3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quivers..whats the best style?  (Read 481 times)

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
quivers..whats the best style?
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
i have a bow mounted quiver and i don't like it very much to heavy, what i was wondering was how do people carry there arrows while stump shooting and hunting? and if you anyone has any suggestions on how to make a quiver or something like that i would love to see some pics of some homemade quivers.
thanks
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quivers..whats the best style?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Best quiver, that is as subjective as the number of people who carry them.  I have a two arrow quiver on my bow and both back and side quivers.  All of them I made myself.  For rabbit hunting, stumping, and open country hunting I like the back quiver.  Around here there is a lot of brush so I tend to use the side quiver when hunting big game or turkey's.   Back quivers can be noisy if not made right and the feathers tend to flag since they stick up over your shoulder.  Dig around on the web.  There are some great plans and directions for back quivers.  If you dig around the search function here you will find tons of home made quivers.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I hate bow quivers too; but every hunting bow I own will have one attached one way or another. If it is really foul weather I use a weatherproof tube quiver carried on the side.
Great Northern bow quivers are about as light as it gets.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I use a skookum 2 arrow quiver on my bows.  Virtually no weight at all and have noticed no change in the way they shoot.  I use a catquiver mini attached to my pack to carry extra arrows.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
i like bow quivers but the only back quivers i like is dawg wear
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Put me down for the cat quiver 3.5 .I can keep everything i need all together.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Cody,

A quiver for stump shooting is a difficult proposition. Most of the time the points we use for that activity have odd shaped points, often times with springs, prongs or other doo-dads. This makes any type of quiver the arrows slide out of (like a back quiver) tough to use. Pull one arrow and they all come out.

A leg quiver that the arrows snap into works good, but I always manage to snag the fletches in the brush when I am crawling around.

A back quiver is a decent choice if the points allow. It stays mostly out of the way and you can haul a lot of arrows. Again though, since I am a tall guy, I have trouble moving around in the brush.

The side sling quivers seem to work pretty well. Arrows slip in and out pretty easy. The historic plains quiver style or any of the new tube type is good. Maybe I am just clumsy or something. I spill arrows out of the plains style whenever I stoop or bend over. I have a really cool looking tube type stalking quiver and have managed to nearly hang myself twice with the strap.

I have a belt quiver, shaped like a smaller version of a back quiver. Sort of a tapered leather tube with a wide belt loop. It works really well with points that draw out smooth but is a disaster with points like judos.

Now we come to bow quivers. Love them; hate them, for stumping or hunting in the thick of the woods they are hard to beat. I have several of the Thunderhorn Boa models (black plastic, the other fancy ones are heavier). They are lightweight for their size. In my experience, what makes them heavy is the number of arrows in them. I carry 3 for hunting and 5 for stumping.

I'm not a quiver collector, but I think I have three for every one bow I own, and I have a whole wall of bows. The search for the perfect, single, use for every occasion quiver is a grail type endeavor. Maybe it's more about the search than the object.

My advice is to make (or buy I guess) one of each type and use what works best for the moment.

By the way, I grew up in Sand Springs, down on Charles Page Blvd.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I very much like the Kanati bow quiver by Annawaekee Archery.  My boys and I have several of them and are very pleased with the quality and durability.  They really dress up a bow and I think enhance it's shooting by adding a little stability to the bow. He has several styles, we have them all on different bows and love them all.  Check out pics with quivers on Hog heaven hunt threads below. joe
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I like the plains style qiuver for stumping
bill browning

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I prefer a GFA style quiver.  I noticed that you live in Sand Springs, I'd be glad to let you play with mine to see how you like it.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
I'll second the Kanati by Annewakee. I have the 4 arrow model and it is very compact and well designed and very lite. The Best I've ever used and I don't (didn't) like a quiver on my bow.It will be on all of my bows.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

They are fun to build. Try it.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I prefer back quivers unless I'm hunting in wet weather then it's a Safari Tuff quiver I carry.
 I didn't know how nice a back quiver could be until I got one that was made right.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I love a back quiver, but it doesn't love me, stocky.  I use a bow quiver, when treestand hunting, just hang it when up there.  But last year broke down and got the safari tuff back/side quiver, will never look around again, it is perfect for me, and gets arrows off bow.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Not home made by me but I really like the Side Stalker style from Jack's Traditional Archery.  See it at  www.selfbow.com

You can use it with field or judo point shafts loose without the hood attached, or when using broadheads push them into the foam to keep them silent and in place using the hood.  This also keeps the fletching dry.  To get an arrow you just pull one down and out of the quiver.  Great hunting setup.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
The best one is the one that works for you.....you have to try or buy or build a bunch before you find the right one. They aren't for everyone but I like a Cat Quiver. The Mark Baker style side quiver that uses a Kwikee quiver is good also...at least for me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
i had a selaway then when i went to my fred bear bow the limbs were to small and it just fell off, so i bought a quiver from a company called cutting edge products in colorado great guy to do business with i just didn't like the quiver it is real heavy very durable just to heavy.i mainly tree stand hunt so i've been looking in to the eagles flight but i would rally like to a lite weight bolt on quiver to hold two or three arrows then get a side stalker or back quiver for stump shooting and playing around kinda stuff.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
how well do the catquivers work? they kinda look a little awkard.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Cody,

I have a couple of the Eagles Flight quivers. Good product, I like them for leaving on the bow while hunting rabbits or the like. The problem I have found with them is that the velcro is noisey when taking them on and off in the tree stand. That's why I went with the Boa. Straps are secure but come off quiet for when I hang it in the tree with me.

I have one of the Vista fleece back quivers. They work really good (for a back quiver) Quiet, the arrows stay in (most of the time) and it has a couple of pockets to put things in. Here is a link to a picture on Cabela's website. I got mine at bass Pro and didn't pay NEAR this much for it.

Vista quiver at Cabela\\'s  

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
i am pretty much a Hill style back quiver guy , but will often resort to a side stalker pr Cat quivr in inclement weather . don't like bow quivers at all.
Perhaps the best bet is a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster?
Rod is great guy who makes a fantastic product.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©