3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kauai- Take 2  (Read 1832 times)

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
Kauai- Take 2
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Hello all,

I just got back from my second trip to kauai in the last 6 months and just wanted to tell you a little about it.  The first trip was a honeymoon for me and my wife, and I got to do a little hunting too.  Well on that trip I got the bug and just had to make it back there.  We're now expecting my new hunting partner (ha ha), so I figured it was a perfect time for a little solo trip before things get busy, so..... I blasted over to Kauai for six days of hunting along the kalalau trail.  

Here's me at the trailhead with rental car, loaded pack, and bow ready to go find some goats.  The hunting proved difficult on this trip, with good opportunities hard to come by, but I took game, met great people, and enjoyed myself immensely, so read on.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kauai- Take 2
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Cool start to a story!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

It was dry on the trail, in fact I got almost no precip during the week I was there.  This was much different than what I expected, and in stark contrast to my last trip.  While this made for very comfortable conditions, I think it made the hunting tougher.  The goats seemed to be dispersed, and were hanging out on the high ridges rather than the lower more accesible areas.

This picture of the kalalau valley gives you an idea of what the terrain is like.   Those slopes are carpeted in dense chest high thorny vegetation, so be ready to get torn up.  Pretty spectacular though eh?
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
The state issues 3 day archery only permits to hunt the napali coast state park, so my itinerary was to hike in and hunt for three days, come out and renew my permit, then go in for another three.  I knew my hike in on the first day would take me through some likely areas, and I had hopes of getting into goats on my way in, but on this particular day they weren't there.  It was great hike though.

here is a huge mango tree at about mile six on the trail. No fruit this time of year, but from what I hear during august and september the pigs can't stay away.

This is some boar sign that I found near camp that evening.  This is probably old hat to you fellas who get to hunt pigs all the time, but for me it was pretty cool to see.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Great pics! Cant wait to see more.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »

The next day I was on the trail early and located several groups of goats, but my stalks came to nothing in the swirling winds, reminding me that these goats and their survival instincts demand respect.  Any unexpected human scent, or a glimpse of a person where they didn't expect to see one (which is anywhere off the trail), would mean instant goat exodus.  so that evening when this young nanny lagged behind the group I didn't hesitate.

I was after all relying on fresh goat meat to keep starvation at bay.

Yummy...

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Awesome story and pics, keep it coming   :thumbsup:

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
What a trip. Thanks for the  pics.

That fresh Goat is making My mouth water.   :bigsmyl:

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Excellent adventure and pics.  Congrats!  Those goat shish kabobs look delicious.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Whoa!! How very cool! Awesome pictures too! I remember being there once for 5 days but when I left there I wasn't headed back home to my honey. In fact I had met my wife there and when our time was up she went back home and I went  back to the army's version of Disney World at the time..lol

Your pictures took me back in time and I can almost smell the meat roasting over your fire. Thank you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Man o man do i hope to get there some day. As ya know we were planning on our honeymoon there until we both recieved word that we are out of a job.
 We are planning on the same date ( july 20) for 10 days.
 Keep those pics coming DHR  :)    Bill

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Things began to look up the next day as some of the previous days scouting and exploration paid off.  I caught this girl filtering through a stand of trees on her way to the ridge top after the nights feed.

Shortly after this i shot another goat, a young billy, from this same ridge, but gravity exerted it's uncompromising effect and took the goat to an unrecoverable position on the rocks below.

I loaded up the meat from my nanny and went down the trail in search of euther more goats, or some new friends to cook goat meat with.  I encountered the latter first, so a feast and siesta ensued.

Oh yes and just a reminder, be carefull when skinning goats.  Luckily my wife's a nurse and packed me a good first aid kit!

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
The next day I needed to march out so I could report my first three days hunting activity, and renew my permit for the next three.  I took a few moments with my coffee that morning to record some of the memories.

Then I was on the trail, albeit going in the wrong direction. I admit it was tough to tear myself away from the hunting grounds after I was just getting in the groove.  I left my camp set up so I could travel light.  man was that great.

Thanks everyone for reading this far.  I've got to take a break for now, but there are still three hunting days to go, so stay tuned.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
man that looks sweet  :thumbsup:  
  :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Very cool!
John 3:16

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
tell me what kind of bow you shot for those goats
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Excellent read.  Spent two weeks on Kauai back in 79 or 80, on maneuvers with the USMC.  Didn't get to hunt goats while I was there, but have fond memories of the place.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Hurry back.  Great story and great pictures.

Thanks for sharing...

This hunt is on my list.

Ooh and congrats on the expected new hunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©