3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Adcock just exploded....  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My Adcock just exploded....
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I can't believe this.  Let me preface this by saying that I'm very conscience of the condition of my bow and equipment.  I always go through a "pre-flight" routine.  I feel the limbs, inspect the tips, and inspect the string every single time I pick it up to shoot. I don't drop my bow. I'm careful to not let the limbs hit anything. I leave the bow strung, unless I'm traveling.  I don't leave it in hot vehicles and keep it stored on a horizontal bow rack.

The bow specs are OL Adcock non-acs takedown, 68", 8" brace height, 14 strand FF, beaver silencers, double brass nock set, 63# at my 31" draw, new 635 grain arrows with new nocks (correctly fitted to the string).

Now to the point.  I was shooting a few arrows like I do every morning. Everything was going well. I was hitting my target, the bow was quiet. On about my 7th or 8th shot, something happened.  I thought I had dryfired.  Then I noticed the string was off the top limb.  I then looked at the bottom limb.  It was destroyed.     :banghead:  The pics will show what happened.

I really don't know what to do now.  This was my favorite bow.  In fact, it's my main bow.  I don't even have arrows for my other one.  My wife got it for me for my 40th birthday, and although it was used, it was a perfect fit for me. We spent more on it than we should have, but I figured I'd rather have one really nice bow than a couple of mediocre ones.  I planned on using it exclusively for the next few years and get really good with it. I was going to go shoot in my first 3d tomorrow. That's out now.

I guess I could have someone make up some limbs for it.  I don't think OL Adcock makes these anymore or even makes anything these days.  I really couldn't afford new ones right now anyway.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Adcock just exploded....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Ouch!  :eek:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Oh man I'd be sick sick sick.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
You ought to check with John Havard and see if his A&H limbs will fit your riser.

Good luck
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Holy Smokes, I'm glad you did not get hurt.

Man, I never look at my bow, I just expect it is good to go.

Good luck finding something new.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Looks like the glue line gave out. Sorry for your loss.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I'm sorry 1st of all and I'm really glad you didn't mention that you got hurt. Thank God!

I'd guess by looking at the pictures that it had a glue failure. Why? I don't have a clue but I had it happen on one of my favorite bows once and like your situation my bowyer had moved on to building really fancy engraved muzzleloaders.

I truly am saddened for your situation and I hope you can get something worked out that you can afford plus puts you back to where you felt you were with your shooting before this happened.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Glad you diodn't get hurt!!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Its sad life gets like that,as long as you didn't get hurt.If you need a loner or bow to shoot Pm me .All the best.Steve
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Yea, I didn't get hurt.

Thanks for the offer, Steve.  I do have a Hill Halfbreed that I'll start shooting.  I'll pick up some arrows for it at the Hickory Shoot tomorrow.  I'm nowhere near as good a shot with it as I was with the Adcock. Of course, I shot the Adcock every day.

I just hate to see such a beautiful bow broken like that. At least the riser is still fine, as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, John's ACS limbs won't fit this riser.  I'm going to see if OL could make some new ones. If he can't or won't, does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Gah!  It looks like the phenolic gave way and let the string dig right down through the bow limb.

Dang looper.  Wish I could help, but me trying to replace Adcock limbs would be like trying to make you a shovel out of a cucumber.  I hope you find some help for your old friend there.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I think you're right, Jeff. I'm hoping Mr. Adcock will come out of retirement and revive this beauty.  I'll post some pics of the riser, later.  It's too pretty to use as a paper weight.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
That is seriously ugly bud! Sorry to see that, but glad you didn't get hurt!! I am sure that you will be able to find something for her, just post a wanted over in the Trad Bow classifieds and I am sure someone will have something... whether it is priced right for you might be another question though.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Man thats terrible, that sucks especially when you look after your equipment so well.

My only suggestion would be to email a bunch of custom bowyers and see if any are prepared to adapt their limbs to your riser. Alternatively maybe post a request on the Bowyers Bench Forum and see if any budding bowyers might make a set of limbs for your riser.

Hope it works out for you!

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Man I hate to see that, at least you were not hurt.  :(
bolong

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Looks like it may have started on the shoulders of the string grooves.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I would still contact John Harvard. I would bet if you sent him the riser he could make some limbs for it. O.L. is dealing with a very sick mother and is not making any bows and has not for a very long time. Since it is a non ACS I would also bet that the bow hospital could make you a set of limbs if you sent them the riser, Contact Whip. Just a couple of suggestions. Most any good bowyer could probably make you a set of limbs if they had the riser. Just a matter of if they want to tackle they job.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Major bummer man! Hope you are able to get some replacement limbs.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Sent you a pm

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Incoming pm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement