3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever wonder what # bow you are realy shooting?  (Read 520 times)

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever wonder what # bow you are realy shooting?
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
I notice a lot of bows in the classifed are being quoted as a different poundage than the bowyer has marked on the bow?
Could be a different scale being used than the type the bowyer used?
Arother factor is the bow string on the scale hook( which might mean it is pulling down the weight of the bow( say 1 1/2# for a longbow) before you start pulling it to record the #.
Another factor is to put the bow handle on the scale hook ( might mean a truer weight)?
If you know the real # of the bow you shoot best, then you know what # when you buy another? Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever wonder what # bow you are realy shooting?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
No, I just like to shoot.   :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
you lost me at "Could be".
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Nope, maybe, I scale all of mine. If my scale is correct I know, if not, then maybe.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I can tell you that bows do vary considerably in measured weight on my scale from one bowyer to another, and even from one bow to the next with some.  I see a lot of different bows, and weigh them all on the same scale.  Even if my scale is not correct, I would expect to get consistently high or low readings.    

The majority of the bows I weigh actually come in less than they are marked.  Some by a pound or two, others by more.  Occasionally, but less frequently, my scale shows the same or slightly higher than what is marked.  I did have one older Bear recurve that was marked at 45# and my scale read 54#.  More commonly, a bow marked at lets say 55# will weigh in at 52 or 53#.  The inconsistency from one bow to another is suprising.

I did use a bag that was weighed at the local feed store to calibrate my scale.  Maybe my methodology is wrong by a bit, but it does weigh a know amount correctly.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Weights and Measures! I posted this problem awhile back. Folks who are having problems with arrow spine.

If your not sure of the weight that you are "Drawing", how can you be sure of the arrow spine?

Check and be sure, you need the numbers to add up!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I agree with Whip. Just because the bowyer has a certain weight marked on the bow it doesn't mean it is correct. I have a dozen bows and some are right on the money and some aren't. One is marked 60# @28 and actually weighs out at 64#.So without putting a bow on a scale and checking I wouldn't take it as written in stone.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
About a year ago I got a bow in for a reduction and refinish. It was 8# light on my scale. I took a dumbell and put it on my bath scale to check weight, and then checked my bow scale, it was right on. I repeated my checking and re-checking on 4 other scales and all where with in a pound of each other. I have since bought a digital scale and a certified weight. I seldom get a bow in for work that is marked what my scale reads. I have had two Bracks in this past month that weighed as marked. Most others are with in a pound or maybe two. Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Quite a while back I had a recurve that said 70# @ 28" and it was 75# at 28" no matter how I weighed it. At first I thought that I was measuring it wrong.

That's quite a difference but I guess percentage wise, it's not anymore than the others mentioned and in some cases even less.

My draw length with that bow was 31" (=  86#) so I had a bit of a hard time finding arrows back then.I ended up using aluminum 2419s.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I have a guy that certifies local wrestling teams scales check my scales periodically.  I have 2 incase one wears out and goes bad.  Chad

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »
It don't really matter to me as long as the bow is not too heavy.I don't even weigh bows I build.When they feel right,they are close enough.I only weigh a bow if wanting to test it with certain weight arrows and plan on posting about it or selling the bow.Other than that bow weight or arrow weight really just don't matter to me.  :)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
I've had high end stuff,cheap new bows and old Bear bows.I've never had a bow mismarked.Every bow I've ever scaled said what was marked on the bow...Be it at 28" or what it was supposed to be at 28".
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
I"'ve had two well known bows mismarked. One was 3# light and the other was 3# heavy, when you draw over 28" it can make a difference.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
imo, almost all bows are off in their marked drawing weight from their actual drawing weight.  lots of bowyers are still using inaccurate analog spring scales.  there's also the matter of drawn bow arrow length, which should be measured from the inside of the drawn string to the exact front of the riser/arrow shelf.

the real question is the accuracy and quality of the scale.

i've used a variety of quality spring scales over the decades, with ballpark results at best.  over the last few years i started using digital scales, with lots better results.  my latest is the easton digital bow scale, and that's proven extremely accurate when compared to post office digital scales.  

however, in the long run, 'ballpark' bow drawn weights are really good enuf for all of us shooters ... but maybe not bowyers, though.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Since most bowyers now guarantee weights plus or minus "X" pounds maybe it should say that also? I do know that a bow I was waiting on took longer because of new materials and the weight wasn't right so the bowyer explained to me and I waited a little longer. Some bowyers may say, close enough, and ship it, marked at the target weight?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
I ordered one custom at 50#, promised to be +/- 3# of ordered draw.  It came in marked 54#. When questioned, was told if it doesn't work, he would take it down 3#.

Had it measured on 4 different bow scales and consistently drew 57#. Let me tell you...that much difference in weight for someone with shoulder issues anyway (arthritis), YOU KNOW IT!

Sent it back to reduce weight, made a few marks in the finish to tell, front and back of limbs and after 8 weeks, came back untouched and advertised to be 51#. Still was 57#.

That company isn't in business anymore.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Doc, I had the same problem with a bow that was actually 7# over marked weight.  The weight does seem to vary a lot among bows and bow makers.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Doc, I had the same problem with a bow that was actually 7# over marked weight.  The weight does seem to vary a lot among bows and bow makers.
yeah, it's a two fold problem - hitting the expected weight/range, accurately measuring the drawn weight.

imho, at the very least all bowyers need to have and use the best digital scale available.  then the rest is up to their craftsmanship.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Rob,

Just for clarification.  Standard ATA/AMO drawlength and weight is measured at 26.25 inches from the pivot point of the riser.  Not the front edge of the bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Yep, measured from the deepest part of the grip 26 1/4" to the string for weighing one at 28" draw.  This normally is pretty close to 28" to the front of the shelf, but not always.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©