3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Problems with EFOC.  (Read 424 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Problems with EFOC.
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I love to tinker.  But Extreme forwar of center is not something I have figured out.  I've tried it a number of times.  Maybe it is my shooting style, but normally, My arrows do weird things.  I mess around with various sizes of cabon arrows.  It seems that no matter what I do, my arrows show stiff.  Even when I shoot a setup that I KNOW is too weak, my arrows will bareshaft left. (I'm a right handed shooter).  I then procede to go up in spine, and still I get the same results.  Maybe I just don't get it, but I have had pretty good luck with arrows set up the normal way.  I do appreciate the fact that extreme forward of center penetrate better, but until I get it right...I'll just stick with my regular arrow recipies.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Problems with EFOC.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
If a shaft that you think is too weak flies to the left, indicating it's too stiff, why would you go up in spine?  Either need to go down in spine or add point weight.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Jon,

Here is my setup for my 46# Kanati:

ARROW   length   30
shaft+feathers+nock wt      245
separate insert weight?      30
adapter weight?      100
point weight      135
total arrow weight      510
balance length      22.38
   FOC %   24.60

draw wt   46
arrow wt 510   GPP 11.09

These shoot like darts. I am using a Beman ICS Bowhunter 500 shaft.

Hope this helps. These things shoot through everything and hit right where I'm looking. The Kanati is cut to center, which may make a difference if yours is not.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
The best I can tell you, Jon, is to go with what the arrow is telling you, not what you think it should be.  I say that because I've learned it the hard way (read my tag line).

I paper tune with woods rather than bareshafting carbons, but tuning is tuning; just a different road to the same place.  Good Luck!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
If your showing stiff go weaker in spine.  I am shooting 600 spined arrows with 400 grains up front and they spine out perfect at 30 inches of arrow out of a 55lb reflex deflex longbow.  They shoot like bullets, spine out perfect and are close to 30% EFOC.  I spent a bunch of money on heavier spined arrows before I listened to what the arrows were telling me.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
put feathers and a blade on on and see what it does
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
baby its something in your form / release

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
sry i ment maby not baby  :knothead:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I hear ya Jon.....I've been pulling my bloody arrows out of the dirt for 25 years....didn't even know what my FOC was for most of those years.  

I don't know how I've managed to kill anything without all the 'crazes' and 're-inventions' as of late.

Some exact FOC number didn't put that buck in your avatar....YOU DID.  Keep putting stock in yourself, and don't worry about what's being touted as 'the latest greatest'.

Laser arrow flight, sharp heads, and accuracy is where its at Vern....KnowwhatImean?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Right on, Terry. There's no magic in this stuff. If it ain't broke...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
It still drive me nuts.  Out of one bow, I can get carbons with deflections of .600, .500, and .400 to fly perfect with feathers.  I'm talking bare shafts through paper with bullet holes or holes to 1.5 inches.  I suspect I could get an ACC 0.300 to fly at 50 lbs.  Not willing to buy a half doz for 75 bucks to find out.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
jonsimoneau i dit the same thing. i just wanted to play around with some new arrows this summer so i built one with High FOC too. it was hard to figure it out but i did it.

whats your draw length?

hers my set up. [email protected] draw

easton axis FMJ 400 spine
28 in arrow 270 grains up front
100 brass insert 170 BH
 wraps/feather
total grains right at 600

24% FOC

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Sometimes what you know is not the truth.:)Sounds like the shaft you know is weak is not really weak at all.I would try a heavier point on the weak shaft to see what happens.Usually when nothing changes like you going to stiffer spines,means you are going the wrong way in your tuning or thinking. ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
DO what works and the bow tells you. Dead is dead.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
terry.. FWIW Richie is a awesome guy ,he knows his stuff and is a heck of a shot. his arrows are awesome i think 800 plus grains, fly like darts and could probably break a waterbuff sholder!

Richie i found a old recurve of mine when i was about your sons age. ill bring it to the HH if your going..  he can have it. he can fing some arrows with us.

Jonsimon whats your draw length?

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't get the problem some folks have with folks screwing around with different arrow setups.  To each their own...play, enjoy.  Whatever works.  

And the "dead is dead" argument is a red herring.  Many of those same folks swap broadheads and bows like water.  So if your bow made it dead or your broadhead made it dead, why change?  You change because trying new bows and broadheads is fun for you.  Nothing wrong with that either.

There is 25,000 gang'ers.  Different things will trip different triggers...it is all good.

And back to Jon, what Orion asked is a good question...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
You're missing my point. Dead is dead is saying don't get to caught up in what you read and go by what you see/experience. I like messing with the stuff, but I also don't tell a bow what it is going to shoot, I go by what flies best. The object in the end is to make meat for most of us, the rest is a way to fill the time between seasons.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I am assuming that Dr Ashby's study on EFOC has stimulated your desire to obtain ultra FOC.

Please note that Dr. Ashby places arow flight ahead of extreme FOC in his list of penetration
enhancing factors which he has listed in order of importance. Whatever arrow design you choose, you would do well to consider structual integrity and arrow flight before EFOC. Don't wait until an unexpected shot opporuntiy on a trophy at <5yards provides this instruction.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Jon,
I shoot a Morrison Cheyenne and Shawnee @ 46#.  Your riser may have different center shot, but I would think a Axis or Beman 400, full length, with 100 grain inserts would be something you could tune. You may still need 200-250 grains of point weight, but it will out penetrate anything you've ever seen!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Most of my bows are 50# and under at my 30" draw length. I've had very good luck tuning and shooting carbons in the 450 grain range with 125 grain heads, 9 to 10 grains per pound depending on the bow. Got caught up in the high FOC thing and tried to bump up my arrow weight by adding heavy inserts, adapters and points. Just couldn't get them to tune well. Finally came to the realization that if I want a heavy arrow I shoot aluminums, and if I want more speed I can kill anything in North America with my 9 to 10 grain per pound setup with carbons. At that point I quit worrying about it and just shoot what works for me.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©