3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on Predator Recurves  (Read 513 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on Predator Recurves
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I need some advice on these bows.How would they compare to the Kodiaks.They look similar.Anyone shooting a low 40#one.Let me know you thoughts.

Thanks for all the advice,

David
David Janssen

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on Predator Recurves
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
These bows are the best price value quality out there IMHO.
I have two and sold my Schafer because the Predators are that nice and the Schafer was going to just collect dust.
I have a 20th anniversary #12 of 50 it is 60" 53# @28
And a Lepardwood one special made with the woods
it is 60" 52# @28
Love them both but need to sell one.
I have a Kodiak mag that was my dads and the handles are similar but the Predators are not as deep cut.
You will not go wrong with one of these bows. Do a search and you will find MANY people have and love them.

Tim

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Neighbor has one they are nice bows that seeem to be very fast.

D

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I bought one of the basic Hunter models on a whim out of the bargain cave at Cabelas. Best $319 I've ever spent on a bow. It is 60" and 46# @ 28". I draw it 30" with no stack. In fact it might be the smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot and I have shot or owned most of the custom recurves. It is also fast and very easy to quiet. It isn't the prettiest bow in terms of exotic woods and inlays, etc...but  it gets real pretty once you start shooting it. Killed a turkey with it this past Friday.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
JCJ, wow what a steal! I've been thinking about getting one of those from Cabelas but I completely missed the sale    :banghead:

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »
If you like a TD recurve you will like these.I like Schafers and Zippers and would not hestitate to have one of these as my hunting bow.Excellent shooting bows...at almost half the money of the other two.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Well, I can't resist these Predator posts! Here's mine and I absolutely love it.

:thumbsup:    :archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
A Predator has been my go to bow for over a decade.(the same bow)

My fourteen yr old son has a 42@28 Predator that he spent HIS OWN money on. If you only knew how he holds his money, you would then understand the value of a Predator.

Performance is world class. From what I have seen, they prefer arrows at or above 10 gpp. Never shot a Kodiak, so I have no way to compare the two. I have found them to tune very easy. Performance from my sons bow is simply amazing.

If it turned out you did not like the bow, they are EASY to sell.  

I`m another who can`t resist these Predator posts, and I`m also another who loves ishoot4thrills bow!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
They shoot where you look and are not too hard on the wallet.  Be aware that they have a tendency to fling an arrow very fast!

Can't make too many comparisons with the Kodiaks (especially the older ones that I'm most familiar with) other than the accuracy factor, but if you shoot a Predator, you will probably want to buy it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Beav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
My son and I both have the Predator Shedua Classic with 62" limbs at 42lbs. and 47lbs. respectively.  I have owned and shot both a Kodiak Hunter (late 60's) and a new Super Kodiak. While the Kodiak are nice bows. There is no comparison in my opinion.  The Predators are fast, smooth and quiet. I'm thinking of buying the anniversary edition before they are gone.
A fast miss....is still a miss.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:

I`m another who can`t resist these Predator posts, and I`m also another who loves ishoot4thrills bow!
Thanks, brother! I'm right there with ya! This is my dream bow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I have had a Predator Super Classic for 2 years and I love it.I just got another one on Tuesday from  a friend.Ron only made 28 Super Classics and now I have 2 of them.Yea Haw!!!! So now I have trouble deciding which one to shoot.They are real good preformers,and not to bad on the eyes either.

Mine are 45@28" and 47#@ 28.They shoot were you look and hit hard.Ron and Mike are great guys to deal with.Just call them up and tell them what you want and they will do there best to help you out.I know when I ordered mine I had never seen one other than one the web or in magizines.Ron told me if I didn't like it he would refund my money.Needless to say they are like Lays potato chips you can't have just one.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I have 3, and they are awesome. Two are newer, and the third was a pre-Darton Predator (mid-ninties). They are beautiful, quiet and very fast. One of the better deals out there. And, the last one took only 8 weeks to get to me !

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Stagetek, where are your pics?
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Like a lot us here I've had a ton of bows go through my hands over the years, and I have to say I regret the day I let the one Predator I had out of my hands. Mine seemed plenty fast and still stable and not twitchy at all as sometimes a fast bow can be. The grip seemed a little large at first for my medium sized hand, but it worked just fine. I shot that bow like a house a fire. I miss it. So yea I recommend 'em.

Steve

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
2elkhunt. I'd love to post them. But I never figured out how to do it here.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I got one off of this site last month. It's a pleasure to shoot and the one thing that stands out to me, is how it fits the bowhand. No question about hand position and I really like the shelf being cut that close to the hand.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I just sold one, and I'm not sure why!  They shoot great.

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
David, I have a predator hunter model 50# @ 28" amo and I have a predator custom classic 43# @ 28" also 60" amo. Best bows that I have ever shot(no kidding)!! smooth no hand shock, 0 stacking. I would recommend them to anyone 24/7(twice on Sundays)
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I have two--bought em new; Custom Classic and Anniversary (both LH).  I also bought one for my son this past Feburary (beautiful with tulipwood veneers). I really like the bows - the appearance, the performance, and the feel. I'm thinking about selling my Custom Classic (59 at 28" LH)with very nice red elm veneer limb backs. I'll keep the other one until I'm called Home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©