3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More Pics- Legends Bows 2010 Annual Hunt  (Read 216 times)

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
More Pics- Legends Bows 2010 Annual Hunt
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Here are a couple more Pictures from our Legends Bows 2010 Hunt.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: More Pics- Legends Bows 2010 Annual Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
It looks you had a lot of fun!!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Details man….details. You can’t just throw pictures like these up and walk away.  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
looks like you guys had a lot of fun. and I agree with gatekeeper  :)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Ok, I'll start the story. It started about noon time Friday with a lot of us arriving. Immediately the joking and poking fun at each other starts to add to the colorful weekend. After throwing a few broadheads at a 3-d we take off hiking to the top of the ranch for a good place to view. Once reaching a nice vantage point, we spot a small herd on the hill side across the canyon. we watched them for about an hour trying to come up with a gameplan. Since Iam the "younger one" I get elected to drop into the canyon and back out the other side to push the animals down toword an area known as "the pond". By the way, the pond has a lot of great bass in it, but it is steep around the edges making it difficult to walk around without falling on your rear end and sliding into the water for a bath. The plan worked as the animals pushed down a trail for an ambush where Anthony and Ed were hiding. As I get beat up by the thick brush I am working through, the animals go over the ridge in front of me and what I didnt see was that they went right in front of Ed and Anthony at about 8 yards away. But ( and there is always a big but in a story) the goats had a different plan and bunched up in a tight group to where you could not get a good shot. Not seeing the two hunters, the goats had a sick sense and busted into the thick brush and down a hill to disappear. Plan #1 shot down in flames.  More to come---but I got to work.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
oooh great start.

Don't forget location and name of the ranch in the story...  

Keep it coming :-)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Ok, now we have to climb back up hill to another vantage point. On the way back up, I notice another one of the gang putting a stalk on an Angora. I creeped in behind him and watched. This gentleman--Rod was his name, had the most patience I have ever seen. He moved slowly like a turtle and inched his way to within 10 yrds or so from about 6 different animals. At any time, he could have taken a lesser animal, but he wanted this Angora. Over the next 40 minutes or so, I watched as he waited the animal out. As the other animals fed past him very slowly, the Angora finally gave him the perfect shot. By the way, I watched him draw and let down about 4 different times during this process. His shot was clean and effective with us hearing the "moan" within a few yards from where this all took place.  I see why Rod is very successful with his recurve and the number of bears he has taken over the years. It was a pleasure to help him haul his animal off the mountain side.   Got some more work to do will be back.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
O.K. Being the only female hunter of the group and wife of Mike Rash, Bowyer of Legends Bows, I have to tell my story. But it starts with the 2009 Legends Bows Hunt. As always, we had barely driven in to camp, (Bows & Boars Ranch) and we were already grabbing our bows and heading out, anzious to see what was out there. Mike, my husband, Jim, my father-in-law, and I headed to the top of a hill, when Mike spotted a herd in the brush.(Mike can't read a menu, but he can spot an animal half way across the United States)We left Jim half way up the hill and we headed around to the back side to try to push them towards him. As we walked up the back side of the brush, we decided to split on each side of the brush. I could hear movement, but was unsure where Mike was so I couldn't shoot. Then behind me he said "Did you get a shot" At that moment the herd moved out. I aimed,and shot. The herd ran, but my Spanish Goat ran about 10feet, fell and tumbled down the hill. The only thing that stopped him was his horns getting stuck in a tree, growing out the side of the hill. All I could think about was "Call the guys, I got the first animal and with only one shot" Wow, what a great feeling. My father-in-law gave me the nickname "one-shot-drop". The problem with that is I talked so much **** all year, that I was a little nervous about the 2010 hunt and living up to that name.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
As, 2010 Legends Hunt got closer, my nerves turned into excitement. Once again, The gang had barely got into camp, when we grabbed our bows and headed up the hill. I had told Mike all year, that this time I wanted to get an Angora. We spotted some sheep as we started up the hill, but they were on the run. We looked down from where we stood and saw a goat sleeping, beside a rock. Mike said "There's your Angora" We snuck down the hill and put a tree between us and the goat, as we slowly got closer. I drew back, first shot hit low, right under him. Drew back again, and hit my target. He stood straight up and looked right at us. Mike had already drawn back and put a security shot in him. He went about 10yds and fell down some rocks. In one breath I was saying "call the guys", in the next I was saying "I could have done it by myself". Mike assured me that I made a lethal shot, but that he was not going to take the chance of having to chase that goat all over the mountain side. He also assured me that it was an Angora, but as we got back to camp, and saw Rod bring in his Angora, I noticed his had much curlier hair than  mine. That's when they broke it to me that mine was not an Angora but a Spanish Goat, and that my husband had told all of them,to reassure me that it was an Angora. Oh well, With 30" horns, I was still proud of my Spanish Goat and besides, once again, I had the first animal down, within the first hour, of being at the ranch. Should I talk Smack again this year? Heck Yeah! Can't wait until next year.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Debbie, we all like to give you a little razzing, but really we all wanted Mike to dig himself into a large hole so we could watch him squirm his way out.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Looks like ya'll had a blast....what's the name of the ranch ya'll hunted?

Congrats all around!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Terry, the ranch is called Bows n Boars located on the coastal range east of the San Jose area.

After getting Rods animal back to the camp, we grabbed some grub and headed back out and up to the top area to find the animals. We spied the group that had a rather large Texas Dahl in it, and I told the guys that that was the animal I was going to persue. After splitting up, I dropped down into the thick brush coverd canyon where they were holding up. Some places on the ranch are really thick and after busting through the brush, the animals gave me the slip. I headed back down to the pond area to meet up with the rest of the group. At the pond, I met up with Mike and Jim and found that Jim had shot a nice spanish goat that tumbled down the hill and into the pond. Like I said earlier, the pond has some steep sides, and they were trying to figure out how to get the goat out of the pond. I handed my bow off to Ed and slid on my butt down and into the water where I could grab the horns. The idea was that they would throw me a rope and we would pull the animal up to a flat spot. There was now about 7 of us around the pond when one of the guys yelled to me that the large Dahl and a 4 horn were working their way down the hill to water at the inlet of the pond. What luck, but I am in the water on a very vertical slope and I do not have my bow. I see a small ledge about 4 ft above me and crawl my way up to it. The ledge is only about the size of my feet. Ed throws me my bow and the Dahl is working towards me. I nock an arrow and expect that the sheep will continue on this trail and I can get a shot when he clears the trees, that is if he doesnt see us, and everyone in the area stays really still. He comes around the corner and immediately stops, looking straight at me. He doesnt know what is there and is about 25yds from me. Many thoughts run through my head on the decision in front of me, when I hear someone from above me quietly say "pin him to that rock". It seems this sheep had stopped right in front of this rock and I see the shot. I draw back but didnt see the tree limb that hit the top of my bow. Lucky me the animal is still too curious and it allows me to re-draw with a cant and prepare to shoot. Right when I released, I knew! The shot was perfect and all that was seen next was my yellow fletchings bury deep into his chest, followed by a large gush of red. 2 jumps and a tumble down into the inlet ravine and my Texas Dahl was down. All this took place in front of a large group that had the same reaction "holy cow".
Now we have to use a rope to get 2 animals out. At least I have some help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©