3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
This is just a reminder that I am still planning on doing this.  Near as I can tell there are 12-14 people committed to coming at this time.

Creole has said he would provide an osage stave for anyone who wants one free of charge.  People will have to be responsible for bringing a bench to work on if they are making self bows.  A bench with a vice mounted on it would be great.  Some people may be able to bring an extra stave horse if they have one.  

We are having some problems with our computer and were bringing it in to have it looked at on Monday.  This is the 3rd time we have had it in and it usually takes a couple weeks.  My phone number is 320 360 4479 if you need to get a hold of me.  

For more information do a search for "MN bowbuilding".  Chad

Pretty sure we will be able to make a few nice bows:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Shop:

Camping area(my yard):

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Those bows look awesome! I plan on being there with by bandsaw and hopefully a Heatbox if I can get one built up. May have to borrow one of your forms to build a bow though?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Glass bowyers:
If people need to order laminations we can have Doug Whitcher (Turkey Creek Longbows) grind them and send them to my place all at once.  I've worked with him a lot and his stuff is the best.  People would have to get their own fiberglass and riser materials.  Does someone want to order the smooth on and we can all pitch in?  Chad

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
Nice bows Chad.

Jason

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Pretty quiet on this thread? Just spoke to Chad on the phone this eveneing and looks like this should shape up to be a lot of fun.
Looking forward to learning how to make a lam bow and maybe even a selfbow.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Sounds like great time. Those bows are awesome Holm-Made.Nice piece of property too.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Hey Chad,  How ya doing? Looks to be a great time and beautiful work! And of course, the landscape...but then were talking about Minnesota.....    :)    

One of these days if we're in the area or at a shoot, Frank and I will have to make a trip on over and say hello to you and yours.

Still want to get one of those works of art from you for my collection. Were you still interested in the buckskin vest that we spoke about while making the auction project?

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
BTW,  That second bow from the right is gorgeous, my favorite, I love that wood and color combo, exactly how you did that....simply stunning!
  :thumbsup:

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Greg,  Would love to meet you too, Frank says we may get to the Coon Rapids shoot this year with Kevin and Sue depending on the work schedule. Will you be there?

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Chad, I can sure order some Smooth On, need to order some glass anyhow how much should I get?  If everyones having lams made I might not have to bring the grinder then.  For your one pieces, do you splice the lams and leave the glass long? I'd like to make a fixture to clamp onto your bandsaw to make footed risers if that would be possible. Too many things to type here, I think I'll give you a ring.

-Mike

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Mike, just thought I'd let you know that Chad mentioned he was bringing his computer in for repairs today and may not have access to the Internet for a couple weeks.
I spoke with Chad Saturday evening and he uses full 72" length lams in his limbs. He did not think there would be enough time to put together a arched riser? Maybe if you do it in advance?
Best to give him a ring I guess.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
I can bring a fixture to make footed risers. In fact chad an I exchanged emails about this a month ago or so.
It has the radius that I use for my take down recurves but it would probably work for any bow and I suppose the radius could change depending upon how far you clamp it from the blade.

If anyone is interested I can bring forms, riser templates, and everything else needed to make a take down.
I'll also bring some Fuller plast an air brush and a air brush compressor for anyone who would like to try it.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Hey guys
Chad called yeasterday. His computer is still in the shop.  He can view Tradgang at work but can't reply.
He asked that I post this repy asking Mike to go ahead and order some smooth on and that he has a sourse for laminations.  I think that he meant that he could make a group order for long laminations once his machine is up and running again, but to tell you the trouth I was in the middle of the 10th fairway at the golf course so our conversation was pretty short.
Anyway, anyone thinking about making a laminated bow that would require 72" laminations should be thinking about what they would need. It sounds like the guy that Chad has grind those for him makes a double tappered 72" lam.
He also mentioned that anyone who is thinking about a bow that has a glued up riser, might want to consider gluing it up ahead of time to make sure that you have enough time to complete the bow on the weekend.

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
I spoke to Chad today and he asked my to weigh in here concerning laminations.  I have been making lams for Chad for some time now and am available to provide laminations for this event for any of you that are planning a glass bow.  I use either natural or carbonized actionboo and make the tapers full-length.  I have some veneer materials available as well.  I can combine shipping for everyone and ship everything directly to Chad so postage is minimal.  Please don't wait til the last minute as I am preparing for a large local 3D shoot June 2.

Email me for info.  I will need to know the number of lams and total thickness you want for your bow.

Sounds like you fellas are going to have a great time.
Doug

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
We got our computer back tonight.  Does anybody have a canopy they can bring in case of rain?  How about a sheet of plywood and a couple saw horses for extra work surfaces.  

Lastly, If anybody can bring another belt sander that would be helpful too.  Chad

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
How about directions from Sioux City Iowa?

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Chad, PM'd ya.

-Mike

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm putting an order into Binghams tomorrow (Fri) if anyone needs glass I'm getting some .05 x 1.5 x 72 clear, that is 1.5 isn't it Chad? If anyone needs limb locking hardware to make a TD that needs to be purchased too.

-Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©