sword from the film, along with a longbow and arrow, which he strung onstage while giving her a little history on wood selection, the bow's simplistic, yet effective design, etc.  I've seen him doing the rounds promoting his films before, which of course they all must do due to contract committments, however this time he really seemed to be dead serious about what he was saying.  Here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_p-kYhNB4&feature=related
Gary Logsdon

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
If Tuck was taller- he could be Biggie. I think Biggie even has a few beehives in his backyard.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
If there's a sequel I vote for Biggie as "Little" John, Barry or Gene can double for one another as Friar Tuck, and Paul Brunner??  Nope, can't use Paul, I forgot that he's in New Zealand getting ready to star in "The Hobbit":^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Gary, We would have ask you to come, but I'm sure you are sick of water. :>) We just had a bunch of flooding and I couldn't even get to Whitey's house. Editing is going slow, but we are making progress.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I hope you guys have better temps for this film's editing session.  As I recall you had a "sweat lodge" last time:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Finally got to see this and they did a great job. The man that was demonstrating the weapons could really shoot that longbow.

Sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I got to see the movie today with the family too. I was talking about the Hist Channel in the prev post. This was a great movie and let me add my recommend if you have not seen it
That last shot was terrific

Sam

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
CaptJack - ""trick shots" in the new movie are CGI but the movie is great"

Okay, thought I've run across every acronym imaginable, but what the heck is "CGI"?

I'm guessing "computer graphic image"???

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
This is in my field of expertise.  The "CGI" you're referring to stands for "Computer Generated Imagery".  In Internet terminology it also means "Common Gateway Interface", but we don't need to go there:^)

One of my former computer graphic students is a top CGI supervisor for WETA in New Zealand.  He's worked on films like Avatar, The Matrix, and even won an Academy Award for his Skull Island water effects work King Kong.  I believe his next film is "The Hobbit".
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Just got back from seeing Robin Hood with all of the family and everyone liked it. Not perfect, but that's subjective at best.  Let me put it this way; there's enough of the "right stuff" in the film to make it worth seeing.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
Anyone know when the History Channel will replay the Robin Hood show?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Silent Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
was it just me or did someone else notice this, when he was on oprah and he was describing the  heartwood and the sapwood on the longbow he got them backwards   :banghead:
When a man speaks of truth he has nothing to hide. - Silent Bear

When a man moves away from nature his heart becomes hard. - Lakota

When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. - Arapaho

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I noticed that too but I figured he was just nervous being in the "queens" presence..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
The only thing I did not like about the archery  was the creaking and groaning of the bow when he pulled back. I am a little surprised the technical advisor didn't object. Last time I had a bow make a sound like that, it broke.

Does anybody know much about Mr. Ralph, the archery consultant? I saw a brief blurb that indicates he's pretty knowledgeble both about the technical aspects of the longbow and its historical perspective, but I would like more info. Do any of the European members know him?
Sam

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Steve Ralphs   really does know his stuff. He's somehow become the 'go-to' guy for films that have archery in them. I'd normally tend to hold that against someone, but he seems to be the real deal.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
There was a flash video posted under the history channel topic and the actors really learned to shoot. The coach and bowyer said they made over 200 longbows for the film and about 5000 arrows. Something like that. Wonder if some of those bows are lying around maybe you could get one.

Wonder what pull they had?

sam

Offline Robert Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
I'm off to see it today after work, I sure hope its as good as every says it is.
65# Longbow Made by K.J. Miller
66" 65# @ 27"

60# Greatplains Texas Long Curve
64" 60# @ 28"

52# Selway II
60" 52# @ 27"

62# Centaur
58" 62# @ 28"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
We saw if opening night and enjoyed it. Hopefully this will encourage some that don't shoot much anymore to pick it up once again and encourage some new youth into our great sport.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
ive not seen the movie yet looks good tho!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©