3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most Underated bow you own......and overated  (Read 2591 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most Underated bow you own......and overated
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I would say the Ben Pearson bows of the 60's. I really appreciated the "Mustang" model. It was a 58" bow that was suited to hunting or target.

I won't say anything negative about a bow or bowyer. Usually when we don't like a bow it's because we aren't tuned to it, it's too heavy, or we don't like the handle. It's a personal thing, and the bow may be perfect for someone else.

I like to shoot a lot of bows but I won't take a lot of time to tune. If none of my arrows suit the bow then I usually move on to another bow. I once had a bow that pulled about 50# but it wanted an arrow that spined at about 75#. It didn't stay around long.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have not found a bow that I have found to be not what I thought it might be. Some bows that are not well known, but shoot just great. That don't mean they would be underrated,just unknown. I recently got a Chad Holm-"Holm-Made" which I have found to be an excellent shooter and a good performer.I can see myself getting another of Chad's bows.   :thumbsup:    I have a bunch of bows and have had a bunch of others,I guess the jury is still out on the overrated ones....lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I would agree with others here that the vintage Bear bows are way underrated. For $75 to $200 you can get yourself a fantastic bow that shoots darts.

Ol' Fred really knew what he was doing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
I only own 9 recurves and I love them all.  I don't shoot them all and I could get rid of 3-4 of them for this reason. However, I can bear to do it-I am the original owner of all of them. Very strange, I don't get attached to anything else like this except my wife and kids! I have bows ranging from $400-much higher. The bows I've spent above a certain figure that many critize are worth every penny.  The high-dollar bows are beautiful in terms of fit, finish, uniqueness, and performance.  While I won't say it is my favorite or "most underrated" my BEAR TD Supreme (new model) is beautiful (most would consder too shiny) but folks the guys who design and make it are from a very old line of famous bow makers. The grip on this bow is amazing although very simple. I can shoot my favorite bows hundreds of arrows and am very satisfied with my results. Then I pick up this Bear and shoot equal or tighter groups without even practicing with it!  I'll have an A riser to go with the B riser in a few more weeks. A moderatly priced great bow is the Predator, I like the Custom Classic because I like fancy wood (the Anniversary model is my fav but it is salty). My bows are more than just tools to shoot. I think, this is what is drawing me away from compounds and back to recurves -- the aesthetics. I have no overrated bows and overrated for one might be quite different for another. There are two brands I wouldn't shoot if they were given to me, but it isn't about their bow, I don't like the their advertising.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
I meant to right "I can't bear to do it (get rid of one).

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Under-rated? In terms of performance? Accuracy? Quietness? Speed? Looks? Grip & Fit? All of the above?

We all measure a bow by a number of different characteristics. Some are happy to pay extra for fine woods & flares & custom grips or checkered or carved grips, inlays etc. Some bowyers are talented artists & capable of producing fine works of art that could be considered under-rated as pieces of art.

For myself, there is nothing like the pure magical flight of an arrow. It reminds me that there is yet still witchery in the world.

If a bow cannot do that, it is over-rated.

All the best! - Q.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Every bow has its strengths and weaknesses. I will say some are overpriced compared with others 1/3 the price that shoot better.  I think the martin bows are way under rated by many/most. The Martin Hunter and the Howatt Bushamaster are really fine hunting weapons, the equal to some 3x the price.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
"Most over-rated? (I know this'll upset a lot of folks, but hey, it's my opinion!     :D     ) Howard Hill Longbows. Inefficient design, slow, handshocky & the most god-awful uncomfortable grip ever thought up. Don't like 'em at all!" [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hills and several other D style bows are by far the most stable hunting weapon made. Plenty fast enough to kill any game animal a recurve can. It also feels alive when it's shot. Some may call this "shocky" I wouldn't trade a Hill or any other good designed D style longbow for a closet full of curves. Just my opinion. Many people can shoot curves very well. To each his own. I respect anyones choice of weapon.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
I think Bob Lee bows are way underrated.I`ve owned several and they shot as good or better than some really high price bows.
  As far as Hill bows go. I think they are the best longbow made.Matter of fact...if you got one you don`t like send it to me and I promise to keep it fed.RC

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I've never shot a *bad* bow - I just like some better than others.

NOW, I have shot a *nasty* arrow or two.....

:rolleyes:    

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
longstick, I think what Apex Predator meant was just because a bow doesn't fit you does not mean its overrated- it just doesn't fit.

Overrated means it has a public image to live up to which it doesn't do- that's bashing someone's work, which I don't think is your intention...

not trying to get into semantics but OVERRATED has a meaning very different and "just the truth, no bashing" doesn't quite say what it is.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I've never shot an Abbott longbow, Thunderhorn longbow, or Brackenbury recurve I didn't like. And I have a thing for early 70's Bear Grizzlies too. I have "settled" my collection to one of each.

I was perfectly satisfied until I shot almost every Northern Mist Steve had in his booth at Baltimore last week. Don't know how or when, but I will have one someday. Really nice bows.

There are bows I just don't care for like Hills, metal riser recurves, and BW's (or any takedown with the limbs on the wrong side).  :)  I wouldn't say they're overated, I just don't care for them much.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Ray

I'll agree to my bad choice of words, basically the point here is I'm sure there are bows you own that probably surprised you on how good they are, and the same could be said with the "hype" some others have. So when I say over rated, I mean, the bows that in my opinion over hyped and do not live up to it, compared to others.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Underrated...Belcher Union Jack, Dave Miller Longbow, Liberty "English" ,I'd say Hill bows but amongst us we have enough devotees to know that we shoot the best hunting bow around...hehe
o
Overrated..haven't met a bow yet that i didn't love shooting except this one bow that i shot once ...it had these wheels and cables and it was called.....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Like mentioned before I think some bows/bowyers are not underrated they are just not as well known.  For me my pronghorns are awesome but I also have a Yellostone longbow from Rich Wormington in Wyoming and it's a tremendous bow.  he does an awesome job on everything but not as well known as others bowyers.  if you get a chance google Yellowstone bows and take a look.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
For the prices I've had to pay for mine, I would say there is no such thing as an underrated trad bow.
Most of mine have been bargains IMO.
But not underrated.
I have no idea on the overrated factor.
Some have just not fit me well and I sold them.
I may have lost money on a few over the years but not enough to cause concern in respect to thier worthiness.
Best value? 3 early 60's Red Wing Hunters.
58" 49@28 refinished by Don Ward is no doubt my favorite.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I am new to trad, but I have to say that I am very pleased with my Mohawk Longbow  :archer2:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I take full liberty of shooting every bow possible at any shoot I go to, bunny hunts, etc. IMO the most overrated is the ACS, I am not used to such a delicate fellow. I feel that almost all bows considered quality product from almost any reputable bowyer seem to do as they were intended. They all shoot smooth and with negligible difference in noticeable speed. D bows have a little vib, R/D smoother and a bit shorter, forward handle shorties slower but still stable due to handle design, curves just depend on the shooter and preference...I have my favorites but would shoot any of them if I didn't have a choice and would be glad to do it. I really never met any I wouldn't enjoy shooting.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Underrated, Big River bows they all shoot well just do not see many around and hardly ever see them for sale.

Overrated is hard to say, just becuse a grip does not fit me or I got a weight that is not working does not make the bow overrated.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I didn't read all 6 pages of posts so someone may have already mentioned the Quinn's. I think they are VERY under rated.

I have a 1968 Bear Kodiak Hunter, an original Damon Howatt Hunter, a 1968 Red Wing Hunter and a couple of other "custom" bows but (as I have said in other posts) they have been gathering dust since I got a Quinn Stallion.

It's not that I don't still appreciate the other bows, or shoot them on occasion; the Quinn is just so much more natural in my hand and smooth to my 31 and 1/2 inch draw. It's tough, well made and a bargain even at a new price (bought mine very gently used). It is the only take down that I have but the fit and finish seems to be as fine as any of my buddies' take-downs that were 2 or 3 times the price and mine is quieter to boot.

No fancy or exotic woods to scratch and ding, no inlay to have to baby, no fine finish to protect from the hazards of everyday use. Just a well made tool designed to do its job.

I know I will get lots of raspberries and make people think I'm an idiot when I say it but I just don't get the fanaticism about the Black Widow bows. I have never owned one but have shot quite a few. I borrowed a couple from a buddy for more than a year and shot them regularly. I have shot other guys, 50 to 100 arrows at a time. They shoot fine, so do most other bows. Their aesthetic just doesn’t appeal to me. Some of the longbows look good, but the recurves, not so much (in my opinion).

Under rated, Quinn Stallions; Over rated, Black Widow Recurves

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©