3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most Underated bow you own......and overated  (Read 2590 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most Underated bow you own......and overated
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Ok guys let us make remarks based on experience please. Like most of us I've probably bought, sold and traded enough to get an idea of whether or not a bow deserves the hype. And probably there are many more that deserve more than what the big boys get in terms of accolades. I've had bows that cost me 1200 and I found them not one bit better than a 500 Hill made by Craig, in fact the Hill had much better craftsmanship.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Most underrated, RER vortex TD longbow with the bowbolt.  Not many of them out there, but it's my go to bow.  Most overrated, I'd rather not say in a public forum.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
The Mahaska recurve for under $500.00 is a stellar performer,and in my opinion underrated. Another I would have to put in the way underrated catagory would be the Kohannah take-down recurve. That bow has TONS on bang for the buck....maybe the best I've seen. Don't know if I can even think of an overrated bow. Different strokes for different folks there....My opinion
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Most underrated would be my Wes Wallace recurve; I'm not sure his bows are really underrated, but they don't get the press of something like a Widow (which is a good bow, too).  Most overrated, and this is for me only, is the Dalaa (DAS) recurve.  Many people absolutely love them, but I tried one for the second time (first time I bought just the riser and aftermarket limbs; this time I let 3Rivers set whole thing up for me), and I can't tune this bow.  I have tried every adjustment and just about every size arrow I can find, but everything kicks left out of it for me.  Like I said, they must be good bows cause many people swear by them, but it is the only unshootable bow (for me) that I've ever messed with.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
i love em all ,but have a hornes, 1 piece long bow ,that really, really never stops amazing me, i picked up used for 200. none overated overated for me i also have a SAG osage that i dearly love smokes an arrow and a pleasure to shoot it was also used and not expensive considering.if its a trad bow i like em!
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Under rated the Chek Mates and the Bob Lees. I have owned 2 Chek Mates and a Bob Lee both nice handling bows. I just perfer RER and Bear bows.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Some of this is kind of comparing apples and oranges. Those 60s Bear bows were certainly not underrated in their day, though they may be under-appreciated 40-50 years after their day. The same could have been said for the Pearsons and other fine production bows of that era. Saying a 50 year-old production bow is underrated while a current, custom (or semi-custom) bow is overrated is hardly a fair comparison.

I couldn't afford a Bear bow back in the early 70s, so I bought a Herter's Model Perfection 56" 50# @ 28" recurve. I passed it on to my eldest son, and it is still slinging arrows today in spite of it's $37.50 price tag when new. I think the Bears were 10 to 15 dollars higher at the time. I just couldn't scrape up that much cash at the time. I guess that means the Herter's was underrated.

As far as overrated, I have shot some high dollar bows that didn't work for me (including Black Widow). Others are more than happy to pay the cost because those bows fit them to perfection. The bows that have fit me the best have been some relatively inexpensive ones as custom bows go: JK Traditions Kanati and Dryad Orion. Both are great values. Are they underrated? Not by me!

It's a good thing we DON'T all like the same bows!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
My wife's 56" Darton, my old 72" six lam Bear Kodiak.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Most underated: Assenheimer

Most unknown but awesome:

Arnold Smit V Archery

Most inovative and cool looking:

My Son's Kajikstick and Mojostick by JD Lund

Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Under-rated: Seven Lakes Longbow.

Most over-rated? I have shot a lot of bows and what I found is some fit and some don't and there are a lot of mediocre bows and only a few really nice ones.
 It seems that even if the bow does not really "fit" me, if its one of those nice ones I can shoot it well too. If anything a bow should be smooth drawing and mild mannered even if its a performer.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I'm with the Ben Pearson group for UNDER-RATED!!! And don't think I have found an over-rated one yet, but I will let you know if I do!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by ckanous:
I'm with the Ben Pearson group for UNDER-RATED!!!
Wow there are quite a few of us, LOL!   :cool:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
The problem is I love all bows. Still reminisce about the many stick bows I made as a child. Can't recall seeing kids do that anymore. My favorite bows of all times have always been the ones that fit me. Thank goodness most don't.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
Sentman longbows get my vote for the most under-rated.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
Question, who cares?? This is totally subjective, based on opinions that don't mean or prove anything. This argument will go on forever and will never be resolved, because there is no definite answer, just pure speculation.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
Overrated to me are most bows that have 10 different kinds of fancy wood in them and cost over $500.  :)  Not my cup of tea since most times they shoot no different than a cheaper model and shooting qualites are my goal when buying bows.Once you get over about 4 or $500 in a bow you are paying for looks and it adds nothing to the shooting of the bow.
   I also agree about the Hill bows.No way they would ever sell if they did not have the Howard Hill name on them.  :D  

Underrated would be some of the imports in recurves and 21st Century in longbows.Both of these give lots of shooting for there value.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Who cares?  I guess I care. I have found this to be a very interesting topic.  If you don't care, don't read (and respond) to this.  I feel that there are many underrted bows.  I love my Dwyer, my Fox's and my Orion, but not too sure any of them are underrated.  As far as overrated, can't really say.  Never shot a widow that fit "me" very well, but not to say they aren't the cats meow for many other people, which they obviously are.
This is purely an opinion thread and if you are afraid of reading that someone else doesn't share the same opinion as you then don't read it!
I personally like opinion threads...Good luck this season to all

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2010, 03:23:00 AM »
I agree with you, Travis, 100%
I guess I'm not experienced enough in trad to have a viable opinion. All I know is that after shooting by my count 12 different makes of bow, my Lost Creek is by far the best shooting bow I've experienced. Shot a couple BW's and was....underwhelmed. Still want a PTF though for some reason. Diaper budget won't support ordering one new.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
I'm with Colongbow on the Lost Creeks. Not sure they are under rated as much as not well known YET! I have 2 of Chads bows and love them both. The other I would like to mention is Ed Mikuta. He makes great shooting bows and if you ask guys who have them they are shooters.
Over rated for me are Palmers. Had one and shot it well, but did nothing for me. Giving it the rating more for very poor customer service which to me is an absolute no no.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by pdk25:

Originally posted by frassettor:

Originally posted by tecum-tha:
 BW in my opinion, overpriced CNC-produced plywood with a lot of advertising to create demand
       :D      
That comment really shows a lack of class.     :readit:    [/b]
Maybe a bit harsh, but I don't think low class.  It's his opinion about a bow that he thinks is overrated, which is the topic. [/b]
Your right, my apologies. Thanks for bringing that into perspective for me.  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©