3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: older bear recurves  (Read 261 times)

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
older bear recurves
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
just getting back to the traditional thing after a break. im looking to pick up a older bear recurve in a lower weight to start out with again. everything i have right now is just too heavy.

are there any particular years or models to stay away from that prove to have problems? i dont want to get stuck with a lemon, thats all.

i also assume most of the older ones are dacron only, right?

thanks, adam

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: older bear recurves
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
If you pick up a 60s or 70s Bear, you should be fine no matter the model. Yes, they are dacron only! I would look for a longer model for a smoother draw and less finger pinch, 58" or above. The short Magnums are handy but do have a fair amount of finger pinch.

I'm kind of partial to the Black Bear 60" recurve. I've had several and all were very nice bows. I still have one, though it is pretty ugly as bows go, but it's my bowfishing rig, so pretty doesn't matter so much. My daughter shoots a 45# Black Bear and loves it. Her's is also much nicer looking than mine.

It's hard to go wrong with a Grizzly either. They are easier to find, but tend to run a little higher in price.

I don't know of any real lemons in that era. Maybe someone else does, but I doubt it. Bears were solid bows at that time.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
I have 3 late 60s early 70s Grizzly bows, and I like them (I have 3!).  

RonP

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
The Grizzly are good shooters and cost around $140-200 depending from the year.The Kodiak are very stable and accurate shooters but they cost around the double.A good compromise could be the Kodiak Hunter.While the kodiak Magnum is a little jewel but at 52" it needs some accurate shooting.Anyway you can't go wrong with any and resell for the same price.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Bear bows are a great starting point. Hard to go wrong. I have TOO many of them if you ask my wife! Dacron only is correct. Pick one that strikes your fancy and works within your budget.

Fred made great stuff! Good Luck.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Might not want to go too far back with a vintage bow.  I have a l952 Grizzly (after Fred's aluminum lam disaster).  Both the late Al Reader and the Bear Archery Co. have told me not to string or shoot this bow as the glue is not very effective anymore.
no clue how to do this

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with any of the old Bears but, why limit yourself.  There are alot of old recurves out there that shoot just as good and are cheaper and easy to find now.  Wing, Martin, Hoyt, Shakespeare, Pearson just to name a few. I have picked up a few Wings lately and they are great bows, and I have a Shakespeare Ocala from the late 60's that I will never get rid of because of how good it shoots.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Reaper is right on. There are alot of excellent shooting bows in different brands available that are very reasonably priced.Don't limit yourself by having tunnel vision on only one brand.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Mack Marine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Love those Bears, stated getting hooked on Pearson's too! (Colt-Mustang)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
If possible, go to one of the many "classic" shoots going on this time of year.  Lots of vendors selling used bows, all makes, all models, and most will let you try a bow, or several.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Now is a good time to go to traditional 3-D shoots.Most of the time there is vendors there that will let you try them.Get what fits you,and you`ll enjoy it alot more.And don`t forget about the yard sales and flee markets.I bought a Wing bow for $25 one time.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
hunt4life...you really cant go wrong with those old bear recurves. I love the late 60's and early 70"s models. My bear td shoots right along with my best custom bows.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Another great, but overlooked Bear is the Tigercat. Usually go for 125$ or so. I agree, don't get hung up on only Bear bows. Howatts and Wings are often better shooters, and Pearsons are good solid shooters for way less money.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I love my 3--'56 kodiaks, my '57 kodiak and my 3--'56 kodiak speceils   hard to beat   Dick

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I have 2 1972 Bear Kodiak Mags that I would never part with....40# @ 28 and 45# @ 28.   I love these 2 little bows - they shoot awesome!  I did pay a tad more for them than I wanted to,  but they are MINT condition,  and hey....Im thinking years later Ill be glad I secured them when I did!  In my shopping for these little jewels,  I noticed something right away ....there were many out there in great to mint condition,  but they had the 2 little pin holes on the back of the riser where a sight was mounted.  This was very common.  Although not a total eye sore(in my opinion anyway),  and while not compromising the function and integrity of the bow,  it seems the asking prices were quite a bit lower as many people find the wholes undesirable.  You may consider this and be able to overlook the microscopic holes and get a great deal on a near mint old shooter of a Bear!  Just a thought  :thumbsup:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
Older Bears are a great choice from a shooting and a resale point of view. Stick with the Kodiaks pre 1967 if you can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©