3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting ?  (Read 324 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting ?
« on: May 22, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Ok guys since I am moving to GA and will be able to hunt hogs.I would like to know whats the skinny and whats the attraction.Is it like deer hunting?
  I have never seen one in the wild.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
They can be addicting.  We have plenty of them here in Oklahoma.  They are very prolific, and I don't have any problems w/ baiting them.  The darn things tend to stay pregnant, and they can really take over a place fast.  They have moved deer out of a lot of areas.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p105/carparcher/Picture002.jpg[/IMG]

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I have a lifetime hunting license in Oklahoma and have been wanting to make a trip back for some time.  I am planning a trip this fall.  Would like to hunt hogs as well as deer.  Do you have any recommendations on where to go? I was thinking the WMA's in the SE Quachita area.  I lived in Stillwater for 5 years and there were not any hogs in that area then.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
2 am is hog time  :biglaugh:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Mostly in Georgia it means, year round bowhunting!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I got where I rather hunt hogs than deer.  Complete year round hunting!!  That's all day, every day. All night too!  <-----<<< and that's the attraction for me.  Plus they ain't bad eatin' either

As of late this guy     has become my arch enemy.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Hog hunting - from my experience..

1) Hogs don't stand still.  Period.  Ever.

2) Hogs can smell you out just as well, if not better, than deer.

3) Hogs require a better shot, both lungs and or heart is the kill shot.  One lung or gut shot.. good luck.  Kill zone is a bit smaller too.  See the photos Terri Green has as a sticky.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=084174  

4) When you connect, the squeel and ensuing choas is a 100% adrenaline rush, very addictive.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I lived in Seminole for six years and we trapped hogs until we got tired of messin' w/ them.  If you don't have a lot of time and just want to shoot one, I suggest looking into a hog hunting ranch.  There are plenty of them and the prices are reasonable.  One "free roam" land they are VERY nomatic.  There one day, gone for the next 10.  Running traps, we'd be feast or famon constantly.  The further south and east you go, the more of them there are in the Sooner state.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks carparcher.  That's kind of what I was thinking and why I was looking into the very southeast corner.  I just want the chance of possibly seeing/shooting a hog while deer hunting.  
GO POKES!!

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I've had way more fun hunting hogs than deer. I have a hard time staying put so most of the time I'm only seeing the deer as they run off never to be seen again. With hogs, if you can spot them first, you can actually stalk them for quite a while and get REALLY close before they bust you. Sometimes even get multiple shots before they dissappear completely. Hogs are perfect for bowhunting!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Shiloh Ranch in Ada OK is a very good operation, with good water, feed and lots of wild cover... Matt & Cheryl Napper run it and it's a quality operation.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
If your moving to Ga. it`ll take you a couple of short hunts to learn honey holes then you`ll be in pigs regular.WE have a lot of WMA`s that have pigs and I don`t mean a few pigs. It has its ups and downs but when things are good you`ll get on hogs every time you go out once you figure them out..RC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
i love spot 'n' stalk hog hunting - it's a one-on-one challenging game and the pigs usually have the upper hand (at least with me).  plus, i love eating pork way better than venison.

plenty of great year 'round hog huntin' in georgia!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Another Tradganger and I are going to give Ray Hammond's a try. It sounds like a blast at Ray's and it seems very reasonable.

Hmm hmm good, the other other white meat!  

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Ive always wanted to try hog hunting but never have got around to do it yet.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
what part of Ga are you moving to?

we got lot's of hogs pests they are but fun to hunt,i am agreed that they are very smart and have excellent noses!

they learn fast about traps,i kill about 5 to 10 a year with archery tackle mainly but will not pass up and opportunity to throw some lead at them too lol
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Ralph,I am looking west of Atlanta and north.I will be moving in December
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm out to try and catch the hog fever. Looking for 5 more guys to head to Ray Hammond's hog heaven July 4th weekend.

Anyone interested? All I hear it how awesome of a place it is from the guys in our local Trad club.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
hog hunting is a bitter sweet pass time.  there is a good population of hogs in my area, but most are on private land.  i've heard dozens of farmers/landowners complain about the damage hogs are doing, but when you offer to help thin down the herd they look at you like how dare you ask to come onto my land.  so i wouldn't waste time looking for private land to hunt because, as i've said, they like to complain about the damage but guard the hogs like misers.  i'd concentrate on wma lands.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice...
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©