3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Heaven continued.....  (Read 832 times)

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Heaven continued.....
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
well as everyone probably saw, we had a great time a Ray's this weekend, just thought I'd get the stories up here
enjoy.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Hootsbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Heaven continued.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
great job Luke!!! Don't forget to get me some photos for my Hoots bow album!!

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
thanks, getting the photos loaded now

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
here it goes...

we arrived friday at 10:00, and Ray gave us the low down on the property and were to go.
Camp
  we hunted all day walk and stalk in the swamps down toward the river, were the woods are very cool and dark and were Ray said the hogs would be. we didnt see and pigs, but saw plenty of other wildlife like a 5 foot gator, and a couple turks and deer.
as dark came on , we headed to the feeders to be there as they went off. at approx. 8:30, 45 min after my feeder went off, 3 hogs wandered in, all the same size, about 70lb, and all with a white flair on their faces. they fed around the feeder cautiosly, with me trying desparately to look like bark up against a tree on the edge of the clearing. they began to feed directly at me, and I knew If they didnt stop theyded soon bust me. luckily, they decided it was time to go and reversed direction to leave as I xcame to full draw. the pig I was aiming at promptly did a 180 and gave me his butt, so I lined up with his buddy and let fly, hitting him perfectly for a hard quartering away shot. they beat feet, and made a loop of about 60 yards, and I heard him crash. I marked the spot and went to get help.
10 yards from my mark...
  allergies had my left eye puffed up like crazy    :(  
tackle used: 58" 48# hoots recurve, beamen mfx arrows, and eclipse 145 heads, 40 yd recovery.
everyone else saw hogs that night too, and Tim made a shot but couldnt recover her. the next day everyone hit the feeders for morning feed, and both Tim and Clair killed hogs. a great day of hunting ended with My Bro with a hog on the ground, and dad with a coon.
here's mine and my brother's hogs, with Dad in the background

both looked nearly identical, they were likely littermates, but they were in different groups when we killed them.
overall score was 5 pigs, 2 70lb boars, 1 170lb boar, 1 150lb sow, and 1 170lb boar,1 racoon, 1 armadillo, and 1 copperhead (yours truly)the snake in the picture on the other thread is now deceased   :archer2:  
Ray has a great pathc of ground down there and a great operation, everything runs like clockwork.
we'll be back next year.....
till then
Luke

Offline Hootsbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Great Job and nice pics. Thats two fine boys and one proud dad and dead hogs!! Hoot

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Great job and great story Luke!! Congratulations!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Luke, how old were you when you started hunting?
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Well done!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I really have to get down there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Way to go guys. Nice pitorial Luke.

Michael, them boys been huntin a long time . There dad has had them in the woods since they were little fellows. As for bowhunting, I think this pig was Ian's first trad kill and I know Luke shot a deer last fall with his bow. They are a pleasure to be around and I know those pigs will be the first of many. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I was probably 8 when I started off with a rifle, then birdhunting at 10, and bowhuntng a year and a half ago.
thanks eveyone
Luke

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
here's a few more pics of the flora and fauna
wild iris

5 foot gator

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Way cool! Thank you for sharing your hunt with us!!

God bless,Mudd

PS: Great job dad!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Great job all the way around Luke!   :thumbsup:       :thumbsup:

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
The first evening we hunted, Klair, Allen, and myself were walking in on the road and we saw a sow with piglets. She stayed in that same area the whole weekend. Joe and the boys were walking behind us so we split up. My first hog was a boar behind one of the feeders. He was really nervous and I shot him quartering away, I thought I could not have shot him any better. When he ran off, the arrow placement looked perfect. No blood, I could not believe it. I looked  for hours until I could not see anymore. The next day, I went to the spot and looked some more. I finally found my arrow and it looked good, half of it was missing. I decided to go out and stalk after that. I found pigs later that morning close to the river. It looked like the Raptor in Jurasic Park. All you could see was the river cane moving. I checked the wind and moved in on them. Circling and fighting a swirling wind, I finally started to see them one at a time. I picked a descent one out and concentrated on where Ray told me to hit them. Standing behind some river cane, the hog stopped and I heard the landshark hit with a load crack and it ran off. The rest of the pigs kept feeding, so while I was waiting, I decided to see how close I could get to the others. I was interested in a little 35lb spotted pig and wanted to get a picture. Then a sow came even with me and I decided to stand still with the wind blowing towards her. Ray told me what a good nose they had and he was right. I could predict that she would wind me and she made a noise and everyone bolted. I recovered my hog only about 20yards in the direction she ran. She did make a little loop.
That evening, I ran up on two more sets of hogs. I would stalk in and circle testing the way they react to noise and my scent. My intention was to find them and take Ean back there the next day because I was confident I could find them if they stayed in that same area. Ean connected that night though with a perfect shot on his hog. My shot was perfect shot for a deer but I just barely got the lungs.
The next day, Luke went with me and we stalked through the woods, glassing, checking the wind and we were unable to locate the hogs from the evening before. We did explore a little and found a nice copperhead and a large king snake that we caught. The whold time I hunted a small strip of land compared to the large area I had to hunt. I talked to Joe yesterday and hopefully we will all be back next year to capitalize on what we learned. Hogs are difinately fun to hunt and now I am hooked. Called Ray today and booked for next year.  Tim
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Some fine hawg slayin there!! Way to go guys  :thumbsup: