3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with New Binoculars!  (Read 844 times)

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with New Binoculars!
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
I am in the market for some new bino's for hunting whitetails and am leaning toward a pair of Swarovski. I would like some input on other brands. Are there any others that are just as good for the money or are the Swarovski the best?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with New Binoculars!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
It would be hard to be disappointed with any of the top binoculars out there... Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica (my favorite)are all great glasses.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Your close as it gets to the top of the heap with them, couple other score right with them but not many.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Steiner makes a hell of a pair, and not as exspensive.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
I love my Leica's, can't imagine going into the woods without them.  However, I don't think you can say anything negative about Swarvo's either.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
They are among the leaders in quality optics but will cost you some change. I am curious about the new ones Cabelas offers. I think they are designed and made by someone in Europe. Any body know how good they are? May not have been out long enough for many to have tried them.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
I just got a pair of Steiners and am very happy .... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Go read the reviews section. I did a review on my new ones.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
The Cabelas are made by Meopta. very nice glass. Just as good as Zeiss and Swarovski. Yes, I have owned and hunted with all of them.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
I had a pair of Steiner Military 8x30s that I really liked, great glass for the money. Now I use a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30s, they are better in low light and I like the feel of roof prisms over the porro prisms.

Sean

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I love my 8x30 Zeiss conquest glasses, best I've looked thru by far.

BD

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
Steiner makes a great set of binos.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrow Slinga:
I am in the market for some new bino's for hunting whitetails and am leaning toward a pair of Swarovski. I would like some input on other brands. Are there any others that are just as good for the money or are the Swarovski the best?
I assume your hunting fairly thick woodland.  If you got the money go for the Swaro's or Leica's.  That being said you don't really need super high end glass or for that matter anything stronger than 7 power for woodland whitetail hunting.  I was in the same boat and decided on Swift 7x36 Eaglets.  About half the cost of the high end German glass, same quality construction and except for the extreme edges I see no real difference in quality or low light glassing.

Check out this website, very informative.  Give them a call also they will set you up without going overboard for your use.

www.eagleoptics.com
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Minox,
Very impressive glass for the $.I'm a diehard Zeiss man and the Minox has got my attention.The Zeiss FL's are unbeleivable is your wallet can take the hit.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
The SLC Swarovski 8x30 would be a perfect choice. I had a pair and traded them in on the EL 10x42s. In some ways, I liked the 8x30s better.

I also had a pair of the top of the line Steiner Predators in 8x42. They were O.K., but not in the same class as the Swarovskis. I read someplace over the net that Steiner is the "tasco" of Germany.

If you don't mind the out of focus in the edge of field, most any bino will do. But if you want an in focus view all the way across the field, you need to spend some buck.
N/A

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
I have been using a pair of 10x42 Leica's for about 4 years.  Very happy with them.
Mel Riley

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Look at the Kahles 10x42, small compact, light and available in camo I got mine for around 700.00 , they have the same glass as the Swaros and I believe are owned by Swaro but at a fraction of the cost...
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
I never have looked through a pair of Swaro's or Leica's as they have always been out of my price range and I didn't want to deal with the temptation. However, Last Fall I purchased a pair of Leopold Katmai binocs after comparing them to others in the $500 price range, and they are the best I have ever looked through. I have a pair of 8X36 and they are very compact, very bright, very clear, and fairly light weight. Just perfect for whitetail hunting. And they have a pair of 6X36 that would be even lighter if you didn't want that high of power.

To top it all off, I payed less than half of that $500 for a display model that I found online. That's just my 2cents, but if you can afford top of the line then go for one of them.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline richbear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
MikeC's got the right idea, got to  www.eagleoptics.com  for the best deal. I've had Leica's, Swarovski's and other top brands but make sure you check out the new Vortex they're half as much money and have a lifetime warranty and the optics are every bit as good as my Swarovski's. JMO
I ain't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little brother!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I bit the bullet a while back and bought a pair of Leica 8 x 32.  I absolutely love them.  There is not one single thing I would change about them.  They are perfect for whitetail hunting.  Small and compact enough that I never go in the woods without them.  You have to think of binoculars as as a lifetime investment.  Buy a good pair from a reputable company like leica, zeiss, or Swaro, and hopefully you will never have to buy another pair again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©