3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JoJan Fletching Troubles  (Read 480 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
JoJan Fletching Troubles
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
The problem is that I am not getting full contact of the quill onto the arrow. Basically, the first inch or so of the quill on the nock end contacts completely and from there to the tip only the righthand side is making contact leaving a gap.

I'm using right wing fletching with a helical clamp. I've tried playing with the offset extensively but I keep having this problem. I've attempted to use some left wing fletching I have but the problem persists.

Now, while doing a dry-run, I noticed when I set the clamp in the jig that there was a gap between the clamp and the arrow in the center, but not on either the distal or proximal end. Is this normal???

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: JoJan Fletching Troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Try not pushing the quill all the way to the base of the clamp. Leave the quill "proud" and when you put the clamp into the jig use a slight pressure to set the quill agianst the shaft.
JoJan has a website:  www.jojan.net  they might be able to help you also. They also sell spare parts for the jigs. After 20 years the springs on the clamps can wear out like mine did.

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Loosen the wing nuts that allow you to do the offset adjustments on both ends of the clamp. Once loose, put an arrow in the jig, a feather in the clamp, set the feathered clamp down onto the shaft, make adjustments to the amount of offset until you have good contact between feather and shaft.
Bernie

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Thank you guys!

From the JoJan website:

1.)When the middle of the vane does NOT touch the shaft, you have not set up the multi-fletcher correctly.

I just realized that while I had played extensively with the v-bar offset I had failed to do anything with the nock receiver end.   :knothead:  

I can be a little dense at times.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I bet m60gunner is still right about not pushing the quill to far in . I have a jojan multifletcher and when I first got it I adjusted it every way you could adjust it but still could not get the fletching to contact the shaft completely . Someone told me I was pushing the quill to far in and bingo the problem was fixed .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I've never had any problems with my Jo-Jan.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Brittman,

I'll give that a try too if a lack of contact is still present. I typically leave about a 1/8" of the feather out but I was still only getting contact along one edge. I believe I may have had the nock receiver end set at straight.

Thanks!

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I've never had any problems with my Jo-Jan.
Good for you.

I'm not bashing JoJan; I'm just needing a little advice on using it correctly. I've only ever used a Bitzenburger.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I have a similar problem with my bitz, thinking of trying a Jo-Jan.  Any thoughts on which you prefer?

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I don't have an opinion quite yet, mostly due to the fact that I wasn't setting up the JoJan correctly. I do like the JoJan clamps better though.

Dusty

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Once you adjust the offset to where you're getting good feather quill contact the full length of the feather you're good to go.

I also do like M60 Gunner suggested except I leave both the front and back of the feather proud. That and a good adjustment of the offset will ensure good glue lines.

I mark both of my adjustment slides on both ends with a permanent marker for different size shafts and for right and left wing. That way you can change shaft diameter or wing and still have your settings be repeatable.  I also mark the clamp itself as to where to place the back end of the feather so that I have the feathers evenly on the shaft.
Bernie

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Some of the guys that I know that use the Jo Jan use magnets on the sides of the clamps to weigh the clamp down. Flat magnets, that comes in a roll. Kinda like a refrig. magnet, then cut to length. They cut them the same length as the clamp and stick one to each side of the clamp. They say it helps alot. I can't say for sure. I use a bitz. Gap
"Just passing through"

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Dusty,
Make sure you are using a right wing clamp with a right wing fletching is the first step.

Not all fletchings are created equal. Sometimes I get into a batch that give me the same problem.  You need to adjust the top and botton offsets on the jig.  One adjustment to the left or right and the other the opposite way.  Don't go to the max, rather experiment and move one step at a time either top or bottom. Feel your way through it. It will come apparent after your first adjustment. Then do a dry run to see if it lines up.

One trick I learned through experience is to open the clamp and coat it with bow wax. Not too heavy.  This slightly grips the fletching. I do not put the quill flush with the bottom of the clamp rather I leave an 1/8" (or less) depending on the fletching.  The wax will grip the fletching on the way down to the shaft as you put it in the guide and it will seek its own level. This will put enough pressure. Using the correct amount of glue you should not experience any problems.  (One important fact - I clean my shafts with denatured alcohol before gluing fletching). You may have to hold your finger on top of the clamp for a minute or so to make sure the contact is consistent across the shaft as referenced above with using magnets to weight the clamp.  I use the single clamp system.

Been doing this for years with no issues. It works for me, but I bird dog every fletch and look it over before I turn my back on the glue up.  

It doesn't happen often but you do get into some fletching that doesn't quite want to cooperate.

PM me if you have questions.

Good luck,

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I appreciate the advice guys. I should have a chance to sit down with it tonight and do some tinkering.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©