3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PMA or PSA?? Need help deciding  (Read 460 times)

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
PMA or PSA?? Need help deciding
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I am gettin ready to buy my first widow and need some help making a decision...I can't decide between the PMA or the PSA...I know that I'm wanting a 58" bow...I will be using it for hunting out of a tree stand and on the ground some...

So what are the advantages to each? On widow's website it says that the PMA is more preferred by target shooters and the PSA by hunters...

My draw length is 28" and I will be getting one in 60lb draw...

Also what is the riser cut to? center or past center?

thanks for your guys help,
Coty

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: PMA or PSA?? Need help deciding
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
#1 Have you shot either bow before? Do you know if you prefer the standard grip or the low grip? May wish to consider the BW Try before you Buy program. It has been quite a disappoitnment and in many cases an unecessary expense that could have been avoided for many of us. The greatest bow in the world,if there is such a bow, may disagree with you, thus being of little use.

#2 My opinion based on your question though is as follows: Your 28" draw for a 58" bow is at the maximum recommended draw length for the PMA. The 28" draw is within 1" of the recommended max draw for the PSA. The PSA would be smoother due to the longer working limb.

#3 Your problem may now be deciding whether you want a PSA or the PCH.

#4 Be sure and contact the BW boys. They are helpful, knowledgeable and provide great service. They will strive to provide you with the best recommendations. Some information provided may appear obscure because each individual has different needs-meaning that only you can decide.

Your will be extremely pleased when you acquire the bow that fits you

Best of luck!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Hello,I own and have owend a few widows.My advice on the whole short bow subject would be the shorter the riser you can get the better off you are.I draw at 28" and have owned two 58"PSA'S they never realy seemed comfertable to me.My opinion would be the pma at 62" the psa at 60" and the pch at 58". All these combos give you the same working length limb.My favorite bow ever and the best shooting for me is a 62" pma.Good luck and I would consider the test drive deal 50 or 60 bucks in shipping could save you alot of misery down the road.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Give Black Widow a call. Sure they can help you out. I also work consider the test drive program. If your looking for a 58" bow I would consider the PCH. I also really like the PSA but in a 60" bow.

Bill

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
If you looking for a 58", look at their PCH, shorter riser than the PSA so you will get a nice working limb length and still have a short bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Well I ahve shot the psa but not the PCH...I am now leaning more towards the PCH...The only reason I am leaning more towards a 58" bow is because that's what I am used to and what I am comfortable with...But I might have to consider the 60" PSA...do you guys think that the extra two inches would make that much of a difference?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Now your getting down to individual specific preferance and only you will know that for sure.

The major difference I would expect you would  notice would be the heavier weight of the PSA.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I had looked at the weights on their website...I think I'm definately leaning more toward the pch now...I would love to find a used one but that would be like finding a needle in a haystack!!

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Another big difference in the models is the height/length of the sight window.  If you shoot with a more vertical bow the taller sight window of the PMA may be better suited to you.  If you cant the bow, this may not even be a factor.  Best advice is to shoot them all.  Preferably side by side, maybe get to one of the shoots BW attends or make the trek out to Nixa, MO...Mike

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
When I shoot I shoot instinctively...so really the sight window doesn't come into play...but I don't can't the bow very much...I like my bow to be pretty verticle when i release the arrows

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
I draw to almost 28" and love my 60" PSAII.

I chose the PSA over PMA becaue of the longer working limb for the same length.

If I were ordering today a 58" PCH would be how I roll, and would get the crossgrain graybark limbs.

Good luck, I love my BW...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Either bow is a great bow.But like most say i would contact BW to get more info before you spend all that money.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I am going to give BW a call tomorrow...Thanks for all the input guys!! Also do they require you pay up front or just give a deposit?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cmalone1:
Well I ahve shot the psa but not the PCH...I am now leaning more towards the PCH...The only reason I am leaning more towards a 58" bow is because that's what I am used to and what I am comfortable with...But I might have to consider the 60" PSA...do you guys think that the extra two inches would make that much of a difference?
A 58" PCH has the same lenght working limb as a 60" PSA
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cmalone1:
I am going to give BW a call tomorrow...Thanks for all the input guys!! Also do they require you pay up front or just give a deposit?
If you are talking about a test drive, i recall they charge your card for the full price of the bow they send and when you return it they credit you card less the shipping cost.

If you are buying a bow you pay up front but give them a call they may work with you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
got a 58 pma and love it and i have a 29 inch draw no stack..get what you want you are the one who has to shoot it
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
If you've already decided to go with a 58" bow because your hunting out of tree stands, then you've already made your decision, go with the PSA. That is what it is designed to do.

Offline Rackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I've got a 58" PSA and I love it. Designed for bowhunters. The PCH has a shorter riser, have not shot one, but I think it was designed for ground blind , and tree stand hunters.  Anyways, whatever you decide, they are both great bows.  However consider the grip.  I just recently sent my PSA back to Black Widow to have my grip altered to a low wrist.  The  standard grip is more of a high wrist.
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
If you are still thinking about it, check out the Black Widow Test Drive program for the bows that you are considering.

Tim
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©