3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
That's right Mike 1.5.  Order me a set of hardware for a TD.  I'd like to play too.

PICKINGRIN try  www.mapquest.com   I live in Brainerd, MN

Chad

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Computer is going back to the shop on Monday.  Call me with questions.  320 360 4479

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Still hoping to make it up for at least one day. I can be the 'gopher' and official "here hold this" guy for Saturday maybe    ;)

Anyone making it to the Rochester shoot this weekend ?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
That's this weekend, awwww... those guys put on a heck of a shoot, wish I could go..

Put in my order for Binghams, hopefully a 2 quart unit does the job for all of us...and ordered an extra set of 72" clear glass in case anyone needs it.

-Mike

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I need some help

I am deffinately going to try my hand at one of Chad's longbows and have worked with chad and Doug to order what I need to make one.
I'd also like to do some work on self bow.
I've never done that and don't have a clue what type of tools I should bring.  
I may not have everything I need, but would bring what I could.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
From what I understand of Self bow making all you really need is a drawknife, a cabinet scraper, and some sandpaper. I'll have all three and you are welcome to borrow them if needed. I'm hoping to build my first selfbow as well, but would at least like to see it done if nothing else.
First dibs on Chad's longbow form;)

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
ttt
Doug

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
TTT

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Chad,

Hope the shoot was fun, sorry was crappie and wally fishing with my old man and brothers over the weekend, on top of working the cattle.

Just wanted to say thanks for the offer to come up and build before this big hoorah with the boys.  Sure wish I could have stayed longer, I bet it's going to be hoot!  You bet I'll be lurking when the photo's and storys arrive.

Maybe next spring,(I'm still giving thought to suprising my old man with a rooster hunt in the dakotas this fall, might have to stay an extra week  :D ).

Dan
Ak

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
I'm back on line again.  Hopefully the computer keeps running.  I only have so much work space availiable.  I expect about 12 people.  When I attended MOJAM people brought benches with a vice bolted on.  This gave them a work space.  They could sit on the bench secure the stave in the vice and work a portion of the stave over their lap.  This would be a good idea.  

It would be helpful if a couple people could bring a pair of saw horses and a piece of plywood for a work area.

Hopefully it won't rain.  I looked into renting a canopy and it would be about 200+ dollars for the weekend.  Chad

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Chad
I can bring a couple saw horses. I might even have a little plywood too.
What else would come in handy?
If I bring my gas guzzeling pickup I'll have lots of room.
I remember in an earlier string of posts many people were indicating what they could bring along, but I don't remember what they were.
It sounds like everyone that wants to make a laminated bow should be set for glass and laminations and if I remember right there should be staves for making self bows.
How are you set for bow ovens?  Mine is pretty big, but again if I drive my pickup, I could bring it with.

I guess from me you can count on.
A couple saw horses and plywood for a work bench.
Everything anyone would need to make a take down recurve except the glass, laminations and handle wood.
I have a freestanding drum sander that I made for shaping handles that can be set up outside or anywhere and tilted in any angle. I'll bring some drum sanders and sanding sleeves of various sizes and grits. I'll bring some flap wheels for finish sanding.
I'll bring some Fuller Plast along with an airbrush and airbrush compressor for finishing, although I'm not sure many will get that far on thier bows.

I'd like to tell you that I would bring another 6" belt sander, but I've been having bearing issues and I'm not sure I'll have it all working by then, so I've been waiting to see if someone else was able to bring one.

Not sure what else I could bring to help the group out.
As I said before I've never made a self bow and would like to give it a try so I'll bring some type of work table to use when trying that.

If I remember right someone was going to bring a lamination grinder.  I'd sure like to see how that is done.

Let me know what else I can do.

Brad

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I forgot

Most of you probably make your own strings already, but if anyone is interested, I could bring my jig and string streacher.  I also have a couple cases of B-50 dacron in a few different collors.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
I have another heat box and sander coming.  Could always use a couple more extention cords.  We could use some scraps to make riser overlays out of.  I just got a performax thickness sander today.  I have 3-4 drawknives around.  Chad

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Can someone bring a tillering tree for selfbows?  I also do not have enough clamps for everyone.  Can someone bring clamps?  Chad

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Directions:
Go about 8 miles south of Brainerd or about 5 miles north of Fort Ripley on HWY 371.  Look for Lennox Road.  It is a big Green sign.  

If your coming from the north Lennox is 2 miles south of the big, new visitors center.

Go west for 1 mile on Lennox.  Take a right on the first dirt road.  We are the first place on the left.  I will have signs out.  320 360 4479 if you get lost.  Chad

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I'll bring:
-Lam Grinder and sleds for .002 and parallel

-Form, TD hybrid

-Oven, short 48" for TD's

-Fixtures for drilling riser and limbs

-Fadeout grind jig

-Templates for riser and limbs

-Robo sanders and 60-80 grit sleeves

-Some fiberglass and phenolic for tips and overlay

-Elk Horn

-Bamboo, red elm, honey locust
limb core material

-I'm probably not bringing my big sander but may bring my dust collector if it fits in truck.

-I'll bring a dozen or so clamps, some are only 3" tho

-Extra clear glass for 1 bow, 72" clear

-2 quart unit Smooth On

-Extra limb hardware

-Extra face masks, goggles, rubber gloves, respirator

Probably other things as I remember them..

-Mike

Offline Passin Through

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Chad, do you need me to bring anything over? I could bring extension cords and sawhorses/plywood if you need it.  How about a gas grill? Shane

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey guys
I talked to Chad last. He said he computer is down again and asked me to post a reminder to all of you that are coming to bring a working bow along.  It sounds like Brainerd is having a 3D shoot that weekend and we may want to slip away for a bit to take it in.

Brad

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
I'm afraid I don't have much to offer for supplies and tools, but am trying to line up a large worktable to work on. I just got a Quart of Smooth-on as well.
May pick up a sander at the end of the week depending on truck repair and eye Dr. cost:(

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©