3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Zephyr Broadheads??  (Read 402 times)

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Zephyr Broadheads??
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I have been looking for a new head to try (shooting 150 2-blade buzzcuts right now) and had been looking at the Zephyr Sasquatch head...It says comes sharp right out of the package and has a 1 9/16" cut!! so these two things right here have me really looking close!!

Just trying to see if anybody has had and good or bad luck with them!!

Thanks,
Coty

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Zephyr Broadheads??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Buddy bought some.
They were fairly sharp out of the box.
Not sharp enough for me or him.
Head seemed relatively well built. I found the steel to be quite soft.

I personally don't feel the stainless is worth twice the price. I feel there are better constructed heads of that weight for almost 1/2 the price.
Might be worth it if they were TRULY hair popping sharp out of the box, but they are not.
My 2¢
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I have about a dozen of the Zephyr Sasquatch and a dozen or two of the Zephyr Tempest both screw in models. I shoot them as a two blade and have arrowed several wild hogs including 2 huge boars great results. I find them very easy to resharpen to a hair cutting edge with a set of sharpening sticks and I am a poor sharpener to be honest.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I got 12 of them and am a little gun shy on using them  only because I had one of the welds break. For all I know, it might be just one of them that was a little weak.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the Input guys!! I appreciate the honesty...the only head that I have found that is literally hair popping right out of the back is magnus...I have heard silver flames but I can't justify spending that much money on a head...anybody know if any other good 2 blade that's realy sharp!! I suck at sharpening is the only reason I'm asking

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Get a KME sharpening kit.
You won't suck at sharpening any more.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I also suck at Sharpening thats why I like the Zephyr's in less than one minute I can have them hair shaving sharp on a set of cheap angle sharpening sticks. I just opened two packages of Zephyr's last weekend one the broadheads shaved hair the other was sharp but didn't shave.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I have had several welds break on the sasquatch..one in a block target, 1 in a bear and one in a deer, was told it was due to getting them to hot mountin em, so I epoxied them and still had a couple break, i trashed what i had left.. they fly very well, and are a killin head, but not durable enough for me..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I bought 6 to try.They would come apart with heat if you used hot-melt to mount them.I broke blades off others in a foam rubber target trying to tune them.I scraped them as well because I don't consider them durable enough to hunt with. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
good heads

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Man you guys have had bad luck with the blades how long ago was it when you bought the heads that broke? I have bought all of mine in the last year from Hornes archery bounced them off rocks, shot through foam targets into a wood fence, and hit a few wild hogs in the far side shoulder with angled chest shots never broke a blade yet not that it couldn't happen in the future I guess.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I haven't shot them a lot...but never had a problem with them...I don't hunt hogs with them as I feel like they get a bit wide too quick for bigger boar hogs.....but I did kill my biggest deer ever with one...rack size and body size...here's a 140 class 260 pound GA whitetail taken with a Zephyr Sasquatch....They are whitetail hatchets...cut through 2 ribs going in...and came out the other size poking the off side elbow....and gashing the huge heart on the way through....

I committed this 60 inch - 64#@28 Thunderstick MOAB to taking a big buck.  I have been taking this bow exclusively here in GA for 2 seasons hoping to get a nice buck with it.  The lams are Tamo Ash, and the colors of the limbs represent the many colors of the tines we chase.  And did I ever take a nice buck with it!...a 140 class 260# bruiser ten point.  Bout as pretty as they come......

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Nice buck Terry.Looks like that does enough talking to tell you that Zephyr is a goooood broadhead.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Used to use them alot. Things generally died soon. Never had any problems with them.   :thumbsup:

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
I love 'em, hog killers for sure!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
JMartin....can you show me pics of the hogs you are killing with these Sasquatches? And tell me about your bow/arrow set up?

I'm interested in hearing more, and seeing the size of the hogs you are killing with these wide heads.

Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
You do your job, a sharp broadhead will do its job   :archer:

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
My son has taken 3 bull elk with the Zephyr Sirroco in 4- blade. It's a great head. You should always plan on sharpening/honing any cut on contact head out of the pkg. They are a great tough head though!

Terry, awesome buck with beautiful lines!

ElkNut1

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Look at the post for the Legends Bows and look at  the texas dahl. that was shot with the scirocco. it was razor sharp out of the package and would shave hair.However, I do not like the bleeder blades. I needed something fast and I bought them, not my first choice but they are adequate and I have been successful with them.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Terry I live your hat! Great buck too!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic: