3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update: They're back - Hog Hunters Needed! July 4th Weekend  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update: They're back - Hog Hunters Needed! July 4th Weekend
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
If you guys have daypacks with hydration bladders in them we'll freeze the bladders and that will go a long way toward keeping you cooler during your hunts.

The pigs don't care how hot it is...fortunately for us.

This is my favorite time to hunt hogs- because everyone hangs out in camp from 10am through 4pm and you can get some serious bull shootin' in during that many hours!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Larry/Ray,

The only restriction, as it were, is they had to shoot Trad gear...Right??

I had a few folks I could've tagged, but we've not quite converted them yet...away from the dark side! All those who shoot trad were booked for the holiday w/ family stuff!

Larry, that 2nd vehicle will be a God-send if either Tony or I have to vamoose...don't forget my offer if you come solo and take the li'l rig.

You just get the stuff to Tony before Wed night is over! It will ride nice in the big truck.

Oh, Ray...NOW you tell us about the frizzen hydration thinggies...I'd always thought they were stupid for us E. guys...but see your point. Alas, ain't got the bucks to go get it for just this hunt...

I'll be packing hot power-aide!   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
I had a blue camelbak day pack that ws a god send hiking in hot weather. The bright blue won;t cut it hunting so I bit the bullet and picked up a small back pack at bass pro for 49.95. I think it will work great.

Doc give me a call tomorrow whhen you have a chance. I'll be home all day
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Tony,

I'm going over to Anne Arundel Fish & Game in the evenings this week to practice on a hog target they have. Want to come along?

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Doubt I have time. Trying to get things ready...this is my first trad big game hunt in 17 years so I'm starting all over with everything...I'd forgotten how long it takes to sharpen broadheads and get gear ready when you don't have a "system" wored out yet.

Washing my clothes tonight and tomorrow they get permanoned and when dry packed.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Guys, I am heading out in the morning.  Making a stop over in N.C. to see an old bud since I'll be in the "neighborhood".

Will be meeting up w Snakeeater on Thrs.

Till then if you need to reach me I'll be checking my email on my Iphone or Snakeeater has my cell number.

Looking forward to meeting up w everyone Friday in Estill.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Good luck guys. Stay hydrated hopefully there will be a great hunt story.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
BTW I'm bringin fireworks...figured we could have some fun blowing stuff up Friday or Saturday night....remember hold the fireworks in your bow hand not your string hand.  :scared:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Weather's going to be about as ggod as you could ask for this time of year...
Fri 7/2 - Hi 85 and periods of sun and clouds
Sat 7/3 - Hi 89 partly sunny and less humid   :D  
Sun 7/4 - Hi 89 mostly sunny

Of course Sunday's weather won't matter since we'll be sleeping in because the cooler's too full to pack any more bacon in it!  :readit:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
You guys are lucky on the weather.  It hasn't been below 90 for a month!

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Hey Duckbutt, If I remember I'll take a picture with my new t-shirt on!

Hopefully we'll be as lucky with the hunting too!  :pray:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
You got that right duckbutt. The Lord is smilin on us

I bet we won't even have to take anyone to the infirmary for heat stroke!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
It looks like a cold front is coming through for ya'll. Should be perfect!!  

Good Luck
Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
This is it. Truck's packed. Travelin food only thing left to put in truck in AM... Lordamighty!

Couple hours of work, then 83 S. to B'mo to pick up Tony and off we goes...  

Whatever I forgot, we goes without! Bow & arras and camo and boots..rest is luxury anyway.  :)

Now for my Pop to stay stable till I get back and to hope for a cell signal down there in Estill so's I can drive in to check in on him Fri/Sat.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
T-minus 23 hours, 16 minutes!

My last post until we have pics.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Be safe, have fun, take lots of pictures, shoot lots of arrows, bring home some pork!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Snakeeater took a bunch of Pics so hopefully he'll post some here. I'm a bit camera shy (that whole witness protection thing you know...just kidding) not to mention I forgot my camera

Everyone one had a blast as far as I could tell. Even Doc Nock athough given the aches and chigger bites it might be a week before he realizes it  :p  

No pigs were taken and just 2 shots at them between the 5 of us. One the first evening which I was unable to recover and one the last morning that resulted in a miss with a few almost shot opportunities.   :(  

Ray was a great host and the steaks were almost worth the trip on their own! I can't wait to go back.

We saw a lot of other critters including Chris who saw 2 coyotes one of which gave him a long shot after running off the hogs he was hunting, too bad. Watching him trail the hog and seeing multiple Coyotes that never knew he was there makes we wonder if he isn't part wolf or coyote himself. He impressed me greatly with his woodsmanship.

I started this thread looking for some guys to hunt with, but instead found friends of a caliber I rarely see. Let me tell you joining trad gang was more like joining a family than a club.

Sorry we don't have any trophy shots, but maybe next time. I haven't had this much fun in a long, long time and I really needed it so thanks to Ray and my camp mates. You guys were great fun and if there is ever a chance or need you are welcome at my fire.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I echo Chop's sentiments about Ray's camp. Great location. Good cover and there was plenty of sign. Excellent food and a great host. Wonderful camp mates!

Danged arthritis sure is a terrible task master! I was dead tired from the drive and didn't sleep in the hotel worth a tinker's _____. So sneaking along alert for several hours Friday took the startch right outa me! The Permanone didn't work or I got all the bites sitting on the porch Sat night too tired to even notice!  :)

But yeah, I had fun. It was hunting as hunting is: Wild game does and goes where it wants...way it should be.

Swamp was a gorgeous diversion for this ole ridge runner! Should've spent more time there, but it was a bit more of a hoof than I was prepared for by Saturday...next time.

I'm bringing a golf cart next time, too. Quiet, swift and get us ole buggars back where the river meets the swamp! Whooie!  :)

13 hr ride back and back through DC traffic after the fireworks, well..it wsa 2am when I hit home... still not rested up!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Maybe Brian will come on and talk about the 20 hogs he saw Sunday morning in a couple different bunches.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
For the record, I saw pigs every time out bu one. They just seemed to get the draw on me all but the first night.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©