3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: late season rub & fawn pics  (Read 1591 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
late season rub & fawn pics
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Here is a photo of a rub from the week after Christmas. The last time I was home during the week of Thanksgiving, I thought it was kinda strange that this tree hadn't been hit this year. Also a photo of a fawn still wearing it's spots on November 23....very late for Indiana!

Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: late season rub & fawn pics
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Dude!!!!! Are you Ted Nugent!!!!!?????   ;)

(SORRY!!!!! I just couldn't resist LOL) Seriously though,I LOVE the "Nuge Arrows"   :bigsmyl:

Cool pics!!!!! I have seen late rubs before,especialy in January when the bucks are getting ready to drop thier horns.

HOWEVER.....I have NEVER seen a fawn with spots in November!!!!! Thanks for sharing them!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I have hunted west/central Indiana my whole life and i have never even seen a fawn with spots in October! Seeing one with spots in November is strange. I wonder when the mommie was bred.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
That fawn would be a good candidate for the freezer. Probably won't make it if ya'll have a harsh winter.  That's a sign of unballanced buck/doe ratio...late breeding.
   Where I live the main rut doesn't seem to happen until the first 1/3 of December and the second rut just happened this last full moon. Our season goes out usually as the first rut begining.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
In WI I have seen fawns late in october especially the year after warm falls, and late hunters moon.  Thus the name of my oldest daughter, Autumn Fawn.....

Most people complain about their names at one time or another, she never has!

Next year it could happen again..

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
I probably should have taken the fawn, but I was so surprised to see the spots, I was too busy getting pictures to even think about grabbing the bow! Many times in October, I have seen fawns that if the sun hit them just right, you could barely see some spots. No sun to speak of on that day but I could still  see them pretty clearly. Mike

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
haha...the nuge...
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
I second the fawn being a candidate for the freezer. They don't make it through winter very often and it's a matter of time before a coyote gets a hold of them. My 10 yr old daughters first deer this past season was similar. She asked me first before she shot if it was ok to take it. I had to explain to her(very quickly) that a fawn won't survive if it's born that late. Right after that she launched a 1716 with a Magnus 2 blade right to the heart.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Come on guys - Can it even get cold in Indiana?  Let alone deep snow? Film that fawn, it will be in your garden in the spring.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
First off, thanks for the pics.  I found some fresh rubs last weekend in Parke County.  Even one spot where there were some scrapes that had been hit a little.

Indiana winters are fairly mild.  That fawn has as good a chance as any to make it, assuming momma's still around.  It does look fairly big to still ahve spots though.  Maybe some pigmentation issue???  I'd likely not kill a spotted fawn, no matter what.  It's slim chance of survival is better than the 15-20# of meat I'm getting from it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Good to see you getting out 'ol mate. Whats wrong with that PL? Looks as though the shelf is on the wrong side...lol

In Oz, al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Unless you have a really hard winter that fawn will make it thru the winter ok.  Twice I've seen fawns during hunting seasons.  I went out every week at dusk after hunting season just to watch them with binoculars and they made it thru the season fine.

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
That is pretty cool! I have never seen a spotted fawn once the season opens up here in Michigan and that is on the 1st of October.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
I do know that this year where we hunt in IN that there was alot of late Nov. rut activity, whereas last year, it seemed the heaviest around the first 2 weeks of Nov. We also saw quite a bit in early Dec. last year. Still and all, never saw spots that late in the season. Mike

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Unless you really need the meat, let the fawn walk.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Heck this year it's been close to 50 deg most of January. I think normal temps are suppose to be 18 or so for this time of year. The rut was messed up big time this year. I agree with the others that this was needs to grow up a bunch before it's tagged. Can you imagin what the folks at the check in station would say if you brought one in with spots on it! People 10 counties over would know you by name if you check that one in. Let it walk.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Mike,
What kind of pack is that?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©