3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Adcock just exploded....  (Read 1725 times)

Offline ranger42

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Adcock just exploded....
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Oh Man! I hate to see that happen. Hopefully, someone will help you out with some new limbs. Good Luck!

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
sorry for your loss
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
One problem your going to run into is the pre ACS bows were all hand made and hand fit.  So replacement limbs are going to have to be hand made and fit to the riser.

It's not that hard but still is going to be a problem.

Also OL used his own bolt and pin pattern.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Mike, I hear what you're saying.  I've got an email in to Mr. Adcock.  If he doesn't respond, or can't help me, I'll see about having someone else do them.

To me, the biggest pain will be building the form.  The rest should be straight forward. The pins aren't centered, but it looks like it would be easy to make a pattern off the existing limbs.  Heck, a person could even grind off the old ones and put in new.  

I don't think the limbs are made out of any top secret materials, either.  It looks like bamboo cores, bamboo veneers, and clear glass.  The wedges look like ebony.  The tip overlays are micarta.

I'm just about talking myself into building them myself.  I just need to get a bandsaw and a sander.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
The king is dead - long live the king.  Looks like a good time to get a new bow.  Sorry for your loss.  Try to make the best of it.  H

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I can't let it die.  I haven't even bloodied it yet. I'll get some new limbs, even if I have to build them myself.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Well there is Duct Tape.  H

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
you could place an add for a set of limbs, some times guys order several sets for a single riser..but like Mike said each one was hand fitted so you may have some problem with cosmetic fit..

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
That's what a limb looks like when a non-fast flight bow is shot with a fast flight string. Either the bow wasn't made for fast flight or the phenolic on the limb tips some how failed negating your fast flight protection.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff..it looks to me like the FF string cut through the tip overlays....

I know how you feel...my fav custom bow cleaved in half at the handle/pivot at full draw last summer.  if I hadn't had a limbmount quiver on it I would bet I'd be missing a few teeth or worse!   glad you didn't suffer anything worse in the loss.  hope you can get it fixed.   me, I bought a BW off the classifieds here and couldn't be happier.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
OL never made any "non FF" bows or limbs.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Sure glad you weren't harmed.

Had a Border w/Hex V limbs break on me and blacked my eye really good last year. I was glad that was all that happened. I can testify that those static tips really store the energy.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Sorry about that, glad your not hurt.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I had a Paul Shafer recurve limb fail many years ago due to a starved glue joint, but it didn't look like yours at all. You've got a lot of wood still attached to both sides of the split, and mine didn't.  It looks to me like your glue joint held on both sides, and the wood was pulled apart. Experienced bowyers will know much better than I do, but I'd suspect a cracked tip overlay allowed the low stretch string to rip right down through the limb.  The lam coming apart was a side effect, not a cause.
Tom

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Oh, yeah, failed to say that I sympathize with you.  That experience is heartbreaking. I sure don't want to go through it again, especially with my Adcock!  Don't lose the parts you have left...a set of limbs may come available, or OL might actually be able to help someday.  I believe him to be a good man who's having some tough times, and I sure hope he gets back in the groove again soon.
Tom

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
i'll bet it works out .its good theres no damage to physically   :campfire:  sorry to hear O.L is having troubles

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Find someone to glue you up a set of Binghams td limbs.They will work on your riser with a little fitting to match the pin holes.The Adcock limbs were glued up on the same form.Many people build the Bingham bows so I am sure you can find someone to do it.You could just send them your riser and have them refinish it and mount the limbs.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
wow, that FF cut right through that glass!!! glue lines looked good but looks like a faulty tip material.  ive seen delams exactly like this one from fast flight strings on non fast flight bows.
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Sorry about the bow.....if it was me I'd contact Mike @ Maddog Archery.  He can make ya a set of limbs.  He has one of mine and is makin' 2 sets of limbs for it.  Should be done any day now.  Send him a PM and see what he's got to say. Good luck, hang in there.  :archer2:

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
That truly bites the big one,But the good side is you have an excuse to buy a new one.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©