3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horse/lama/donkey elk meat pack out?  (Read 289 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Horse/lama/donkey elk meat pack out?
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but how do I find out who would pack out an elk in an area? I've googled outfittters and tried "meat packing" and "horse packing" but have not gotten much back. I am looking for a basic service that would come pack out an elk  upon my call. I  am on a budget that is reality driven, rather than just being cheap, if that matters.

Point me in the right direction and I can do the rest of the work myself

Thanks

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horse/lama/donkey elk meat pack out?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
One great contact for a packer, although difficult to contact, is the local cowboys who may be running cattle in the area.  They have horses, trailers, and often are more than happy to make a little extra cash on the side.  But like I said, it is hard to find them.

Call sport shops in the area - they might have some local knowledge they could share.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Yep--a sporting goods store in the area or closest town would be a good place to start.

If given a choice, I'd choose a mule for the pack animal.  Can carry more and go further than a horse, doesn't spook as easily, doesn't get hurt or sick as easily.  What some people call "stubborn" is actually intelligence--a mule will take care of itself, i.e. if you overweight it, it simply won't go.  It won't hurt itself trying like horses generally will.

No idea on llamas and such.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Joshua,

Have you considered packing it out on your own back?  Unless you are physically unable to do so, it is a real doable job.  I know, elk are a huge animal when laying at your feet but break them down into boned quarters and the chunks are manageable.  I'm fortunate to be able to hunt with a group of 5-8 guys depending on the year so one elk is usually one pack for each guy and it's all done.  Either that or you make several trips.  Not easy but definately inexpensive.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out the local shops and maybe some of the clubs around too.
 Of course I have considered packing it myself and will, if I have to. 6 +miles one way in steep country is no cakewalk for anyone making 4 or five trips one way with 80lbs. And thats after the hunting miles. I'm just looking at all my options.
 Having 5-8 guys to help just is not the same thing. I've been there alone and it is more than 5 or 8 times more difficult. No one to joke with...

J-

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
What part of the country are you looking for some one in?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
IMO,5 miles is too far for one person to pack out an elk.  Can be done, but will near kill you and you may lose some of the meat.  In addition to checking with local sporting goods stores, check with local meat processors.  Might even check with the local police.  They generally know who's doing what in their areas.  Good luck.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Game officer should be of some help. That is really one of the first questions to figure out before you get lucky.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Here in wyoming I know alot of outfitters who have no problem doing drop camps or packing out meat as long as its in there general area.  A good friend of mine will bring a camp in and take it out including elk you just have to give him the dates and times. Once you find out which outfitter(s) operates in your hunt area give them a call.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
IMO,5 miles is too far for one person to pack out an elk.  Can be done, but will near kill you ..
Scouting and hunting some of this area and at those distances  is what has me considering a plan "B" if I dart one that deep.

Good info so far- thanks.

Joshua

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Definately check with hunting and camping outfits, lots of them do drop camps as mentioned. Also look into dude ranches and local cattle ranches.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
We rented 2 llamas in '08. Didn't make a kill. they carried our food and camp gear in , about 70 lbs each. They can carry a little more for short distances. They were no trouble in camp, just stake them out and water them daily.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
In 2008, I lined a packer up for the early archery elk season in CO.  I just pounded the phones asking every ranch that offered any horse services and all surrounding outfitters.

I ended up finding one but I wasn't real comfortable with the arrangement.  I was to call them once I had one quartered and hung and they would come ASAP.  ASAP might have been quite some time...they didn't seem real excited about it.  

It was also going to end up costing $400+ to get one out.  They had a per mile charge to and from the trailhead from their ranch and then a per hour charge once they were on their horses.  

So even if you find one that seems reliable, you might want to expect to get the animal out on your own.  If the packer comes through for you, thats a bonus!

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Most of the Elk I have taken in September needed to be packed out ASAP due to heat.I would call a local outfitter and have everything set up before you get into the woods,lost time can mean lost meat due to spoilage.
Be prepared to bone out/bag/hang all the meat BEFORE your pack team shows up.I would also bring a pack frame just in case.I will not hunt more than 2miles in if my horse friends are not available to help me and the temps are high.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by IdahoCurt:
...I would call a local outfitter and have everything set up before you get into the woods,...
Thats the idea.

I also have a frame and don't plan on sitting on my thumbs while they are coming. I use citrus treated game bags,  para cord for hanging and the other usual stuff. If I get lucky I will arrow an elk on one of those rare cold days we can get early. Had one first wk. last year and the temps were in the 40's-50's.

I hadn't planned on it but may look into renting too. Might as well cover all the bases. In the end I can always amend my territory. Still lots of scouting to do. Every good spot is not necessarily the deepest part of the country. Last year I had a nice 6x only 2 miles in. Never did get inside 45yds on the guy though...

J-

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Knock on the nearest ranchers door before you start hunting.  If they are not busy they may very well do it or know of someone who will.

Its also a great lead-in to local information and possibly a good spot to hunt.

Expect to pay $250-$400 depending...

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I would do everything in my power not to bring(rent/borrow) other peoples livestock with you.
Every animal has its own personality and you don't want to have something happen when you're on a little trail in the mountains where one mistake could be disastrous(seen that).The best thing I have figured out in 20yrs of Elk hunting is to pack in your own stuff,hunt hard,down something and then bring in the livestock.Horses are worse than little kids and require constant attention which means less hunting.I absolutely love them when they're carrying my elk BUT want nothing to do with them the rest of the time.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Another source of info would be the local feed store. Most feed stores have a good relationship with their clients and may be helpful in suggesting someone that can help. Also, they have post-it boards where people advertise services like that.

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
How do most of you contact the packer after you have the elk hung? Sat. Phone, Cell phone, walk-out? I've used one of those Spot Trackers before and you can send an email out with your GPS Location. I'm sure this could at least get things started for you.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I would:
1.pre arrange the dates you will be in the woods.
2.when you arrive,meet person and confirm details,discuss contact scenario
3.hunt hard,get elk on ground,Quarter,de-bone,bag,hang,whatever to properly care for meat.
4.mark with gps,map and walk out to get packer.
5.walk in with packer,enjoy experience

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©