3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: flemish string question  (Read 481 times)

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
flemish string question
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I ordered a B-50 flemish string from 3rivers and after a couple of days, the strings on the loops(padding?) began to unravel pretty noticeably. I am going to order a new string from Chad(LBR) but in the mean time, is it safe to shoot this string on my bow?
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: flemish string question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
If it's unravelling, rather than just the tag ends sticking up, I wouldn't shoot it. I'd also get a refund from 3Rivers. that shouldn't happen.

JMHO
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline OKCtradguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
There shouldn't be any tags (string ends) in the loops.  I would either email or call 3Rivers and let them know.
Glenn

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
I've always got good CS from 3Rivers. Call them, they are good people to deal with.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
same thing happend to mine last week. started after 2nd or 3rd time shooting. I superglued all the frayes together. I might call and talk to them about it. It might be something they will want to document.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
If the loops are infact padded I would not worry about it, if they are not padded I would check the string grooves on your bow to see that you don't have glass seperating or tip overlays coming loose.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
PSEMAN
Is the unraveling realy occuring in the loops, or is it lower on the string where the ends have been woven back into the string?

If it is in the loops you have a problem and probably shouldn't shoot it, if it is 6 inches or so down from the loop and only looks like the tag ends of the strings popping up a bit, that would be normal.  Heck sometimes, for longbows I'll leave a couple inches loose unperpose to fray out. It makes a bit of a built in string silencer.
The string should not unravel as long as you have enough twist in it to hold it together.  
Is your Grizzly a 56" bow? and did you order a 52" string?  I have a similar bow and it likes the strings a little longer.  I build them all 53 or 54 inches and twist them down.

Geno
I'm not sure about superglue on a string.  
I would think that it would have a hard time sticking to a waxy string and if it did it may dry hard and create sharp edges that could cut strands of the string.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Badlands,

The ends(loops) are fine, it's unraveling about 4-6 inches down where the padding is weaved in. The bottom started first but the top is worse. The string on my longbow has the tag ends sticking out as you mention but there's an inch or so of the padding(I think that's what you call it) that has unraveled on this string.

My Grizzly is a 58"(1970-72 model) and the string I ordered was 54".

The superglue fix didn't work by the way.
Mark Thornton

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Not sure what to say, its hard to tell without seeing it, but if it has enough twist to it, it should be ok. The twist is what holds it all together so if you don't have it twisted enough the woven part will eventualy start slipping back through itself and the string will come apart.  Keep an eye on the loops. If they start getting longer and sloppy looking retire the string.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Mark Thornton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©