3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10  (Read 1715 times)

Offline ifalls_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MN bow building weekend, June 8,9,10
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Hey Chad,

I got your phone message but couldn't understand your phone number.  I won't be able to make it, Dad got lung cancer and has surgery next week.  I'll be thinking about you guys though.  I would rather be there.

Hope all goes well and you guys have a great time.

Brent

Hope to see you at Coon Rapids  we have site 44 stop by.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
Greg -I have a few sanders ... you can take your pick to bring along.  Vibrating pad, random orbit, or heavy duty belt.

...and you can borrow back your crester anytime you want   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
May take you up on the sander. I appreciate the offer of letting me borrow my crester back.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Chad

It's getting close.  Is there anything else we should be thinking of??

Any other supplies or equipment needed?

Meal plans? I'm thinking that we just take a break every now and then and go out for a bite.

Who all is coming for sure?

Brad

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
I've got Fri off work and am definately coming.

Going out for a bite once in a while sounds like a good plan instead of dealing with a bunch of meals.  Might bring some kind of meat to grill too, and some beans, etc, easy stuff.

How many are camping?  To save fuel costs I may just stay in my topper instead of pulling my big popup.

The weather sounds like its going to be nice, mid to high 70,s during the day, mid to high 50's at night. Wondering if a guy can get a shower nearby?

Chad, got the template for the 15" version of my riser done and adjusted the drill fixture. My limb formula calls for .040 glass, I'm sure you only have .050, so we may have to adjust the lams somewhat, anybody know what the poundage difference might be? If you want to try for a 60" bow, I have a formula for that too. I'll wait to rip and grind them until I get there, which should be 11-12 Fri morn.

I'm rounding up some extension cords too. Also bringing my string stuff with D97 material, I'll have to relearn how to do it

-Mike

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
As far as I know Chad's computer is still down so he is unable to respond to e-mails.
I'll be there Friday in the Early afternoon. Was hoping to borrow a smaller tent to set up at Chad's, but will have to use my 17" by 10" monster tent so I'll have some extra space for sleeping or storing of items if needed.
There are a couple campgrounds not too far away , I've been meaning to call the Crow River Campground and check on shower facilities, will try to remember tomorrow.
Was just thinking of heading out somewhere for eats also, rather than make a mess and have to clean up.
Don't forget to bring a funcational bow as well as there is a 3D shoot in Brainerd if anyone wants to break away and do some shooting.
I think Chad mentions extra sanders and workbenches were needed most?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm on line again. Finally got the computer back.  Were trying to get some problems fixed before the warrenty runs out.

About food:  I am going to purchase stuff to make my special breakfast burritos Sat and Sun morning about 10:00.  These are filling.

This leaves a Friday and Sat. night supper to worry about.  I will marinate venison chops for the grill Friday night.  I will do up enough for everyone.  

I think it will be easiest to send someone to the grocery store Friday afternoon with money and a grocery list for the evening meals.  Snacks are up to you.  I have one coffee pot here.

No showers availiable at the local campgrounds, I checked.  Bring a towel you can shower at my place if you are camping here.  I also have a portable toilet coming.

We will have 8 people camping over night and about 4-6 commuting.

p.s. again, if your doing a self bow you need to bring a vice and work surface.  I suggest bringing a 2 by 12 that we can make into a sturdy bench.  You can mount your vice to the bench and sit and work.

Chad
320 360 4479

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Don't tell me you don't want the venison chops either.  This bow building weekend was my excuse for taking a 3rd doe late season.  

Feeding the local hungry bowyers program.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Glad to see your on-line again. Hope it stays that way. I did call the Crow Wing State Park campgrounds today and they will let you use the showers if you buy a camping pass. Cost for camping is $18. If several people want to split the cost of a campsite and pile into a vehicle they can shower. Don'r need to camp at the park if you don't want.
I'll throw in my Solar Shower as well, just need to heat some water and wash up. Would need to get a tarp to block the wind and any gawkers that may happen by.
Breakfast burritos, you better get 2 portable potties  :scared:

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Forgot to add, I'll be bringing a couple extra block of wood for risers if anyone is interested. On big hunk of Curly Maple and a heavy block of Bloodwood.
I also have a riser block of Rosewood Dymondwood with a Bocote stripe in it that I may not use if I find the wood I want at the local wood supplier tomorrow. Chad should have that block by now?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I have your stuff from Doug.  One of your Anegre vaneers got damaged by me when I was unwraping it.  I'll replace it for you.  

I'm doing a seminar on applying snow camo (athletic tape) to the back of a longbow for late season hunting.  It's a highly technical art form.  Chad

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Oh, that's too bad. No hurry to replace as I had not intended on using that set of vaneers this weekend anyway. How does that riser look?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Risers fine, kinda flashy with that rosewood dymondwood.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Chad, hope the weather is treating you well up there. Just heard the weather report and it sounds like you are getting hit pretty hard up in that area.
I picked up a big piece of figured Wenge today for a riser, before I read that it is a monster to work with and finish;( We'll see how it goes? I'll bring along 3 extra folding chairs in case anyone needs something to set thier behinds on.
Cell phone has been acting up again lately since the washing machine/dryer incident so if you would happen to have to contact me it is hit and miss right now.

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Greg, you can seal the wenge with Devcon 5-min epoxy and sand before finishing to close the pores.  I usually use CA glue on most porous woods but it doesn't work very well with wenge.
Doug

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
hope you Guys have a GREAT Bow - Building weekend  :thumbsup:

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Doug. Gonna see what that block you glued up for me looks like first. Dymondwood is pretty hit and miss with me, some looks great, others not so good.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Have a great weekend building bows guys.  It would be fun to hit it next year if you guys have it, although it seems every weekend of the summer is layed out for me before school gets out in the spring.

Jason

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Any updates on how things went.  The weather was great in southern Mn. Hope it was good up north and lots of bows came to life.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Check out this thread Scooter. Chad started a new thread a couple hours ago. I'll post some more pics to it as soon as my slow Internet service is done uploading them.
Great time was had by all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©